Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

webley & scott

Options
  • 27-11-2004 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

i recently had returned to me, from the gardai, my late fathers webley & scott mark IV .38 revolver. on condition that it was deactivated first. so the firing pin is filed down and the cylinder is welded to prevent it rotating.
    would it be worth my while applying for a full licence for it and getting it reactivated? is .38 ammo available anymore?
    should i wait until the new year to see what ammendments are made to the firearms act? as i might find myself deactivating it again!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

You could certainly apply anyway.

Ammo is available in other countries, .38S&W (not Special) is interchangeable with the original .38/200 service ammo. It might be difficult enough to import here though because of the low demand.

Practically, reactivating the revolver would be a serious/expensive task. Having weded the cylinders, they would need to be remachined and properly heat treated. You might be better off keeping it as a deact and buying a different live gun if desired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

Practically, reactivating the revolver would be a serious/expensive task. Having weded the cylinders, they would need to be remachined and properly heat treated. You might be better off keeping it as a deact and buying a different live gun if desired.[/QUOTE]

The good news is the webly is pretty common so parts inc the cylinder and firing pin arent too hard to get.However it will be need to be checked over by a competant gunsmith to see if any other "hidden" deactivation has been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Normally deacts have welds / weakening cuts in the barrel as well, for the reason irishglockfan describes, it's easy to replace pins and cylinders. Any of the guns I deactivated had the barrel drilled and the holes filled to retain the appearance.

Most countries have a legal standard for deactivating firearms to ensure deactivation is done to an approved standards, but not Ireland, unsurprisingly.

Advertisement