Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I buy Component cables for DVD to TV

Options
  • 27-11-2004 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking for RGB Component cables for my DVD to TV. I'm in Swords, I've checked in Harvey Norman, Argos as an outside chance and nought.
    Sony Centre ?

Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

alliance electric on georges street. i got ixos cables for €70. well worth it, the difference is outstanding

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

Is it really worth forking out 70 uri ?
    Is there big difference between cable types, gold-plating etc ?

Thanks.

well, if your tv has component i guess its fairly high end (as is mine) so i dont mind spending €70 to get the best on my tv. im fairly sad but those cables cost 1.75% of the value of my tv, which, in perspective is nothing. with regards to gold plating etc. i have never tried any other component cables except these so i dont know if that make a huge difference. i went from a gold scart to these gold components and i did notice a considerable rise in quality, and it was a good scart i had before.

its like having a ferarri and never seeing how fast it can really go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

sorry to go slighly off topic but I have a marantz dv 6200 dvd and a component input into my tv. My question do I simply connect the scart output to the component input on the tv using one of the leads mentioned in the thread?

Thanks

big_moe wrote:
    well, if your tv has component i guess its fairly high end (as is mine) so i dont mind spending €70 to get the best on my tv. im fairly sad but those cables cost 1.75% of the value of my tv, which, in perspective is nothing. with regards to gold plating etc. i have never tried any other component cables except these so i dont know if that make a huge difference. i went from a gold scart to these gold components and i did notice a considerable rise in quality, and it was a good scart i had before.

its like having a ferarri and never seeing how fast it can really go.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I think we have a mix up in terms here. Firstly though

Mrbungle: Harveys have indeed got component cables in stock. These cables are in lengths of 1m, 2m, 5m, 10m and 15m and comprise of 3 cables with gold plated RCA Phono connectors.

They are on a wall rack to the left of the PS2 display - higher quality (read - MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE) ones are positioned between the 2 auditioning rooms.

Some appliances provide component out on non-standard SCART/peritel sockets where a menu option in the software will change the output type between RGB and Component (Y - R-Y - B-Y). Which type do your appliances have ? It's rare to find TV's with Component inputs unless they're Projectors or Plasma Screens in my experience.

ZEN

• Advertisement

ZENER wrote:

Some appliances provide component out on non-standard SCART/peritel sockets where a menu option in the software will change the output type between RGB and Component (Y - R-Y - B-Y). Which type do your appliances have ? It's rare to find TV's with Component inputs unless they're Projectors or Plasma Screens in my experience.

ZEN

Hi, thanks for your reply. The dvd Marantz dv 6200 has scart out and the tv has both scart and component input, its a 44 inch toshiba projection

Tony: Is this your player ? According to the spec sheet it doesn't have component out but does have RGB scart which should be better than svideo or composite.

ZEN

ZENER wrote:
    Tony: Is this your player ? According to the spec sheet it doesn't have component out but does have RGB scart which should be better than svideo or composite.

ZEN

Yes it is, am currently using the rgb but was not quite sure if this was also component, I'm guessing component is the next level up in terms of quality? Is it worthwhile upgrading the player? can you recommend one?

Thanks for all your help so far

The terms are often incorrectly interchanged it's no wonder people get confused !!

As for changing your DVD player - by all accounts it's a decent unit and the only reason for changing it would be for component out. If your new TV does have component in and supports Progressive Scan then it would be of benefit if not then keep the player - buying something as good again will cost you much mullah !

If Robbie is around he'll fill you in on the good the bad and the brutal units as he has far more experience of them than I have seeing as how he supplies and installs that type of gear.

ZEN

is that Robbie from legend AV ?
    ZENER wrote:
    The terms are often incorrectly interchanged it's no wonder people get confused !!

As for changing your DVD player - by all accounts it's a decent unit and the only reason for changing it would be for component out. If your new TV does have component in and supports Progressive Scan then it would be of benefit if not then keep the player - buying something as good again will cost you much mullah !

If Robbie is around he'll fill you in on the good the bad and the brutal units as he has far more experience of them than I have seeing as how he supplies and installs that type of gear.

ZEN

• Advertisement

yeah that is robbie from legend av. i have a panasonic 37" viera and the pioneer 565 dvd. it has component out and wasnt too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

big_moe's Pioneer DV-565 is my current fave for superb quality component out from an affordable DVD player. SACD and DVD-A are a bonus too.

Regarding the cables, there's a massive jump up from your basic 'freebie' phono cables to gold plated cables costing say €20 or so. Banbridge or Profigold would be good examples of cheap but very good cables. From there, there is less of a noticable difference using a €20 component lead versus a €70 component lead. Having said that, your system is only ever as good as your weakest link, would you feel comfortable connecting €10k worth of stuff together with a €20 lead? The more you spend on your TV stuff, the more likely you are to see the difference with the leads, and the difference gets smaller the more you spend on the lead, if you get my drift.

robbie1876 wrote:
    big_moe's Pioneer DV-565 is my current fave for superb quality component out from an affordable DVD player. SACD and DVD-A are a bonus too.

Looks like its been replaced by the 575 which has divx capability. Anybody wanna buy a marantz dv 6200 :):) just kidding mods

the 575 (afaik) isnt available until after christmas, at least. i could be very wrong in saying that, but thats what i have been told!

• Company Representative Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi there its john Mc from richer sounds - we have several types of componebt cables from Cambridge Audio, starting with the standard 2 meter at £50 (approx €73) Component premiums at £80 (approx €120) right through to the component premiums 5 meter at £100 (approx €145) these are all in stock and you can see them on www.richersounds.com & if you call the guys in Belfast and tell them you are a boards.ie member they will ship any of these to you anywhere in Ireland with free shipping! give them a call on 01 671 9666 and your call will be redirected to Belfast - Thanks !

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

big_moe wrote:
    the 575 (afaik) isnt available until after christmas, at least. i could be very wrong in saying that, but thats what i have been told!

I've seen it advertised on several sites on the net and Rob spoke to some guys today who have it

Advertisement