Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone 3G settings?

• 05-11-2005 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

Someones giving me a 3G phone and I have myself a Vodafone RTG simcard. I'm told I'll need to get the Vodafone RTG 3G settings for the phone.

I can't find them in the sticky in this forum, and I can't see them on the Vodafone website.

Anyone assist ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

ciaranfo wrote:
    Someones giving me a 3G phone and I have myself a Vodafone RTG simcard. I'm told I'll need to get the Vodafone RTG 3G settings for the phone.

I can't find them in the sticky in this forum, and I can't see them on the Vodafone website.

Anyone assist ?

It would help if you said the make and model of the phone :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I thought they were pretty standard to be honest... except for where you filled them in.

It's a Motorola c975 - going out in a few mins and need them - much appreciated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

ciaranfo wrote:
    I thought they were pretty standard to be honest... except for where you filled them in.

It's a Motorola c975 - going out in a few mins and need them - much appreciated :)

Goto www.hellomoto.com

Click on Operator Settings

Turns out you don't need any settings for Video Calling. Will use it for the other settings now though - cheers :)

And not working for Vodafone Live :(

Can anyone tell me if you need to get Vodafone to activate 3G vodafone live access on a 2.5G simpack simcard? Have they simply detected my phone is a non-vodafone supplied phone and simply disallowed me access? I seem to be able to access Vodafone standard WAP ...

Or are the Vodafone Live settings different for 3G users ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

There is a difference between a GSM (2/2.5G) and a UMTS (3G) Sim card.
    GSM cards have a program on them that allows the phone to send the necessary identification data to the network so that the user can make/receive calls etc

UMTS cards have a different program for the same porpous, the diffence is due to the way the UMTS networks operate as well as to improve the security as the current GSM protocols are not as secure.

standard GSM and USIM cards only have the programming needed to connect to the respective networks and are not interoperable. A dual-mode UMTS phone will accept a GSM sim and use it to connect to a GSM network but not a 3G network so putting a vodafone 2G sim into a 3G phone will not allow you to use 3G specific services however a vodafone 3G sim will, and a vodafone 3G sim is dual-mode so will also work in a 2G phone as well. Normal 3G sims (such as those from 3) will not work in a 2G phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Strange, I had my Sonyericsson V800 upgrade posted out to me at the beginning of this week. A new sim card was sent with the phone, however i just stuck in my existing sim card and have been using 3g services without any problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Oh and if anyone could post the settings for a V800/ Z800i? Will be flashing the firmware to a Z800i tonight. I've checked the Sonyericsson wevsite and they only have wap, gprs and MMS settings for either model.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭BigMoose

There is a difference between a GSM (2/2.5G) and a UMTS (3G) Sim card.

That is completely untrue - on the VF network all SIMs will work on both 2G and 3G. There is a difference between newer USIM and the older SIMs, but both work on the 2G and 3G networks.

I have used a Vodafone 2.5G SIM in a Three(UK) 3G phone and could make video calls. It would seem that it's the phone that Vodafone Live 3G services don't support?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Vodafone Live only supports "approved" models for all live services (2.5G and 3G). If the handset isn't a model that VF have an official version then the live portal wont work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Just saw this thread now, and as Big Mooose says, Vodafone will not server up the Vodafone Live portal to a phone which was not passed for use on their network.

Example: Flash a V800 to Z800 which removes branding and enables loads of stuff that Vodafone destroyed the firmware with, but you will no longer get Vodafone Live, only the old wap site

Advertisement