Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

35's

• 05-11-2005 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭

So anyone taking part in the 35's?

35’s Competition
    Wednesday 9th November 2005
    NUI Maynooth

PROGRAMME OF EVENTS

Club Venue Time
    Archery Main Sports Hall 10am – 12pm
    Hurling All Weather Pitch 11am – 12pm
    Golf St Margarets 11am
    Swimming NAC 11:15am
    Equestrian Acorn Equestrian Centre 12pm – 2pm
    Badminton Main Sports Hall 12pm – 2pm
    Camogie All Weather Pitch 12pm - 12.45pm
    Canoe Kilcock 12pm
    Trampoline Small Sports Hall 12.30pm - 3.30pm
    Gaa F’ball (ladies) All Weather Pitch 12.45pm - 1.30pm
    Rugby (ladies) Rugby Pitch 1pm – 3pm
    Soccer (ladies) Soccer Pitch 1.30pm - 3.30pm
    Basketball (ladies) Main Sports Hall 2pm – 4pm
    Rugby (men) Rugby Pitch 3pm – 5pm
    Fencing Small Sport Hall 3:30pm – 5pm
    Soccer (men) Soccer Pitch 3.30pm - 5.30pm
    Basketball (men) Main Sports Hall 4pm – 6pm
    Volleyball (mixed) Main Sports Hall 5.30pm
    Debating John Hume L2 6pm

Should be a laugh, who dya think will win?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

UL will romp away with the rugby anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

Amz wrote:
    UL will romp away with the rugby anyway.

that'll be hard, seeing its in maynooth

... That was a joke.

UL will probably win the colleges league though, they're probably the only ones that deserve it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Sir

Well if the rugby clubs in DCU (Women's especially) are still having the same crap attendance and terrible coach committment then it's hardly surprising that they're not in contention.

There's some problem if a club goes from attendance at training in the twenties to struggling to getting a regular 7, or 8 every night.

It's a pity because it puts people off renewing membership and those who are serious about their rugby aren't going to waste their time.

• Advertisement

Sir wrote:
    Well if the rugby clubs in DCU (Women's especially) are still having the same crap attendance and terrible coach committment then it's hardly surprising that they're not in contention.

There's some problem if a club goes from attendance at training in the twenties to struggling to getting a regular 7, or 8 every night.

It's a pity because it puts people off renewing membership and those who are serious about their rugby aren't going to waste their time.

i know. we've come to an agreement with a local rugby club and we're playing with them aswell as playing colleges, which means that those who are serious can progress with their rugby outside of colleges. and we got a new coach and things are looking well for us, hopefully!

but in fairness, ul have loads of interpro and a few international players on their team, not gonna be easy to beat them!

Not really an excuse though is it?

Consdiering DCU has a Sports Science department and is not just limited to having current students as players. They're not going to attract interpro/international players given the current and previous levels of committment shown in the club.

Interpro/International players aren't going to risk injury etc. by playing with the club when they're unlikely to make it out of Division 3 at any time in the next few years.

As was seen with the DCU Intervarsity preparation last year people were unwilling to travel with the club as it really wasn't worth taking the time off college. Why would any decent rugby player risk their playing career to play in a competition that they were told (through action as well as word) wasn't being taken too seriously. The preparation was abysmal, due largly to the lack of consistency in attendance. Was it the lack of team spirit that caused so many to drop out? As we all know, if people feel isolated, or like they're not part of the "in crowd" in a club, or society then they're not going to continue putting themselves in such an uncomfortable position. It's a pity that the women's rugby club suffered as a result of this. Maybe they'll learn from previous mistakes. Who knows?

Clubs like UL are in Division 1 and stay in Division 1 and consistently attract good players because they take their rugby seriously.

How many people went down to the rebel county? 12/13 wasn't it? One of those people who was paid for my the university wasn't even playing!

The DCU coach last year was rarely at games. They played players out of position on a regular basis. I saw a winger being played as hooker in a game against Clontarf.

You can't expect to compete in college leagues, or other if you're not taking it seriously.

I know one of your players who has left to play with a Div 1 team elsewhere in Dublin because of this lack of seriousness and fair play to her I say.

You need to change the attitude. You need to take it seriously. Joking about it isn't going to change that fact and alas I feel it will be a long time before my beloved DCU can compete on the women's rugby stage.

/Sir/

dcu aren't playing as an external club anymore, main reason was lack of commitment from players. that's why we're playing club rugby with another club.
    and best of luck to the player who left to play with the div 1 club. i wish her well, she was one of the better players and is missed. as you said, fair play to her.

You know who it was then?

have a fair idea. i know who isn't playing this year and i know some other things that i aint gonna post here.
    and i also know that she has bucket loads of potential and a genuine love of the sport and i wish her all the best in her rugby career and i hope that i never have to face her on a competitive level because i don't think i could catch her to take her down!

• Advertisement

Oh my, but this is all very cryptic.

extremely.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

How did it all go? Who won and so on and so forth?

I can't believe they made you make your own way there. *remembers the last 35s in UL* Craziness...

they didnt make us make our own way there, there was buses...

DCU whopped ass, won on everything except debate (not a sport!!!0, ladies gaa football and mens soccer

proud to say women's rugby won 34-19 and i got my first try for dcu!!! yeay!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Well done to all involved. :D Excellent job.

from what i heard, we only lost in 4 events... womens gaa, mens hurling, mens soccer and the debate but i could be wrong...!

twas a good day, in the nighttime maynooth left and it was only dcu ppl left.

we were delighted with our win, first game of the season and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Zem

Congratulations to everyone who was there and congratz to a good start to the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Why would any decent rugby player risk their playing career to play in a competition that they were told (through action as well as word) wasn't being taken too seriously.

I agree with this, do you think this is the case in mens rugby too? I've signed up for it this year for the 3rd year in a row, however as I play with a Division 1 team in a junior club I'm in bits on mondays for training and haven't attended yet this year. I train at home on Tuesdays and Thursdays so and competition is close for places so I couldn't be seen to be slacking off after a match for college on a wednesday.

Time is also an issue, i simply dont have enough of it at the moment with projects due...I'd like to be playing with DCU but I just don't know if its possible to give full commitment to both clubs.

faigs wrote:
    I agree with this, do you think this is the case in mens rugby too? I've signed up for it this year for the 3rd year in a row, however as I play with a Division 1 team in a junior club I'm in bits on mondays for training and haven't attended yet this year. I train at home on Tuesdays and Thursdays so and competition is close for places so I couldn't be seen to be slacking off after a match for college on a wednesday.

Time is also an issue, i simply dont have enough of it at the moment with projects due...I'd like to be playing with DCU but I just don't know if its possible to give full commitment to both clubs.

I'm the same, i train mondays and wednesday with my club and tues and thurs with dcu. match a fair few sunday afternoons and every few wednesdays. played 2 matches in 3 days and now i'm wrecked!!!
    but i enjoy playing for both so while i can, i will!

Advertisement