Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd vs. Chelsea 4.00 (Includes Scores)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Ft 1-0

U-ni-ted!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Great. Never felt so dirty, such a turn coat as cheering on Man Utd for the last 2 hours. Thanks God thats over.

Wonder what complaint Jose will have though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I am on cloud nine two seasons in row ending Arsenals record last year and Chelseas this year. It dose not get much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Two losses in their last fifty Premiership matches, such poor form!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Great result for United. Alan Smith, my man of the match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

"Manchester parked a unicycle in front of the goal. What can I say? We are winners"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

WDK wrote:
    I am on cloud nine two seasons in row ending Arsenals record last year and Chelseas this year. It dose not get much better.

Eh... going on such a run yourselves / finishing better than 3rd in the league might just top it, I would say.

Good result for the league. I wouldn't say United have solved all their problems, but its a step in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'll bet you all €20 Mourinho will mention Wenger or Arsenal in his post match interview.

Smith looks like he's been crying...

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

This was a fantastic result but it will mean nothing unless we can build on it and go on a run and hopefully claw back some more points on Chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That was a real plucky, backs-to-the-wall, battling display from United. They were on the back foot for much of the match but still managed to hold on.

However, I still don't think this game will have a big bearing on United's season, they just don't seem to be able to lift themselves for the 'smaller' games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

I knew we had it in us. Excellent result and hopefully a sign of things to come :D

Fergie you legend!

"Absolute Bollox!"

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Smith was my MOTM too, he gave an incredibly determined and spirited display.

Arsenal's record will remain for now, hurrah :)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Fergie you legend!

"Absolute Bollox!"

Very funny alright, even funnier when he was asked to mind his language as there are children watching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

First and probably last time I've cheered for Utd. Well done.

I have to see Alan Smith sure took on board about what keane said so did the other lads.

Are those posters who were questioning Fergusons commitment still questioning it today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

makes me laugh because some of the children watching that game probably heard a lot worse than bollocks from any older people watching with them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

Come on you boys in red, come on you boys in red, ole, ole, ole!!!!

Mourinho sickens me tbh just listening to his interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

The result of this game isn't important in deciding the title race , Wigan are on their way to winning it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

An interesting match. A game where Chelsea performed better than Man Utd, created more chances and at the end of the game came away with nothing. Thats football, you win some you lose some, both teams created chances and Man Utd were the team that got the all important goal. Up to that point it was about 50-50, but from that point onward Chelsea created 2 chances to Man U's.

A good result for the league perhaps, but more important for Man Utd. It doesnt change the destination of the league, I dont think.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Well done Utd, you can quietly slip back into mediocrity now. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't think that United played badly.

We had in that game 4 very good chances.
    One was Fletchers
    One was Van Nists
    One was rooneys when he could have laid it off to Scholes
    One was when ROoney was through and Makelele took him down

United controlled the game in the first half, giving Chelsea pretty much no decent chances.
    It opened up in the second half, when Chelsea had 3 very good chances, as did United. CHelsea were putting on a lot of pressure, but Rio was a rock and dealt with it well.

Mourinho as usual looking for excuses, and hilarious considering up until the very end United were looking to score a second

• Advertisement

I thought Jose was pretty much telling the truth, United were lucky. The only reason they had all those chances was because Chelsea were throwing everything at them.

Don't think he was telling the truth about Crespo though, theres more to that than meets the eye for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Well done united, great result. Mourinho had to slip in the excuses at the end :D. If wigan win the next match thats only 3 points!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

What a game. I'm particulaly happy for Alan Smith who deseved another bottle of champagne for his post match interview.

Chelsea are a fantastic team , of course they were going to create chances but United created quite a few of their own but it was the spirit and passion with which they played made me most proud today.

Their performance gives me hope for the long term that things are coming right. Granted There is still room for improvement but experiencing games like today can only have a positive effect on the younger players in the team.

There will be no metion of a club in crisis in tomorrows papers. They will have to find another story to hype.

If united win their game in hand they will be 7 points off the lead thats not ideal but cetainly not a club being run into the ground as has been said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

That's a great performance :confused:

Seemed to be two teams who were technically sub standard. The amount of missed passes was unreal. United battled so hard, tackled like their lives depended on it, but that Smith got man of the match summed it up. Off the ball worked their arses off, but I didn't see alot quality wise on it from either side. Standard wise, if that's the best the top two in England can offer it's a sad state of affairs, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt and say the occasion was always going to lead to stray passing and the like.

They beat a team who are backed by a billionaire, havent lost this season in the premiership or the past 40 games. All while being called useless and people asking for the mangers head...Yes its a great performance, jesus some people.

• Advertisement

That's irrelevent, I saw nothing in there to suggest they have the quality to go and win the league based on that performance. Battled bravely and made it scrappy but a similar performance could have seen them drop points at hme to Bolton, for example. It reminds me of when they beat the then unbeaten Arsenal twice by working their arses off, throwing a load of tackles in, and still finished comfortabley below them in the league in third.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Davei141 wrote:
    They beat a team who are backed by a billionaire, havent lost this season in the premiership or the past 40 games. All while being called useless and people asking for the mangers head...Yes its a great performance, jesus some people.

I think what some of the people here mean is that the only way United were going to win today was with a bit of luck. In previous seasons when Arsenal would turn up at Old Trafford they would just get outplayed, but the extent of things now is that United are so far behind Chelsea that without luck they wouldn't have gotten the result. They were never going to steamroll Chelsea. It's a good result but people are correct not to be getting carried away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

all the players who were critised[spelling?] really played great stuff

Smith really played great stuff
    if he keeps that up,who knows he could be a proper good midfielder

and Ronaldo was back to his best today

great performance by the team hopefully they'll keep it up

im over the moon with this win :)

Smith played 'great stuff' in that he went around kicking people. Where was his quality on the ball? That wont get you anywhere when you're playing sides like Bolton or Boro or whatever and the onus is on you to break them down and create chances with genuine quality, and that is Man Us problem. Smith is still the same incapable mid fielder in that regard as he was before, it's like Phil Neville v Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I thought Jose was pretty much telling the truth, United were lucky. The only reason they had all those chances was because Chelsea were throwing everything at them.
    That's not true. Chelsea weren't throwing everything at them in the first half, had less of the play in fact....the half in which United scored their goal?
    United deserved to win because of the way they defended in the second half, after everything that's been thrown at them during the week, it speaks volumes about certain characters that they can put out a performance like that with widespread public criticism of them. Particularly happy for Alan Smith; maybe one they this will be looked back on as the day he turned into a quality central midfielder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Seemed to be two teams who were technically sub standard. The amount of missed passes was unreal. United battled so hard, tackled like their lives depended on it, but that Smith got man of the match summed it up. Off the ball worked their arses off, but I didn't see alot quality wise on it from either side. Standard wise, if that's the best the top two in England can offer it's a sad state of affairs, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt and say the occasion was always going to lead to stray passing and the like.

Very true.

Good result for the league and of course Utd, but they were hammered in the 2nd half. Chelsea did everything but score. Utd were playing from pure adrenaline for most of the game.

That might do in one of situations but not over a 38 game season.

People also conveniently forget that united have key injuries, rocks like neville and heinze are out, keane who lets the others do their stuff was also injured. How the f*ck (excuse my french) are they supposed to "play chelsea off the park"? a team with 2 quality players for every position? And dont forget, united had the 2 best chances of the match, ruud and rooney. Its a case of delusion if you think that you can play chelsea off the park for 90 minutes, for 45 minutes united were undoubtably the better side, the second half was chelseas time to try win, and they didnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Stekelly wrote:
    Well done Utd, you can quietly slip back into mediocrity now. :D
    Manchester United - mediocre. You're taking the pi$$

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

besty wrote:
    Manchester United - mediocre. You're taking the pi$$
    yep ;)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    You are joking right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Lucky me bollix United deserved to win,sour grapes from chelski fans,fuc*in bandwagon jumpers the worst kind of them all,where were all these chelski fans years ago when they were shi*e?Probably supporting Man United or Arsenal,im fuc*in delighted MUFC beat them today.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

United have had the lions share of chances in most of the games they've played and lost recently (maybe not boro). Chances clearly mean nothing if you don't put em away. Chelsea may have had 3/4 clear chances to score and didnt but equally united had 2/3 other chances and didnt put them away. Delighted the way the team responded after two losses and a draw, was vital important to win today. I still think chelsea will win the league but ya never know maybe if they get injurys to some crucial players, it could be a different story. That united team was without some of its most influential players; in keane, heinze, giggs and neviller. Think the international break will do chelsea the world of good anyhow even if they are suspect in the post international break games.

God I hate that Mourinho, hated him once he ran down the touchline after the porto last gasp winner......still wrecks my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Now don't get me wrong I'm absolutley delighted United deservedly won and proved that Chelsea are very beatable team once and for all but why today did so many players all of sudden pull their socks up when they haven't arsed themselves over the last month or two? (Smith, Ferdinand and Fletcher)

United have proved that they have the ability to beat top teams like Chelsea but it's no use in putting the odd effort against the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal when the same players who miraculously played so well today won't put in the same effort against the likes of Middlesbrough and Man City. You won't win leagues by trying for a few games and arsing yourselves around for the rest.

All that I can hope for is that United will build on this victory, build their confidence and put in some work effort. I wouldn't bet on it though. Remember a year ago against Arsenal and what happened after that ''miraculous'' victory?

It's not a case of not putting in the effort, as that running around throwing in tackles simply wont work against smaller sides content to sit back. You need a different kind of performance. With the players Man U have they're simply more suited to matches like tonight, like a better version of Everton who so nearly did the same thing to Chelsea.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

We will take it, under the cosh for a lot of it but it is good to see some of the lads putting it about and having some pride!

Still 10 points off but with game in hand who knows what could happen!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's not a case of not putting in the effort, as that running around throwing in tackles simply wont work against smaller sides content to sit back. You need a different kind of performance. With the players Man U have they're simply more suited to matches like tonight, like a better version of Everton who so nearly did the same thing to Chelsea.

I love that little implication there, that CHelsea are in a different class skill wise, which is just simply untrue. The same thing came out of the Arsenal camp when we beat them twice last year, apparently we kicked them to win, which is one again crap.

United played some incredible football in the first half against a team that is notoriously difficult to break down, and made 2 top quality chances. Their defense is better than any others in the premiership, and two top quality chances were created. One was taken.

It doesn't take a different kind of preformance, it takes the exact same type.
    Smith totally taking the opposing AMC out of the game.
    Fletcher and Ronaldo providing great width,
    Ruud laying off, Rooney and scholes creating.
    IF we do this every week, we will win every game.
    Its all about whether they can go on a run, and I think with the international break, which is tbh annoying, but it will mean neville and giggs will be back by then. And Keano will be close to it aswell.

10 points in it with a game in hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Terrible emotions looking at this excellent game!! How can I want Utd. to score? Wanted Chavs to score, but didn't really! All over the place emotionally.

Great game, justifies this month's Murdoch-Money.

PHB wrote:
    I love that little implication there, that CHelsea are in a different class skill wise, which is just simply untrue. The same thing came out of the Arsenal camp when we beat them twice last year, apparently we kicked them to win, which is one again crap.

United played some incredible football in the first half against a team that is notoriously difficult to break down, and made 2 top quality chances. Their defense is better than any others in the premiership, and two top quality chances were created. One was taken.

It doesn't take a different kind of preformance, it takes the exact same type.
    Smith totally taking the opposing AMC out of the game.
    Fletcher and Ronaldo providing great width,
    Ruud laying off, Rooney and scholes creating.
    IF we do this every week, we will win every game.
    Its all about whether they can go on a run, and I think with the international break, which is tbh annoying, but it will mean neville and giggs will be back by then. And Keano will be close to it aswell.

10 points in it with a game in hand

Chelsea simply do have better players.

What you did today was the equivilent of Bolton when they were taking points off the big clubs. It was an amazing performance in it's own way, incredible work rate, passion and committment from the players, throwing their bodies at everything and not giving Chelsea any room at all (And not in a dirty way, it was done entirely fairly). But quality wise? There was very little of it. The goal was a mi**** header (You laughable call this a quality chance, take the blinkers off for jaysus sake. To score from the chance created it took either one of the finest headers in the history of the game or what happened, an attempt to knock it back across the goal that went better than expected. It wasn't a 'quality chance', if he missed you wouldn't even have remembered it), the only decent chance created was Van Nistelrooys. It's a different story against smaller teams who will sit back and where you need that quality to break them down, and Man Us defence will still leak goals, that hasn't suddenly changed.

You can't play that high tempo all action style every week for a start, and if you did you would not end up winning enough games and scoring enough goals to win the league. A good win, no doubt a great day for any Man U fan, but the typical getting carried away with it reaction needs to be cooled down. This Man U team isn't suddenly great again and all the problems gone away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

well deserved man of the match performance from Smith today. You could see it in the faces of the player before kick-off that they were up to it. Great performance from United

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Muppet wrote:
    There will be no metion of a club in crisis in tomorrows papers.

There will be - Chelsea! Defeated in three of thier last 5 games, smells like failure to me! ;)

Mike.

Advertisement