Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DCU Martial Arts Club

• 06-11-2005 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

hey guys i'm just wondering have any of you trained in the martial arts club this year?, if you have what did you think of training? and was anyone interested in training but turned off for any reason?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 androphobe

i went to the first matsumuru seiti, thought it was great. but i think i'm gonna do wing chun on wednesday just cos the time suits me a hell of a lot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

If you want to join a good martial arts club in DCU join the Kng Fu club. I've done it for two years now and I love it. Our teacher (and this is no joke) is Seefu Sam Lee and he's the best Kung Fu instructor in the world outside of China.

I don't think you can get a better recommendation than that!!

Classes ar no bigger than 20 people. Training is on Monday from 5.00-6.30 and wednesay 8.30-10.00.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Scr&#225 wrote: »
    Our teacher (and this is no joke) is Seefu Sam Lee and he's the best Kung Fu instructor in the world outside of China.
    You know this how exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Zem

I'm actually one of the people running the DCUMAC this year, and the thread was just to find some sort of feedback from people who may have attended classes and could give an honest view because of the slight annonymity of posting on boards. It's just we've prett much just gotten on our feet after the comittee change from last year, and wanted to see if everythings ok.

Scráib, yeah cool if you want to do that style of kung fu do it, even I'd be interested in giving it a try to see what the feel of it is but at the moment i'm training 3-4 times a week and then there's the rest of general life. I had a look at the class today during training looked interesting, one of you helped us bring in mats when we were setting up today so thanks for that.

Androphobe, glad you have enjoyed it, hope i'll see you in training.

I know this is a shameless plug, but:
    if anyones interested we offer (DCU Martial Arts Club):

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu 5-6pm on Monday
    Matsumura Seito 6-8pm on tuesday
    Wing Chun Kung Fu 5-7pm on Wednesday.

Classes tend to focus on the practical side of the martial art (self-defense), everyones welcome to join and classes are free.

Anyone whos interested can pop down to any training session so you can try a few classes before you have to pay to become an official member so if your interested give it a go, maybe then i'll get some more feedback on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭djmike

Hey ,

Thinking of joining one of the MA clubs. But can't decide which one.

i've tried Tae k do in the past and found too much emphasis on flexability...I'm not very flexible.
    Is this the same in all the MAs ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Zem wrote:
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu 5-6pm on Monday
    Matsumura Seito 6-8pm on tuesday
    Wing Chun Kung Fu 5-7pm on Wednesday.

Classes tend to focus on the practical side of the martial art (self-defense), everyones welcome to join and classes are free.

Anyone whos interested can pop down to any training session so you can try a few classes before you have to pay to become an official member so if your interested give it a go, maybe then i'll get some more feedback on here.
    Hi Zem, I've been considering doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for a while now, didn't realise they did it in DCU. The fact that I haven't done a martial art for years, would that affect my ability to participate?

I'm quite fit, but could do with being fitter.

If I were to attend a class on Mondays would my being a "newb" be too disruptive to the class? Particularly as it's midway through the semester.

Thanks.

Amz

ok two questions at the same time so:

djmike:

what is the your main goal in learning a martial art that could help with deciding a martial art to do.

In terms of flexibility, of course with any martial art your going to find an emphasis to some extent on flexibility but to be honest i couldn't tell you if it would be the same in all because i don't know how much emphasis there was in your TKD class

If you want to try a martial art, i can't say for the other clubs on campus but for ours anyway your welcome to come to a session and try a class out and see if you like it.

Amz:

The class literally started last week, so there's no problem there if you want to join, come 5-10 mins early to do some stretching or whatever just before had because it's a short class so it's good if we get to use it all. Also if you want to bring a friend aswell, it was all lads last weeks monday class (female numbers tend to pick up later in most classes), i'm not sure if your self-conscious about learning to grapple with lads but it's just if you are plus getting

We just took over DCUMAC so we're a little slow in setting up and the advertising of our club hasn't really gotten underway.

If your interested in doing any of our other classes the fact that you haven't done a martial art in years really isn't an issue, all our classes cater for beginners no matter what.

In terms of fitness, sure it's an aspect but again it's not an issue, your fitness will increase with training I have some fitness but i am not what i would consider fit but i'm working on it and i can still train so again it's not an issue if you want to come train in any of the martial arts we do.

So yeah you wouldn't disrupt any of our classes if you/or anyone else joined, in my view lack of experience and fitness shouldn't effect whether you start to train or not.

hope i answered those ok,

Zem,

P.S If anyone has any questions feel free to pm me or email the club email address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Zem wrote:
    The class literally started last week, so there's no problem there if you want to join, come 5-10 mins early to do some stretching or whatever just before had because it's a short class so it's good if we get to use it all. Also if you want to bring a friend aswell, it was all lads last weeks monday class (female numbers tend to pick up later in most classes), i'm not sure if your self-conscious about learning to grapple with lads but it's just if you are plus getting
    That doesn't particularly bother me, I just wouldn't be as strong as the lads so they might prefer more of a challenge.

Don't think any of my female friends would be particularly bothered unfortunately.

Might pop along next Monday evening. What would I need to wear?

Thanks for your help.

i'm not sure if your self-conscious about learning to grapple with lads but it's just if you are plus getting

just reread that and realised i just stopped writing halfway through, didnt lose the overall meaning but sorry

That doesn't particularly bother me, I just wouldn't be as strong as the lads so they might prefer more of a challenge.

With all our martial arts you not being as strong as the any of the guys isn't a problem, they all go on the basis that they work no matter who you are. In the BJJ class we work on the basis that your opponent is stronger than you. It's the same with pretty much all the classes. At the moment it's going to be a challenge because nearly everyone is a beginner so you maybe being not as strong is no problem at all. If you think you can i'd say coming to a tuesday class and wednesday class just to see if you like them. While you learn grappling in the
    Don't think any of my female friends would be particularly bothered unfortunately.

No worries whatsoever but you never know unless you ask :D female or male friends people never know if they like unless they try it and some of my friends who never wanted to go but who i guilted into going enjoyed it and are now attending regularly in the other classes.

In terms of what to wear: any sort of loose fitting stuff tracksuit bottoms/t-shirt, martial arts suit/gi/dogi and a groin guard is always good but not a must have at the moment.

If you coming on Mon again be good to come 5-10 mins early it's held in squash court 1 so just hang outside the squash courts untill we get started and maybe do a bit of a warm-up, there should be other people there, again we just want people to be a bit early so we can get the most out of the class and it helps if people have warmed-up a bit even though we'll prob go through some warm-ups during class for new people. I should be there either putting the mats in the squash court or stacking them up infront if the courts still in use.

Anyone has any other questions or even comments on the classes feel free to give me some feedback,

Mark (Zem)

You know this how exactly?

"Martial arts enthusiasts, who are seeking a more exciting and active style, now have a chance to learn the dynamic fighting art of Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu from Sifu Samuel Siu-Ming Lee who is the foremost authority of Hung Sing Choy Lay Fut outside of China. Sifu Sam Lee was a student of the late Grand-master Lee Koon-Hung, 5th generation Choy Lay Fut Kung Fu"

And I found that at this link: http://www.choylayfut-ireland.com/mainindex.html

I was peopably overenthusiastic earlier when I said he was the best in Kung Fu (plus I misspelled "Sifu";) ) outside of China, but in the Choy Lay Fut form of Kung Fu he is the best. He also told us so himself in class! As to how many different styles of Kung Fu there are I haven't a clue, I'd say quite a few.

The bottom line is that whichever martial arts form you pick up, it will benefit you. You'll have more confidence, more coordination, be able to defend yourself effectively, meet new people as a result.. the list goes on. If there's one thing that can really help you in college(or anywhere I guess) its picking up martial arts.

• Advertisement

Scr&#225 wrote: »
    The bottom line is that whichever martial arts form you pick up, it will benefit you. You'll have more confidence, more coordination, be able to defend yourself effectively, meet new people as a result.. the list goes on. If there's one thing that can really help you in college(or anywhere I guess) its picking up martial arts.

I agree with Scráib although obviously i'm going to prefer training with DCU Martial Arts Club than the Kung Fu club. Martial Arts in general can do all the things Scráib mentioned if you approach it with and open mind, friendly manner and the knowledge that your going to break a sweat. Also i can't stress the point that you never know if you'll like it unless you try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Do either the Wing Chun or Choy Lay Fut clubs teach weapons?

(off topic) i hate essay deadlines got one tomorrow got to finish it tonight not gona sleep(on topic)

The Wing chun we do does not teach weapons at all, looking at the website choy lay fut does do a number of weapons.

Although after christmas our club should be running a course in bujinkan budo taijutsu which also does a large number of weapons (if you want more info the art itself just type it into google)

are you just curious about them? wanted to train in kung fu? or are you looking to train with weapons specifically in a martial art?

Do either the Wing Chun or Choy Lay Fut clubs teach weapons?

Yeah the DCU Choy Lay Fut club does. You have to reach a certain level of competence first but some of the more experienced people in the class know the staff, butterfly swords, three section staff, spear and a few more.

I'd love to learn the tiger hook swords myself. Mad looking weapon.

Yeah girls aren't usually too confident about picking up a fighting style. The ones I've seen that do though are usually quite good at it and the pick it up quite fast.

Advertisement