Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mk.2 Golf GTI.

• 06-11-2005 1:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got a mark 2 Golf GTI? I think that they were the last good VW. I bought one in 1988 and still have it. I'd say it's a future classic no doubt. I also bought one recently with only 64k genuine milage and one lady owner from new.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Any pics junkyard?
    So you have your GTi from new ?!

If so, I'd say it may well be the only one owner GTi in the country.

My father has a mk II Golf (1991) which he won't part with for love-nor-money :D (.......he's currently getting her ready for her third NCT;))

The mk II are a great car, so solid.
    I would like to have a GTi in my future classic collection!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

It had two owners before me Silvera but was in very good condition. It need a revamp now but it has five other patients before it. I have photos somewhere but not digital, I must take some more and I'll post them. Mine's a 1985 silver three door, I think its the nicest colour as it shows off the trims and tinted glass very well. Roll on vintage tax, only nine more years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I bought this 1984 Gti too back in 1988 at Frank Hogans in Limerick. It was only my fourth car ever so you can imagine how pleased I was with it.
    It was a 8v with lovely wide tyres and those nice original Gti wheels. Kept it till 1990 but had to sell it when building my house to pay for blocks and cement etc.:rolleyes:

Golf2.jpg

I still have a hankering for one - but only if its original and unmodified. On Tuesday I am going over to the UK to have a look at a 1991 big bumper one. Its a minter and best of all totally original. If its as good as they say it is I will probably buy it as I am thinking of selling my Caddy van.:confused:
    So this time next week I may have a GTI added to my fleet?

The only real snag with my plan is that I can't get classic insurance for a 1991 car - but a lot of insurance companies immediately take fright at the mere mention of a Golf Gti. If I sell the Caddy (which would hurt me to do as I love that van) I could use the Caddy policy on the Gti.:rolleyes:

I too would love to see some pics of your Gti Junkyard when you get a chance.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

Golf GTI pictures as promised. The silver one I've had since 1988 its a 1985 model, the bumpers were added to it later. The grey one looks shabby because I've sprayed it all over in waxoyl to save it from the weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Do Mk2's have rear disc brakes? I saw one yesterday with them and I wasn't sure, this was on aftermarket alloys, the only reason I could see them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭MercMad

Do Mk2's have rear disc brakes? I saw one yesterday with them and I wasn't sure, this was on aftermarket alloys, the only reason I could see them

..........the 16 Valve's probably do !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

MercMad wrote:
    ..........the 16 Valve's probably do !

Cheers, I was wondering, the front of the car looked tidy, but the rear had a giant exhaust and some stickers all over it, ruined the car IMO

Advertisement