Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what are you 3 favourate gadgets?

• 27-11-2004 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭

what are you 3 most favourate gadgets that you cant live without?

phones and pc\laptop and pda's are takes for granted, these gadgets can be from anywhere, home\office\ pocket ect,

mine would be: my zen, 20gb of music with me at all times
    my swiss army knife, for those mcguyver moments
    microwave! where would i be with out that!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

what are you 3 most favourate gadgets that you cant live without?
    Damn you Kylen Alive Firehouse, damn you to hell. May all your batteries only charge to 30% - I was going to start a thread with that name (though I was thinking of the more mainstream "favourite" approach biggrin.gif).

Anyway, my top three gadgets have to be:

My Digisender for watching Sky & Co. upstairs without wires.

My bluetooth headset for the mobile phone. Incredible little device.

And finally, my laptop. 1 gig of memory, 5-in-1 memory card reader, widescreen, I could go on. And I have just discovered the joys of a firewire port, a DV camera coupled with a DVD burner and Ulead Studio. Stephen Spielberg watchout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Mine would have to be:

1. My iRiver iHP-140. All my music collection with me on a small(ish) player.

2. My LCD tv. It may only be a 17" and a Beko, but most of these probably come out of the same factory.

3. I don't have it yet, but when I do, my Shuttle. It's just so small, and nice looking. I'm at a loss for space in my bedroom so this should really help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

1.My Mobile Phone, Sagem MyV-55

2. My Computer, How I couldn't do this without it

3. The George Foreman Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine... Doesn;t need a description!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

Fantastic thread

iRiver 40GB mp3
    NGage (yes .... on my fourth headset) ... Family Guy and South Park on it
    Laptop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

Damn you flameboy, damn you to hell. May all your batteries only charge to 30% - I was going to start a thread with that name

sorry, but on a gadgets thread it needed to be done to give others ideas!!
    i hope my batteries arent cursed now!!!!!!!
    the George Foreman Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine

ive one of those puppies too, they are so sweet! gonna grill up some lamb burgers now! also what is the deal with the usb baby george?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

My mobile phone, my laptop and my plasma screen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

plasma screen! show off!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

My DVD-Writer (that satisfying feeling you get when your films/music are all nice and backed up).

My Bicycle - how the hell do people live without one? I can go anywhere without relying on other lifts/busses/trains etc, it helps me keep fit, it's cheap (I don't have to pay €500 a year for bus to college/work/out).

My friends (I don't think I'd be bothered living without them).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

tribble wrote:
    My DVD-Writer (that satisfying feeling you get when your films/music are all nice and backed up).

My Bicycle - how the hell do people live without one? I can go anywhere without relying on other lifts/busses/trains etc, it helps me keep fit, it's cheap (I don't have to pay €500 a year for bus to college/work/out).

My friends (I don't think I'd be bothered living without them).
    I think we're stretching the boundaries on the whole "gadget" definition here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,047 ✭✭✭✭Basq

iPod - hours and hours of music of my favourite music at my fingertips! Have had it over a year and have not a bit of bother with the battery.

DVD-Writer - very useful for "backing up" films... that reminds me, must get some blank DVD+R's!

Nokia nGage - this phone has gotten a lot of stick, but besides the whole speaking into the side like a giant ear.. it's a great phone! Got a radio, MP3 Player (not that i'd use it with the iPod), Bluetooth. I've also got loads of emulators (MAME, Frodo for C64, GoBoy for GameBoy etc.) on it, a guitar tuner which works quite well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,047 ✭✭✭✭Basq

tom dunne wrote:
    My bluetooth headset for the mobile phone. Incredible little device.

Was thinking about getting one of these myself but i've heard of a few people they don't hold battery very well and need to be charged very often.. is that true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

My mobile. Its a Nokia, but I forget the type. It works mostly, so is handy for take-aways, and organising the weekend :cool:

The PC. Great for passing time, and playing games on.

Alarm clock. Usually wakes up the entire house before it wakes me up, but its a lifesaver. Great when I have a job to go to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Ipod - Bloody thing is amazing
    Nokia 7600 - For those "Whoaaa what on earth is that ?" moments, plus its a nice fone
    Xbox - Modded and loaded with every comedy tv series known to man, irreplacable

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

PC
    One 4 All Chamleon it changes everything tv video dvd etc.
    Wi Fi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

My N-gage QD - the original n-gage was just a little too big, plus you had to talk with it held sideways - not any more. You can play full films on it - at the moment I have some "adult" films on my mmc - great if you work in a boring job!! :)

My 80gig iomega portable hard drive - great for "backing up" other peoples mp3 collections.

My iRiver iFP390T http://www.iriver.com/html/product/prpa_product.asp?pidx=37 where would I be without it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭Darwin

My fav. top 3 gadgets at the moment would be:
    1. Solar powered titanium Casio pathfinder watch with more sensors than you can shake a stick at.
    2. Wireless weather station including localised weather forecasts.
    3. Minota Dimage Z1 digital camera that gives 20x optical zoom with 2x telephoto lens attachment.

Good site for gadget stuff here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

My mini-disc man,phone and my PC(internet,would be loas without them)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

basquille wrote:
    Was thinking about getting one of these myself but i've heard of a few people they don't hold battery very well and need to be charged very often.. is that true?
    I have the Plantronics M300 - I charged it about two weeks ago and it's still on the go, that's with at least one or two phone calls a day. I would estimate I get on average about 3-4 weeks on it, can't really complain there.

It's pairs beautifully with my ancient Ericsson R520m, and it's great for voice dialling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

SonyEricsson bluetooth car-kit

SonyEricsson k700i mobile phone

1GB memory stick

Farlz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Two 19" tfts side by side for my computer
    Nokia 7610
    and....
    Incar mp3 (out of action at the moment, soon to be 80gig denison)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Where are you getting the Denison? Looks like a nice unit :)

My 3 are:

1. JVC In Car MP3
    2. iMate 3 Smartphone
    3. iRiver iFP595 512mb MP3 player

If I was to add a 4 and 5, they'd be my Nintendo DS, and Nomad Zen NX (which I use as a portable HD and not an MP3 player!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Mini iPod
    Nintendo DS (I'd sell my granny for one right now...)
    The phone a guy in work has (he has episodes of Zim saved onto it!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

Ipod : instead of taking one cd and getting bored you can hav em all
    Powerbook : Perfect in every respect
    Bluetooth headset

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Mine are, in no particular order:

Bluetooth Connectivity between my PC and mobile.
    My Sony Surround Sound kit.
    My Network.... bit of a wide one, but Really the ability to control a low spec pc that I use for downloading over the network.

John

Oh and my 15 gig Philips Mp3 Player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭tigerwex

1.my new photo ipod
    2.my radio controled helicopter
    3.my camera

so are we all gadget freaks

its so cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Cavman

my pc which so brill so i wont go on about it with a 21" lcd screen with really good response times

my nokia 7610 mobile phone i got months from spain before it came out over here,

last but not least my ipod got to love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

My Laptop
    My Creative Zen 40gb Jukebox
    My Digital Camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Wigertoods

1. irverH320 Fantastic piece of work (even plays videos)

2. Nokia Phone.

3. Dvd writer (this would have been no.1 on my list but it's out of action at the moment)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

1. n-gage
    2. hi fi which plays mp3 cds
    3. playstation and if only for one reason...pro evolutoin soccer 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Used to be
    Digital Camera (Canon)
    MP3 Player (Thomson Lyra, 5 years old)
    Battered GB Pocket with Tetris (I'm sure the cart has become welded to the thing)

Now sold the GB and the MP3 player, still the Digital Cam with a big f***-off 512MB CF card & my ARCHOS 420, because it does everything and some more (MP3, vids, photos + I can swap my digital cam shots on CF straight into it (i'ts got a CF slot)).

EDIT - just had a more thorough read of the thread, I wrongly assumed gadgets as "portable" devices. So (since I've still got one to put in out of the 3 allowed), I'd go for my Wi-Fi'd Xbox :D:D .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

(1) Tivo - Fully hacked with 120GB HD and Network Card

(2) XBox - Modded to the extreme also

(3) MAME Arcade machine

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Jefferson Darcy

bedlam wrote:
    Hmm trying it down to 3 is tough. I think I'd go with:

+ Clie UX-50 - organizes my life and lets me control my powerbook via bluetooth

Hmmm, interesting, I didn't realise any of the Sony products had Mac compatibility. I always lusted over that black PDA they have with the full qwerty board and built-in camera but didn't think it would work with my computer.

Anyway, my two faves:

- TiBook G4

Very expensive at the time (an equivalent G4 Powerbook is now half the price and has more features) but worth every cent. Its a design classic and has never let me down. I run 6 or 7 different apps at once including at least 5 tabs in Camino and its never crashed. Perfect for photo editing, music, watching DVDs and building web sites.

- Canon EOS 20D

Superb camera for the money. Well built, fast and good ergonomics + superb picture quality and tones on stock parameters.

Honourable mentions:

20GB iPod 3G (RIP) - great sound quality if lacking in bass, beautiful design, great integration with iTunes but too fragile and entirely cr@p battery life. Lasted 10mths before a fatal blow to the screen sealed its fate.

Sony Z1 cellphone - had this back in the days of the Nokia 2110i. The Sony was rare, elegant and tiny in comparison to other phones at the time. Great piece of kit.

Sony MZ-N1 minidisc - using this in the gym now that the iPod is dead. Great piece of design and has a light magnesium body, pity the process of recording MDs is so clunky.

Leatherman Juice - bought as a gimmick thinking it would never be used but its been very handy.

Gameboy Advance - loses points as its successor fixed everything that was wrong and made this thing obsolete.

Canon S50 - a compact camera with a strong metal body and full manual controls. Produces amazing pictures if you use the creative modes and works well as a P&S for amateurs as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

1. My N-gage. Got a 256mb MMC card and it is currently holding about 10 hours music. Lovin it.

2. My Watch. Not really a gadget but it is a swatch skin. Love my watch.

3. Not really got a third one. Bah I will find one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

deadl0ck wrote:
    (3) MAME Arcade machine :D

Lucky SOB! :D;) 'wish I had the room... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I can highly recommend one - I also have it networked so I can play other people in SF2 across the Interweb...
    Great for a lads night with lots of beers!

• Advertisement
Advertisement