Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

replacing the xbox psu

Options
  • 27-11-2004 5:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭

can the xbox's psu be switched and replaced with a quieter one ?!? i assume this would not be modding as its just the psu and its basically a pc afterall so i assume it would be simple enough to do right ?!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

The xbox psu is fairly simple to replace. Its just a couple of screws and a cable.

What type of noise is it making? If it the whine of the fan your hearing then its seperate to the psu. So you can easily replace it with another fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

well basically i want to turn it on and not hear a horrible noise, my friends xbox make the same noise but where mine is its really close to my head so its very noisy.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

This isnt for the games board, sending it to Tweaking / Modding...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

The xbox psu doesnt have a fan as such, the only fan in there (apart from early models which also had a second fan for either the gpu or cpu..i forget which one) is a 60mm fan for cooling the inside of the casing. You'll see it at the back. It's independant of the PSU. You could replace it with a quieter 60mm fan, but it'd need a small bit of altering to work I think.

Check out the tutorials section at www.xbox-scene.com for more info on various hardware related mods :) Check under the xbox hardware section, then under extra cooling and silent mods for lots of info on how to quiet the xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

it's a 70mm fan but it makes no odds - i fitted one with an 80mm fan before - but you do have to do a little cutting - 70mm ones are available but they're more expensive

the new fan ran on 12v and was much quieter than the crappy one that's provided and kept the xbox way colder too

Nige

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

cool site im going to follow what they say there thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

Elmer, what exactly was the fan you got and did you have to alter the external of the box? Did you need to change anything else to make it 'suitable' quiet?

Thks
    LK

Advertisement