Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blinking light "wireless LAN"

• 27-11-2004 12:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭

I'm afraid someone intruding on my wireless connection, i have noticed the "wireless LAN" light is blinking on the modem router even when im not using the wireless connection.

Can this light sometimes blink even when there's no activity? Im talking about quite continuous blinking, like 10 times, but not so fast as the LAN 1, LAN 2 etc.

Tnx.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Quite simply, TURN ON YOUR ENCRYPTION AND PASSWORD THE DAMN WIRELESS!

This is the step most people forget, to their loss. If you don't password/encrypt the lan, then any joe soap can connect into your router, and use your internet, which is exactly what my friend is doing to her neighbours.

If you're router cannot do this, then i strongly advise you to get a new one, but as a stopgap measure try setting your router to disable DHCP, and manually assign a random IP to your laptop/computer and make your router only accept connections from that IP address.

As for whether the light means its active or not, just check the manual. Its quite possible that the green light is just the router scanning for wireless cards in the nearby area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Quite simply, TURN ON YOUR ENCRYPTION AND PASSWORD THE DAMN WIRELESS!

This is the step most people forget, to their loss. If you don't password/encrypt the lan, then any joe soap can connect into your router, and use your internet, which is exactly what my friend is doing to her neighbours.

Yep - Its a bit like leaving your car keys in the ignition while you're shopping in Tesco.......

Blinking light could be scanning - mine's encrypted, but still blinks when its looking for cards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

If your wireless access point is any good at all you should be able to configure it to secure your wireless lan in the following ways.

1; Mac address masking, This is where your configure the router to accept connections only from MAC (Media Access Code) addresses that you specify thus tying access to specific wireless cards or hardware.

2; If your access point supports WEP (Wireless Encryption Protocol) then turn it on to the highest encryption strenght it alows. This will help prevent packet sniffing on your lan. Use a hexadecimal encryption key
    Example of a 128 bit key (b6 ee 15 cb 75 42 32 15 88 80 0c 5a ae) if your equipment supports it.

Either of these methods can be subverted but using both together makes it impossible for all but some uber leet haxor to find a way in.

Advertisement