Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How high can Wigan finish?

• 05-11-2005 8:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭

Alright, the dust has started to settle after the summer and the new season is in full swing, and Wigan are still second, just 6 points off Chelsea (even though they've played a game more) 5 points ahead of Arsenal, and 7 ahead of United. They've had a bit of luck along the way, most noteably against Fulham last week, but they are showing that they are a very good team. Well organised, water-tight defence and two speedy strikers. And a good young manager. But can they keep this up? Last season, when Everton got over defeat in the first week to Arsenal and stormed into a strong position among the top 4, everybody kept saying 'Well, the bubble will burst and they'll start to slide down the league'.....But of course, that 4th spot was pretty much theirs for the whole season. Is this any different to Wigan? I know they are newly promoted, but Everton had barely escaped relegation the season before their 4th-place campaign.
    For me, the real test begins now for Wigan, with a seriously tough set of fixtures. Their next six games are Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle, Liverpool, Chelsea and Man United. Paul Jewel is still keeping his feet on the ground, saying that safety is their first priority, but are they passed that?

Whereabouts will Wigan finish this season? 87 votes

They can keep this form up and gain automatic qualification to the CL
    0% 0 votes
    They'll do an Everton and cement an unlikely 4th place
    8% 7 votes
    4th place is beyond them but they will finish just below and gain a UEFA Cup spot
    10% 9 votes
    Their luck will run out and they'll finish in a comfortable mid-table position
    32% 28 votes
    They will start to slide down towards the bottom end and could still get relegated
    49% 43 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

2nd.

They wont catch Chelsea.

Its all about the money, its all about the da da da da da dum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

For me, the real test begins now for Wigan, with a seriously tough set of fixtures. Their next six games are Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle, Liverpool, Chelsea and Man United. Paul Jewel is still keeping his feet on the ground, saying that safety is their first priority, but are they passed that?

They wont be happy til they get past the 40 pt mark.
    Maybe then they'll talk about Europe...depending how those matches go.
    It sure is facinating though. They may be "big names", but none are really totally convincing at the moment (ok, Chelsea may be an exception... but they have been rattled recently :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

betwee 8-15 would be a huge credit to em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I reckon mid table, but wont be at all surprised if they stay up in the european spots.

Take Chelsea out of the league, and it would actually be exciting.

ain't that the truth but all due respect chelsea are a class apart. but if sub 2nd place into 1st and give chelsea the league now thats entertainment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Ask me after those next six games :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

id say mid table, maybe in the top 10

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

There is absolutely no reason why they cant continue in exactly the same way that they are going now. They have had a small bit of luck along the way the most of it was down to a very good football team winning games. They have an excellent defence, strong midfield and a great strike force that are capable of getting alot of goals. The thing about Wigan is that they are not great individuals but they are an excellent team that work brilliantly together. Full credit has to go Paul Jewel for that. He has got them playing superbly and they sontinue to win every game they play. People keep expecting them to stop but they dont. I saw them against Chelsea in the first game of the season when they were desperately unlucky and I knew then they were a quality side.

At this stage it really wouldnt surprise me if they keep this run going on none of those next 6 clubs will be looking forward to playing Wigan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I am delighted to see them doing so well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

6th place would be absolutely brilliant for them, but i can see them finishing between 12-16th in reality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

UEFA Cup spot beckons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

it all depends on the next 6 games. If they lose all of them i can see they slipping into relegation. It also depends on their central defenders. If they can keep those to lads fit for the season they will do well. But if either gets an injury, specially de zouw(spelling? ex pompey player) they will struggle big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

10th-12th and they'll be thrilled with that!

Mike.

it all depends on the next 6 games. If they lose all of them i can see they slipping into relegation. It also depends on their central defenders. If they can keep those to lads fit for the season they will do well. But if either gets an injury, specially de zouw(spelling? ex pompey player) they will struggle big time.

They definitely won't slip into relegation. 40 points is the magic number a team needs to stay up. Wigan have 25 points in 11 matches. Can you see them only getting 15 points from their remaining 27 matches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I seriously don't think those six fixtures are as much of a challenge as they look.

I'm travelling to the Spurs match, and I don't expect an easy ride for us (Spurs). I'd happily settle for a draw now.

Least goals conceeded in the league? Wigan, one less than Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

i reckon wigan would take 4th from bottom at the start of the season and the next 6 games will be a big test for them, mid-table position for me

On current form I'd back them to beat Liverpool and Man Utd. Seeing as both games are away, I'd say they'd be happy with draws.

Their next three games are at home so I'd fancy them to perhaps nick a point against Arsenal and Spurs and they've already beaten Newcastle in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Well they gave Chelsea a run for their Billions and could've won the game in the 1st 20 minutes.

I think UEFA Cup is the best they'll achieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Once Wigan hit the magical 40 point mark and don't get relegated the season will be a massive success for them and anything on top of that is a bonus.

Fiar play to them though. No one was expecting the would do this well. At the start of the season I knew they would finish mid-table or so but to be deservedly in 2nd place so far this season ahead of the likes of ManU, Arsenal, Liverpool is incredible. They've won 8 out of their last 9 games, they're on a run, confidence is up and who knows where they'll go from here. They have a proven excellent manager in Paul Jewell, a great stadium, great chairman and a hard working squad. Wigan are going places but the lack of depth in their squad I believe will prevent them from achieving European football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Uefa cup place. They are well organised and have a mean defence.

• Advertisement

Once Wigan hit the magical 40 point mark and don't get relegated the season will be a massive success for them and anything on top of that is a bonus.

Fiar play to them though. No one was expecting the would do this well. At the start of the season I knew they would finish mid-table or so but to be deservedly in 2nd place so far this season ahead of the likes of ManU, Arsenal, Liverpool is incredible. They've won 8 out of their last 9 games, they're on a run, confidence is up and who knows where they'll go from here. They have a proven excellent manager in Paul Jewell, a great stadium, great chairman and a hard working squad. Wigan are going places but the lack of depth in their squad I believe will prevent them from achieving European football.

If they did have one good season though and got into the UEFA Cup, they could attract the players that they need for depth. They were already in for Scott Parker and Owen this season, that shows that they have not only the funds available but the ambition to go for top players.

Nathan Ellington must be kicking himself for leaving two games into the season. I'm sure that he, like alot of others, thought Wigan would go straight back down. Little did he know that he'll be involved in a relegation scrap at West Brom while Wigan are flying high.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Helix wrote:
    i can see them finishing between 12-16th in reality

What have you seen from Wigan this season that in any way suggests they will finish that low? Stop looking at the players individually and look at the team collectively

i suppose your not too wrong there but seriously it does have flash in the pan qualities attached to it, wouldn't you say?

Maybe but then again they havent even looked trouble in quite a few of their games this season. I just feel that people are saying they will finish low just because they are Wigan and naturally in your head because they are a small club people automatically think they will slip up. Im dont think they wil keep this mazing run up for all the season but I wouldnt be surprised if they remained up there in the top 5. Remember that year ipswich came 4th I think and everyone just expected them to start falling down the table as they were supposed to be relegation candidates but it just didnt happen. Wigan might do the same as they really are a good team who have added quality in exactly the right places this season

i have a feelin the christmas period will "find the out" as such, if the manage to stay int their lofty pos after then i will be surprised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Kingp35 wrote:
    I just feel that people are saying they will finish low just because they are Wigan and naturally in your head because they are a small club people automatically think they will slip up.
    A mistake many people made with Everton last season. And Wigan so far have a better record than Everton did this time last season. I think it's a hard one, you never know what can happen with injuries, something Everton were lucky with last season. I expect them to be battling to get into one of the two European competitions, I'll reserve my prediction of which one until Christmas....

Kingp35 wrote:
    What have you seen from Wigan this season that in any way suggests they will finish that low? Stop looking at the players individually and look at the team collectively

common sense

theyre a solid team, but theyll find their level soon enough

a 3 or 4 beatings in a row and they could buckle

anyway, 12th place is likely to only be a few points off europe this season the way its going, so its hardly a woeful finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Wigans team is unfortunately not deep enough, so I think a small injury crisis will see them drop quite a few points. That said, I expect some serious investment in the january window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I think they will finish 6th to 10th. A Uefa Cup position is a real probability. A lot will depend on these factors:

a) how they do in their next 6 games, which are all tough
    b) how they react to any failings in those 6 games
    c) if they get a bad run of injuries
    d) who they sign in the January window and how they perform

Wigan's position is somewhat elevated at the moment as due to their fxture list, they have not had that many tough games. However, as we all know, there are no easy games in the english top-flight, as Liverpool, Arsenal (v WBA), Man U and Chelsea (v Everton) know. So, their good run and position is certainly deserved. However, teams can and do at times have great starts to a season only to see their aspirations fade away in the 2nd half. Teams that can get 22 pts in 10 games are equally capable of getting 5 pts from their last 10 games. Thats football, its usually not constant, even though here are huge discrepacies on the amount of money clubs are spending.

And lets not forget, Wigan are a club with some money, they are not a WBA or a Sunderland.

redspider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

wigan can do an ipswitch on it and make the euro vase but you can imagine all they want is to hit the 40 points asap mind you dident west ham go down with 41 last time out.

I agree that their aspirations for this season will be just to avoid the drop but once they meet that magic number then maybe they will start to believe they can doa bit better. I also agree that their squad is very small so its vital that they stay injury and suspension free if they are to keep this run going.

It will be very interesting to see how they do over the next 6 games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭tel922001

there next 3 games are arsenal , liverpool , man u , if they get any sort of points out of these 3 games wats to stop them goin for the top 4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Mid table at best....as said yesterday on Sky they will view it as 15 points away from safety now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

There the new crazy gang. pure team no individual briliance but as a team collective top quality so far. if they had of got the draw they deserved against chelsea they would have bein only 5 points behind!!!

There doing an Ipswich and will chalenge for Uefa cup and if they buy well in the Transfer window could definitly push for 4th! There is a good wad of cash there for them because Jewell was very shrewd in the Summer bringing in mainly free transfers.

confidence is a great thing in football and they have sackloads of it at the moment.

Like to add Fair Fecks to them for providing some entertainment to another wise dull league so far

woodyg wrote:
    There the new crazy gang. pure team no individual briliance but as a team collective top quality so far. if they had of got the draw they deserved against chelsea they would have bein only 5 points behind!!!

There doing an Ipswich and will chalenge for Uefa cup and if they buy well in the Transfer window could definitly push for 4th! There is a good wad of cash there for them because Jewell was very shrewd in the Summer bringing in mainly free transfers.

confidence is a great thing in football and they have sackloads of it at the moment.

Like to add Fair Fecks to them for providing some entertainment to another wise dull league so far
    Jewell had no choice in bringing in free transfers, he was given £30m to spend but could NOT bring in any big name players he wanted , he was always turned down, i think he was shrewd in not spending the £30m on any player he could get to make his squad bigger, he kept the money and wants to buy the players he thinks is best, hench this is why his squad is very limited in mnost positions, by january , they reckon his kitty will go up to £40m , if they are in the top 6 by christmas, JJB sports owner gave him his full backing , this money is Jewell's to spend in the way he wants not the directors choice wat so ever, i personally think its good for the league wat they are doing, pity liverpool could do the same

• Advertisement

tel922001 wrote:
    there next 3 games are arsenal , liverpool , man u , if they get any sort of points out of these 3 games wats to stop them goin for the top 4?

Their next 2 games are at home to Arsenal and Spurs. Then their next 3 games are away to Liverpool, Chelsea and then Man Utd then followed by two home games to Charlton and Man City. That has got to be one of the toughest set of matches that I have seen on a fixture list and come January we will really see what Wigan are made of.

Kingp35 wrote:
    Their next 2 games are at home to Arsenal and Spurs. Then their next 3 games are away to Liverpool, Chelsea and then Man Utd then followed by two home games to Charlton and Man City. That has got to be one of the toughest set of matches that I have seen on a fixture list and come January we will really see what Wigan are made of.
    jesus that is a big few weeks for them , that must be one of the hardest run ups for any team in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

If they get 4 to 5 points from that list of games they'll be set for there main objective the magic 40 point mark.

if they reach that total (40) in early january we could see a push for europe with the arrival of a few decent players and maybe a striker of good quality with 20 goal range (andy johnson comes to mind).

The money they have available is frightining and if Jewell is shrewd again a finish in the top 6 or higher is a real possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Got to agree with this. If you offered Wigan Chairman 16th position right now. He would take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

A few people have touched on one important factor....the january window. Wigan have more money than most and are not afraid to be ambitious (making official approaches for Scott Parker and Michael Owen pre-season). Despite the reported 25-30 million Jewell had to spend, they didn't land any real household names. So if they get to january still in and around the European spots (which I expect them to) it'll be interesting to see how high they can go with some decent signings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I think they can definitely finish top half. I backed them to stay up at the beginning of the season but I didn't expect them to do half as well.

If they get Graham Kavanagh out of the team they could probably push for
    4th ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

there next 6 games are make or brake, on current form, they could easily take 14 or 15 points or so, however, the games are all tough, and before the season started, im sure they were very worried when they seen the games they had in a row, if there were to loose the first game or 2, then i can see them loosing 4 or 5, i think they still will finish outside the top 10, maybe their safe enough from relegation by now, the have played very little so far and dont have the quality to sustain a challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Wigans next few are not all that easy ...

Saturday, 19 November 2005
    Barclays Premiership
    Wigan v Arsenal, 12:45

Saturday, 26 November 2005
    Barclays Premiership
    Wigan v Tottenham, 15:00

Wednesday, 30 November 2005
    Carling Cup
    Wigan v Newcastle, 19:45

Saturday, 03 December 2005
    Barclays Premiership
    Liverpool v Wigan, 12:45

Saturday, 10 December 2005
    Barclays Premiership
    Chelsea v Wigan, 15:00

Wednesday, 14 December 2005
    Barclays Premiership
    Man Utd v Wigan, 20:00

Saturday, 17 December 2005
    Barclays Premiership
    Wigan v Charlton, 15:00

Ouch! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Logic says they'll finish a comfortable 8th or 9th but i'd love to see them finish in the Top 4 it'd be great for Wigan Athletic and great for the premiership!!

Kingp35 wrote:

just thought this was a fine time to say:

the last few matches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Wigan havent got the greatest individual players but they are a good team. They work hard for each other and that is what makes them decent. Altough in saying that i think they will finish around mid-table which is till a great success for them

Helix wrote:
    just thought this was a fine time to say:

the last few matches

At the time of the comment those matches hadnt been played and tbh they werent expected to get anything out of these games so not a great deal has changed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

I think a comfortable 7th to 9th. Maybe they'll get what they deserve against Chelsea, after their cruel first game of the season.

Aren't some the players being given hypnotherapy?

Advertisement