Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgear router/modem wont connect

• 06-11-2005 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi,

I just got a new router, netgear DG834GT and it wont connect to the internet for me. I'm with UTV. These are te settings:

VPN/VCI: 8/35
    Encapsulation: LLC
    PPOE

MY username and password are correct and I can connect using the Zyxel modem.

Is there anyone out there with this router that had the same problem? Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

MY username and password are correct

Not doubting you for a minute, but have you entered your username as csXXXXXX@adsl.utvinternet.ie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭rrolfe

not sure about your model, but my netgear router worked out all the settings itself when i did the setup. its probbly username / password.

login to the router and see if your connected its usally 192.168.0.1 in IE

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I tried this model router with UTV about six months ago and I could not get it to make a connection at all. Read somewhere afterwards that it is worth checking out to see if there is any new firmware available.

http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/D102700.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

By connecting, are you referring to getting Sync (the i that flashes orange every 20 odd seconds)?

My DG834GT takes a few attempts and several minutes to get sync'd, once it does it's fine. But it means I have to unplug all the phones, unplug the dsl line, power off and power on the modem, then plug the dsl line back in if I lose Sync. It's the same issue regardless of whether I use the splitter or not (and I know - I've supported dsl) I even updated the firmware which did nothing for the sync troubles but did improve wireless reliability.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

tomk wrote:
    Not doubting you for a minute, but have you entered your username as csXXXXXX@adsl.utvinternet.ie?

Again not doubting you for a minute like tomk but make sure you typed .ie on the end rather than .com like I did. Felt like a right fool when I rang UTV Tech support and the tech pointed out my mistake. It is an easy mistake to make though, so don't feel too bad. After all UTV web addresses and email addresses do end in .com rather than .ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Plankmonkey

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay in getting back. I entered the password correctly. This had me completely baffled and close to tears!! As I mentioned I could connect using my modem, so settings or username were never an issue. This is now working for me and I have not changed any settings (honest!) I'm still baffled. It's not perfect though, if i disconnect I have trouble reconnecting, i actually have to sit there and keep pressing the connect button over and over and over for about 15 minutes and it connects eventually. I know the router retrys until it connects automatically but I've left it to its own devices for 4 hours and it doesn't connect.

I'm blaming UTV.....just because it makes me feel better and they're usually to blame anyway :p Roll on BT in the next 1-2 weeks.....

Advertisement