Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free PHP editors?

Options
  • 27-11-2004 4:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭

im learning PHP for my project this year. im using iis but i need an editor. does anyone know a good one that i can get for free? i was using notepad but its crap for a beginner. thanx.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

I use SlickEdit which parses a whole heap of languages. There's Eclipse but you'll probably have to work at it. You might go the extra mile and look for a full blown PHP IDE which will let you edit and debug.

Actually, come to think of it, did you even do a basic Google search? There's tonnes of the damn things. Including this.

Bloody students Ted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

afaik Emacs will parse PHP and give you nice colours when coding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

I use Vim for my coding needs. (Well I use Vim for all my needs.) It will do syntax highlighting and indentation and all that. However it has a steep learning curve. But once you start using it, you'll wonder how you lived without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

just downloaded this http://hapedit.free.fr/hapedit.php and I have to say its looking damn good for the first opening, give it a try sure and its completely free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Context is another program you could google for, or textpad. They have syntax highlighters for php...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Something

I quite like pspad, tis quite a nice editor, loads fast, has some auto completion for html, and quite a few other features. As well as some project management stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Html-kit, loads of extensions, just get all the php ones and away you go: http://www.chami.com/html-kit/

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

If you are using Linux have a look at Bluefish.

jEdit is an excellent editor that is Java based and will run on almost any platform (Windows, Linux, OS X etc.), and it is very extensible with a large selection of plugins.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I use JEdit.
    but anything will do for PHP - it's only text at the end of the day - you don't have to compile it nor nothin'

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

It's free for the first 21 days - and is definitely the best. Zend studio. Perhaps if you are just a student you could get a copy of it from someone ... until you can afford to buy it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

nahdoic wrote:
    It's free for the first 21 days - and is definitely the best. Zend studio. Perhaps if you are just a student you could get a copy of it from someone ... until you can afford to buy it :)

197,24 EUR for an editor for a student project :eek: are you insane :confused:

I know Zend is so much more than an editor, but for a student who is going to spend a few months on a project it is complete overkill

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

i always use EditPlus 2 for php

Advertisement