Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between CAT 5 & CAT 6?

Options
  • 05-11-2005 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

I'm going to upgrade my home network from 100Mb to 1Gb ethernet. At the moment I have CAT5 cabling laid, will I have to upgrade to CAT6 for 1Gb ethernet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

no. cat5 will suffice.

quicki on cat5e v cat6 for networks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

CAT5 might just do it, although CAT5E is designed to run at Gigabit speeds, the main difference between CAT5 & CAT6 is that CAT6 has a bigger copper core allowing for higher speeds (Bandwidth).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If you already have the place cabled (structurally or whatever), stick with what you have. Re-cabling can be very expensive. If not, go with cat6. Similarly, if this is a switch-with-bunch-of-cables-running-along-floor-to-pc's arrangement, you should probably buy some cat6.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

thankyou all

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

CAT5 is fine for gigabit as long as it's terminated properly and kept away from non notwork cables. If it doesn't work then get CAT5E patch leads.

Is it Cat5E or CAT6 that allows and extra two connections so you can have more patches ? - only really applies to links between floors or secondary patch panels,

• Advertisement
Advertisement