Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wireless question

• 27-11-2004 1:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

I got a new laptop today, a Sony Vivo. I want to us it on the net, now i have a cable modem for my PC. how can i use it on the laptop and on teh PC at the same time.

is there a wireless thing i can get to do this?

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

How does the cable modem connect to the PC - ethernet or USB? What make/model is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

i have it via ethernet , but i can do it via USB, I have NTL cable modem. do yo need the mobel ?

You should be able to connect an access point to the cable modem, and use a wireless card in the laptop to connect to it. You can then either get a wireless card for the PC, or get an ethernet switch/hub to connect both the laptop and the AP to the cable modem.

What's your PC's IP address?

why do ya need my IP ?

Can anyone link me to a page where they sell them so i know what they are and what they look like .

thanks,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

• Advertisement

NeVeR wrote:
    why do ya need my IP ?
    Because how you do what you want to do depends on whether your cable modem is a NAT router or not.

oscarBravo wrote:
    Because how you do what you want to do depends on whether your cable modem is a NAT router or not.

it's 81.98.90.97

on the back back of my modem there is a MAC number would that be it,,

Hm, that complicates things. That's a public, routable IP address. It's fair to assume you're only going to get one of those from NTL, which means you need a router. This will talk to the cable modem on the 81.98 address, and assign something like 192.168.1.* addresses to your PC and laptop.

I've no experience with setting up wireless routers with cable modems. My brother had a setup like that in London when he had NTL cable. It's probably similar, so if no-one else here can help you out, I can check with him.

cheers thanks. i'll check with my IT dept in work, they might know

NotMe wrote:

I got this one but i'm having trouble getting it to work,

i cant get the laptop to work from it , the singal to the laptop is "Excellent" acording to the computer, but it wont let me go to any sites,, keep getting an Error. saying "" internet explorer could not open the search page""

anyone know whats wrong,?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

XP?
    Try using a dynamic IP instead of static

how will i get a dynamic IP,, i am on Xp and i did select static

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Right click your wireless connection on the taskbar
    Select "Open network and dial up connections
    right click your wireless connection
    Go to properties