Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Racing

Options
  • 26-11-2004 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

I was hoping someone would be able to help me with information on Road Racing, I’m 33 and back to cycling after about 15 years, but I never raced before just trained a lot, I have just purchased a new road bike and some clothing and I’m starting to get some miles in about 3 times a week. I’d like to know about clubs on the south of Dublin and any info available on entry level to Racing for me would be great.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Vincent

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

don't ask for much do you! ;)

to start - training.

wknd both days, build up to 2 or 3hrs on alternate days, that is 2 hrs on the Sat 3 hrs on teh Sunday. Building up to this (and beyond) is typically best done by yourself or with one other. Groups force the pace too much and you'll suffer long term for it.

may be into the gym once or twice, bit o body strength. Cycling weights programs are avilable online. Get back to me if you find a few and aren't certain.

Start doing a little bit of speed work in Jan, just upping the tempo for 10 mins at a time on your spins 2 -3 times in your 3 hr spins.

Feb - add a few intervals into the mix, increasing the length of the interval from 1 min to 4 mins week on week.

March - the racing begins.

Most important and overlooked factor is rest. If you don't feel motivated or feel a little under the weather take it easy I really mean this. I have found out the hard way.

Every 4th week drop back the hours trained so you recover. This is you macro training cycle.

There's an awful lot of info out there. A fair bit of it conflicting. This is pretty generic stuff. Just find a routine you feel comfortable with and go with it - Don't take the hardest bits from several routines and melt them together into some hybrid destined to kill you program.

Clubs? what part of South dublin, Tiernans, dundrum/orwell would be my call but there are plenty others catering for all sorts. Irishcycling.com has details as well as cyclinireland.org

E

Advertisement