Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd vs. Chelsea 4.00 (Includes Scores)

124»

Comments

i have to say hats off to man united. fair play

they answered the critics the best way possible and have opened up the title race.

Van der Sar i have to say is a fantastic goalie and is playing great stuff. Mourinho needed to be brought back down to earth and now that is 2 defeats in a row. hopefully it will rub off on the other teams that chelsea are there to be beaten in the prem pls god.

oh will the price of that gift grub cd be brought down now that chelsea have 'stopped winning' ???.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Slash/ED wrote:
    Chelsea simply do have better players.

What you did today was the equivilent of Bolton when they were taking points off the big clubs. It was an amazing performance in it's own way, incredible work rate, passion and committment from the players, throwing their bodies at everything and not giving Chelsea any room at all (And not in a dirty way, it was done entirely fairly). But quality wise? There was very little of it. The goal was a mi**** header (You laughable call this a quality chance, take the blinkers off for jaysus sake. To score from the chance created it took either one of the finest headers in the history of the game or what happened, an attempt to knock it back across the goal that went better than expected. It wasn't a 'quality chance', if he missed you wouldn't even have remembered it), the only decent chance created was Van Nistelrooys. It's a different story against smaller teams who will sit back and where you need that quality to break them down, and Man Us defence will still leak goals, that hasn't suddenly changed.

You can't play that high tempo all action style every week for a start, and if you did you would not end up winning enough games and scoring enough goals to win the league. A good win, no doubt a great day for any Man U fan, but the typical getting carried away with it reaction needs to be cooled down. This Man U team isn't suddenly great again and all the problems gone away.

The match today was a typical high class english premiership game ie physical and played at high speed. You're talking about continemtal soccer where nobody is allowed tackle and the game is mostly played at a crawl. As a spectacle what we saw today was far more entertaining that the football you refer today.

BTW Chelsea do have better players than United in some positions but certainly not all , United certainly have the edge up front.. United won today with at least 40 % of their first choice outfield players missing. It was a fantastic game to watch and a wonderful result for all but Chelsea.
    mike65 wrote:
    There will be - Chelsea! Defeated in three of thier last 5 games, smells like failure to me! ;)

Mike.

Maybe they'll sack him eh! ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I only saw the highlights and from there chances seemed to be divided reasonably equally, but you have to say hats off to United.

I can't say I'm surprised though, Ferguson has a habit of getting it out of his team when it matters, and regardless of whether they were lucky or not they have the three points.

Glad I risked their long odds even though I thought Chelsea would probably win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

What you did today was the equivilent of Bolton when they were taking points off the big clubs. It was an amazing performance in it's own way, incredible work rate, passion and committment from the players, throwing their bodies at everything and not giving Chelsea any room at all (And not in a dirty way, it was done entirely fairly). But quality wise? There was very little of it. The goal was a mi**** header (You laughable call this a quality chance, take the blinkers off for jaysus sake. To score from the chance created it took either one of the finest headers in the history of the game or what happened, an attempt to knock it back across the goal that went better than expected. It wasn't a 'quality chance', if he missed you wouldn't even have remembered it), the only decent chance created was Van Nistelrooys. It's a different story against smaller teams who will sit back and where you need that quality to break them down, and Man Us defence will still leak goals, that hasn't suddenly changed.

You can't play that high tempo all action style every week for a start, and if you did you would not end up winning enough games and scoring enough goals to win the league. A good win, no doubt a great day for any Man U fan, but the typical getting carried away with it reaction needs to be cooled down. This Man U team isn't suddenly great again and all the problems gone away.
    Well summed up .I concur.
    United will win nothing of note this year I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Who the hell cares if we win nothing this year, all I know is last year we screwed Arsenal and their poxy run, the same this year with Chelsea. Beating Chelsea for me is like Christmas day tbh and if can beat them again alongwith with Arsenal whilst finishing 2nd or 3rd I will be a very happy man to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

has anyone got a link to Fergies "b0ll0cks" interview after the match. I have'nt seen it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

The Man Utd Fletcher goal was not a clearcut chance. Chelsea got themselves in a muddle defensively and Terry had time to head it clear but he went into panic mode and ball watched rather than using his feet and anticipating the flight of the ball. Its a type of goal that you dont see as often as you used to in the 60's or 70's, the headed lob and it came off.

Goals change games. Up to that point it was an even match, with both teams creating half chances. Chelsea were on top after the goal. Overall, a very good result for Man Utd, some may say undeserved to some extent, but that happens in football. One goal can win close games.

The real test for Man Utd in the forthcoming weeks will be the bread and butter games, and it remains to be seen if they can up their game and tempo against the lesser teams as they did against Chelsea.

By the way, attached is the 10-game league ladder for this year, and last year, and how the clubs have fared in comparison.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

A great victory for United and a smashing performance, football isnt all about flowing passing, volleys and skills. If it was Arsenal would be still winning. The reason Chelsea are starting to drop points is that Mourinho's tactics are starting to become predictable and managers are coming up with systems to combat it. Im sure he will come up with changes and cant see Chelsea being caught even after yesterday.

However, its nice to have the nay sayers back in the United threads complaining that we were lucky etc. and that Chelsea have the better team, it just reminds all us United fans of how jealous you are.

United were missing Gary Neville, Roy Keane, Ryan Giggs and Gabriel Heinze yesterday. Those four are world class players and would all walk into virtually every other team on the planet. To beat Chelsea, who have assembled the best squad in the world, with the exception of forwards, with such a high profile injury list, is an excellent way to get back to business after a bad run but for Manchester United, its not a great achievement.

We should be looking to win every competition we enter and this is just another victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

found the fergie uncensored interview here.....

http://www.uploadsend.com/d.php?file=true&filepath=3980

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Draupnir wrote:
    We should be looking to win every competition we enter and this is just another victory.
    TBH United are reminding me of Liverpool at the moment - for the last 10 years we've had below par seasons but always been able to put performances together for the big matchs. Well done to United for beating Chelsea but you need to get the results against the Midlesboroughs of this world which they're not able to do at the moment.

Very high tempo stuff from United in the first half and if they can do that for 90 minutes every week they'd be challenging for the league, but as I say, at the moment they just remind me of Liverpool (not a bad thing, I'm a fan :))

I dont think United have quite stooped to the Liverpool level yet, but it certainly looks to be the way the team is heading, at least to those who dont take a step back and look at the players who are out of the team right now.

I think everything will be rosy again once we get Neville back at right full and Giggs gets some form.

This United team is still only one player short of a title winning team in my opinion, and thats a central midfielder. The potential list of players is endless. Xavi Alonso from Liverpool for example, could turn this United team, on paper at least, into the best in England.

Once the team is there on paper, its down to the manager to set the mentality right on the park. I dont think anyone can really argue that Sir Alex cant do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭tel922001

Even tho i hate united with a vengance , to me they are the enemy, but a small part of me , was hoping they would win yesterday, i think it could open the whole league if they won, chelsea havent run away with it yet, just in case ye are wondering im a liverpool fan, did anyone else have the same feeling yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Ya, i'm a man utd fan myself and had friends in the pub watchin it with me, some arsenal, newcastle and pool and all were roarin man utd on, twas fairly strange, never seen it before. twas great to watch "the special one" walk off the field past all the utd fans giving him the wanker salute, lmao!!!:D :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

tel922001 wrote:
    Even tho i hate united with a vengance , to me they are the enemy, but a small part of me , was hoping they would win yesterday, i think it could open the whole league if they won, chelsea havent run away with it yet, just in case ye are wondering im a liverpool fan, did anyone else have the same feeling yesterday

Good display by Utd and well done to fergie for playing the 4-4-2....wasnt it Mike Basset England Manager when he came out and said "Im playing 4, 4 f**king 2"....classic!!!

Anyway over the whole game I think they deserved to win it...>Chelsea couldnt get the room that other teams give them....once a player in middle of park got ball Utd where after them like mad men....well done

Anyway I dont think it will make any difference.....Chelsea are still in a strong position and I cant see them losing the head like Arsenal done....they still beat all the lower teams which Utd/Liverpool/Arsenal still slip up against every so often.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Draupnir wrote:
    I dont think United have quite stooped to the Liverpool level yet, but it certainly looks to be the way the team is heading, at least to those who dont take a step back and look at the players who are out of the team right now.

I think everything will be rosy again once we get Neville back at right full and Giggs gets some form.

This United team is still only one player short of a title winning team in my opinion, and thats a central midfielder. The potential list of players is endless. Xavi Alonso from Liverpool for example, could turn this United team, on paper at least, into the best in England.

Once the team is there on paper, its down to the manager to set the mentality right on the park. I dont think anyone can really argue that Sir Alex cant do that.
    LOL Liverpool have spent most of the last 10 or 15 years either bitching about what we'd be like without injuries or claiming we were that elusive one or two players short of a title ("oh what would things be like if Redknapp didn't have to turn up for England every few months and get himself injured...").

Still reminding me of Liverpool tbh :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Good display by united. The players who have not been doing it lately stood up to be counted. I thought the goal was lucky but overall we deserved the win. The back four were very cool in the final minutes when chelsea pressed on and i was happy with ferdinands individual performance. I hope it sets the tone for the rest of the season. I dont think with the players united have that they will challenge chelsea but i'd like to see more of the same atitude. it's easy to motivate for liverpool, chelsea or arsenal games but we need that spirit in all the matches

deisedevil wrote:
    Ya, i'm a man utd fan myself and had friends in the pub watchin it with me, some arsenal, newcastle and pool and all were roarin man utd on, twas fairly strange, never seen it before. twas great to watch "the special one" walk off the field past all the utd fans giving him the wanker salute, lmao!!!:D :D:D

to be honest, i thought that treatment of Mourinho was out of order. Hes a great coach and is very straight about things so I think he deserves a lot of respect. Respect and like are different things.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I think the majority of Man Utd fans on this thread are getting carried away. Yes you beat Chelsea but in the end its only one game. A fantastic result it was but they need to keep that up and I still dont think Utd will be able to raise their game enough to continuously beat the lesser sides like Chelsea do. There were so many factors fireing them up for yesterdays game and they reacted superbly but remeber what happened last year when man u beat Arsenal. There was the same response as this with the fans getting carried away but then the team went and lost their next game to a below average Portsmouth side.

Its only one game and one result so stop getting carried away. One win wont get you anywhere you need to keep it going.
    Slash/ED wrote:

Perfectly summed up here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Just to clarify.

Man Utd played very well and played good possession football in the first half but Chelsea were rampant in the latter part of the second. 3 blank range misses spring to mind - 2 by Del Horno and 1 by Duff and that's not counting VDS's excellent save keeping out Lampards tap in. Chelsea were very unlucky not to score the 2 or 3 they can usually manage because although they turned the game round at the end in typical fashion, they just couldn't get one in.

And in fairness, these are not the stats of a Man Utd controlled game:

Man Utd
    Chelsea
    Shots (on Goal) 10(5) -21(11)
    Fouls
    Corner Kicks 5
    Offsides ----2
    Possession -48%
    52%
    Yellow Cards 3
    Red Cards ---0
    Saves

• Advertisement

stats can prove any point you like though. in fact 87% of all stats are made up.

anyway, last time I looked, good defense was part of football just as much as attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

While yesterdays result was a great boost I have to ask the questions how come they can play so well against a world class side like Chelsea and so poorly against mediocre side like Boro and Lille.

What really annoyed my yesterday was to see the amount of running and effort people like O'Shea were putting in, he was first to nearly every ball yet for the most of this season he has been strolling around the pitch looking like he couldn't care less.

Every time Chelsea got the ball the were closed down quickly by the same players who for the post part this season have stood off opponents and let them play.

It does demonstrate that a lot of united problems aren't to do with quality, they are down to lack of effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Just to clarify.

Man Utd played very well and played good possession football in the first half but Chelsea were rampant in the latter part of the second. 3 blank range misses spring to mind - 2 by Del Horno and 1 by Duff and that's not counting VDS's excellent save keeping out Lampards tap in. Chelsea were very unlucky not to score the 2 or 3 they can usually manage because although they turned the game round at the end in typical fashion, they just couldn't get one in.

And in fairness, these are not the stats of a Man Utd controlled game:

Man Utd
    Chelsea
    Shots (on Goal) 10(5) -21(11)
    Fouls
    Corner Kicks 5
    Offsides ----2
    Possession -48%
    52%
    Yellow Cards 3
    Red Cards ---0
    Saves

would be more interesting to see a set of stats from before the goal to after. If I remember, Chelsea didn't get their first corner kick till the end of the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

masterK wrote:
    While yesterdays result was a great boost I have to ask the questions how come they can play so well against a world class side like Chelsea and so poorly against mediocre side like Boro and Lille.

What really annoyed my yesterday was to see the amount of running and effort people like O'Shea were putting in, he was first to nearly every ball yet for the most of this season he has been strolling around the pitch looking like he couldn't care less.

Every time Chelsea got the ball the were closed down quickly by the same players who for the post part this season have stood off opponents and let them play.

It does demonstrate that a lot of united problems aren't to do with quality, they are down to lack of effort.

hear hear!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

Draupnir wrote:
    stats can prove any point you like though. in fact 87% of all stats are made up.

But only 35% of people know that.

I don't think any United fans are getting carried away here. I see this result much like the Arsenal result at OT last year. It's good to beat the 'unbeatables' but we need to go out and do it against the ordinary teams now. I'd prefer a league match midweek to keep the momentum going but there's no PL football until the 19th now so Chelsea have plenty of time to get over the defeat before their next match.

It's been a really weird season so far for United. 10 points behind with a game in hand and they haven't played very well or had a full squad available. Chelsea will still win the league imo but this win makes things a bit interesting at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well deserved win over the full 90 mintes without doubt. It should have been 1 - 0 and it was 1 - 0. Anything more and it was unfair. Yes Utd had chances to extend the lead and they missed and so did Chelsea so it is a fair result. As Fergie said, what do you expect? That is what Champions do and Man Utd have done it themselves...i would have expected Utd to do the same if they were losing to Chelsea in this game. Fair play to Chelsea for going for it when they were behind. Utd played really well and deserved the win. Fletcher is still a ****ing joke in my opinion, there were a few times he let del horno get past him running in for the shot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

United were missing Gary Neville, Roy Keane, Ryan Giggs and Gabriel Heinze yesterday. Those four are world class players and would all walk into virtually every other team on the planet.

Sigh :rolleyes:

Giggs can barley get his game now with Utd, fit or not. So ill leave it at that.

Heinze had a great season last year but so did John O'shea in his first season at Utd so give him time. Not the best left back in the world though. I think Del Horno is better as well as A.Cole.

Roy Keane is a shadow of his former self. May get his game for most teams but not the top class teams, (Juve, Chelsea etc)

Neville is a great player alright, been there through it all for Utd but the best right back in the world hmmm me think not.

Utd fans seem to be getting carried away with this result as if the squad has magicly turned into world beaters overnight. They are still to many average players in there and this result will have papered over the cracks for now anyway. They still need to invest in January or the summer.

Anyway its good for the league that the rentboys got beaten. Gives the rest a chance to put some pressure on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

masterK wrote:

Because it's the same type of performance!

Take the case of MOTM Smith. Threw himself at everything and ran around a lot. Now, if Man U were playing say someone like Boro at home and drew and Smith put in the exact same performance, he'd be getting blasted on here. Running around alot isn't enough especially against the smaller teams when the onus is on you to break down their side. The Smith example is ideal, in those games he simply hasn't the quality or tactical sense to work, when running around against a side like Chelsea you can get nights like last night. It's like Phil Nevilles MOTM against Arsenal. It's not that they suddenly turned good, though they did up their game alot, it's just it's an entirely different kind of game requires against those sides you mentioned. You can't say "Now we've beaten Chelsea why can't we beat everyone" it's not that bloody simple and Man U still have a side that will struggle badly against those sides for those reasons.

Like I said, it's alot like when Bolton kept taking points off the top sides, though Man U are a better side than that Bolton side, it is similar and they played in the same way against Chelsea as Bolton would, or as Bolton did when they beat Man U in Old Trafford for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

jank wrote:

Giggs can barley get his game now with Utd, fit or not. So ill leave it at that.

Heinze had a great season last year but so did John O'shea in his first season at Utd so give him time. Not the best left back in the world though. I think Del Horno is better as well as A.Cole.

Roy Keane is a shadow of his former self. May get his game for most teams but not the top class teams, (Juve, Chelsea etc)

Neville is a great player alright, been there through it all for Utd but the best right back in the world hmmm me think not.

Utd fans seem to be getting carried away with this result as if the squad has magicly turned into world beaters overnight. They are still to many average players in there and this result will have papered over the cracks for now anyway. They still need to invest in January or the summer.

Anyway its good for the league that the rentboys got beaten. Gives the rest a chance to put some pressure on them.

Jank for ****s sake talk some sense. Roy Keane is still as influential as ever to Man Utd. Giggs is still essential as are Heinze and G Neville. We do not have a squad like Chelsea so these players are rocks for Man Utd. They may not be for Chelsea but they are for Man Utd so stop arsing around. And we were missing them, Man Utd still do have average players who should jump off a bridge AKA Darren Fletcher but he is still only 20/21 so he may magically get some proper technique before he gets to Millers age AKA passed it completely for Utd. He is another clown who came into the club on a unicycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

That goal was definately not intentional. But that's the way it goes sometimes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Slash/ED wrote:
    Take the case of MOTM Smith. Threw himself at everything and ran around a lot. Now, if Man U were playing say someone like Boro at home and drew and Smith put in the exact same performance, he'd be getting blasted on here. Running around alot isn't enough especially against the smaller teams when the onus is on you to break down their side. The Smith example is ideal, in those games he simply hasn't the quality or tactical sense to work, when running around against a side like Chelsea you can get nights like last night. It's like Phil Nevilles MOTM against Arsenal. It's not that they suddenly turned good, though they did up their game alot, it's just it's an entirely different kind of game requires against those sides you mentioned. You can't say "Now we've beaten Chelsea why can't we beat everyone" it's not that bloody simple and Man U still have a side that will struggle badly against those sides for those reasons.

Again Slash/ED gets it bang on here. Its all about tactics. You have to play different tactics against different sides. Its all well and good pressurising Chelsea and not letting them play but then again if your playing a team like Bolton who are not known for free flowing passing football those type of tactics just wont work. You have to play certain ways to beat certain teams. Man U played it right against Chelsea but that way wouldnt work against all teams. There central midfield is still very average especially on the creative front. When the onus is on Man U to push forward and score they dont look like a good side as they lack creativity and are very shaky at the back.

They did well yesterday but as I said it was only one game just like last years Arsenal game was only one game. Beating Blackburn at home gives you the same amount of points as beating Chelsea at home if you know what I mean. Man Utd players like Fletcher and Smith havent turned into great players after one game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Kingp35 wrote:
    Man Utd players like Fletcher and Smith havent turned into great players after one game.

Try telling that to some people...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

masterK wrote:

Its called the Keane effect. Dont worry they'll go back to being their careless lack-lustre selfs again once all the drama calms down and it will remain like that until Ferguson goes. This , IMO , is just a blip on the demise of Ferguson and the current team.

Keane and Ferguson sending rockets up them will not always have the desired effect.

jank wrote:

I didnt say Heinze was the best left back in the world, he has a few weaknesses in his game, but he is better than Del Horno, who in fairness, you only mentioned to avoid showing off your Arsenal bias. I agree with you though, I also think Cole is the best left back in the world. Del Horno is certainly not. You only know who he is because he plays for Chelsea.

Giggs is world class, has been all his career and can still do it at the top level. He regularly plays very very well for United, but its a different role to his former "mazy dribbling" game. Best left winger in the world when in good form. Has been for the last 15 years.

Roy Keane, definitely not past it anyway, again he plays a different role to his characteristic box to box game of the mid to late nineties, but he hasnt had a really poor game in a number of years.

Gary Neville, top 5 right back in the world, best in the Premiership bar none. Care to name a better right back in the English league?

Kingp35 wrote:
    Again Slash/ED gets it bang on here. Its all about tactics. You have to play different tactics against different sides. Its all well and good pressurising Chelsea and not letting them play but then again if your playing a team like Bolton who are not known for free flowing passing football those type of tactics just wont work. You have to play certain ways to beat certain teams. Man U played it right against Chelsea but that way wouldnt work against all teams. There central midfield is still very average especially on the creative front. When the onus is on Man U to push forward and score they dont look like a good side as they lack creativity and are very shaky at the back.

They did well yesterday but as I said it was only one game just like last years Arsenal game was only one game. Beating Blackburn at home gives you the same amount of points as beating Chelsea at home if you know what I mean. Man Utd players like Fletcher and Smith havent turned into great players after one game.

I cant disagree with you on that score, but I would argue that a lot of the problem of late has been a confidence issue. Scholes looks to lack confidence and if we can get him back playing well, United will be right back on track.

Winning big games breeds confidence in a team, so yesterday may have been somewhat of a turning point. I've strong memories of plenty of worse "blips" over the years, memories that remind me not to worry too much about the current spell.

• Advertisement

Draupnir wrote:
    Winning big games breeds confidence in a team, so yesterday may have been somewhat of a turning point. I've strong memories of plenty of worse "blips" over the years, memories that remind me not to worry too much about the current spell.

Yeah I agree with you here that it will give players a confidence boost that is needed but the question remains whether they can keep winning or not. Your also right about the blips before, I think they went 13 games or close to that without wining before. Still the Chelsea game is gone now so they have to look to the next game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

One win that gets United to within four points of Wigan is hardly 'blowing open the title race' folks :rolleyes:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

One win that gets United to within four points of Wigan is hardly 'blowing open the title race' folks :rolleyes:
    More like jarring the door open slightly!

A few more Chelsea slip-ups such as a post international hangover or a defeat at Highbury in December could do that. Unless that happens it's still looking like a very tough ask for the chasing pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

well, it gives the other teams hope that they can be beaten,just say(highly unlikey given wigans opposition but chelsea can drop points on form over the past 5 games) that wigan get the same results as chelsea between here and the time that they play them, wigan win the game in hand and go into that game 3 points behing them, a wigan win and suddenly chelsea have a team level with them and united and arsenal(assuming they increase form over the next few weeks) could be only 3 or 4 points behind...thats what they mean by the league being blown wide open, chelsea are supposed to hav the league won yet they might not be too far ahead just yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Bolton beat Spurs 1-0 and move into 3rd place.

• Advertisement

true it hasnt blown it wide open but it will give teams belief that they can beat chelsea. for instance steve maclaren will be telling his players something along the lines of, "We got 4 v united so if they can beat chelsea, why shouldnt we beat chelsea?"

as well as that blackburn, charlton and everton have put it up to them a bit in recent games.

Yeah thats true. Sundays result has given other teams just as much hope as Man Utd because Chelseas invincibility has been shown up and teams now will feel that they may have a chance against Chelsea. I still feel they will win the league but im just hoping that wont be so much of a one horse race that everyone thought it would be two weeks ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

true it hasnt blown it wide open but it will give teams belief that they can beat chelsea. for instance steve maclaren will be telling his players something along the lines of, "We got 4 v united so if they can beat chelsea, why shouldnt we beat chelsea?"

Yea, and i am sure they said that after they lost to man city last year aswell.

didnt do much good though did it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Not quite the same, they had not gone 40 games unbeaten prior to that. Prem teams were looking at Chelsea this season and seeing an unbeaten team for quite some time, not the case last season. Hopefully they will be a bit more prone to mistakes and people will get amongst them a bit more.

Yea, and i am sure they said that after they lost to man city last year aswell.

didnt do much good though did it?

but the difference with last year is that chelsea were 7 points off the trot at that point (or least i think it was 7 or around that) and arsenal were the team to beat at that particular time so chelsea could pick themselves up without being the target as such and capitalise on arsenals downfall

Advertisement