Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL with low ping and 256k+ upload

• 06-11-2005 12:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a package that gives low ping, and has at least 256k upload - and doesn't have high interleaving.

Eircom and Digiweb both have 3mb/256k packages, but these afaik have interleaving on high. Other packages have only 128k upload.

I have looked at a lot of ISPs but its difficult to find details on their websites, and I know they never state whether the interleaving is high or low... basically 40ping is needed for games.

Wireless is not an option, and the location is Portlaoise, but I would be interested to know about packages that exist even outside Portlaoise.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Smarts 2Mb package has a upgrade path to 256k upload for an extra €5, and appearently if you PM Garfield nicely he'll have interleaving turned off for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Nice one - thanks. This sounds ideal, I'll pm Garfield about it. (BTW Garfield, I voted for you in that vote thing! :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Yogiincork

Illkillya wrote:
    I'm looking for a package that gives low ping, and has at least 256k upload - and doesn't have high interleaving.

Dumb question - what's "interleaving"?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Alvis

Its when your ISP checks whether the data you have recieved or sent is correct or hasn't suffered from any errors. The more interleaving there is, the more ping you get.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Illkillya wrote:
    the location is Portlaoise

You lucky lad, Portlaoise has BT Businesss DSL with famously low pings and no interleaving (their own kit in the Eircom exchange in Portlaoise) and may even have Magnet DSL or Fibre ...some of it has the fibre.

• Advertisement
Advertisement