Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romania & Bulgaria in EU

Options
  • 06-11-2005 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

I remember there was a lot of controversy about the nice treaty and when the other 10 countries joined the E.U but I haven't heard peoples' opinions on these 2 countries (Romania and Bulgaria) who will be joining in less than 14 months time. So waht are your thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭PlayaFlow

hmm , maybe i should get this started ......."bleedin romanians comin into our country etc." , (joking)

I personally believe these 2 countries have improved a lot in the last decade. The main things to consider is ,are these countries really european enough? -Romania seems to be good , even in the way they have been dealing with the containment of bird flu and battling corruption . Bulgaria- good tourism oportunities , especially once the EU lends some funds , but corruption and police force is quite dodgy ( re: the english teenager who got a hefty jail sentence for attacking a waiter, even though some other guy confessed the crime , hmm)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Is that 14 months a definite? I believed that any accession dates were conditional - I seem to remember reading in the paper that recent organised crime issues in Bulgaria might adversely impact the accession date of that country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭PlayaFlow

Well, I remember watching a programme on Tv over here in Germany and seeing the Romanian president signing a definite agreement that they are joining in Jan 07 (but then again my German isnt so Good:rolleyes: ). I think you're correct about Bulgaria , I watched something about their defferal due to crime also. And also something regarding Turkey ...it seems they can forget about it.
    Out of these countries I believe Romania is the best candidate.

PlayaFlow wrote:
    the english teenager who got a hefty jail sentence for attacking a waiter

Or, the Englishman who was part of a number of people involved in fighting, was picked out by all witnesses (including English witnesses) as being the person who struck a waiter with a bottle causing him brain damage, and the 'confession' was made by a third party who waited until he was back in England and refuses to go back to Bulgaria?

I appreciate Jamie Carragher has attacked the legal system in Bulgaria, but perhaps he should stick to football and leave international legal systems to someone else...

Advertisement