Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Roadkill - To brake or Not to break

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

cormie wrote:
    Yeah, unfortunately most people don't view a cats life as important as a humans.

Which do you think is more important, a cat or a humans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

prospect wrote:
    What?=
    I didn't know rabbits could fly! :confused::confused:

Wel if you seen this f**ker you would swear they could.....came out full pelt and jumped into the wheel....wasnt good enought running under it but jumped out of the ditch into it,......so yes he was flying like Banana man!!

Which do you think is more important, a car or a humans?

I go with car!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Big Nelly wrote:
    I go with car!!!
    oops!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

css wrote:
    The biggest amount of animals was a rabbit, a cat, a crow, and a sparrow, all in the one journey..
    Holy fuk!!! Was the grim reaper in the pasenger seat?

If it was a large animal like a horse/cow/dear(antlers are extremely deadly coming through a windscreen) then i would definatley take all neccessary action to avoid while attempting to keep myself and passengers alive.

Smaller animals such as kitty and rover do not get avoidance action. I will slow down if i have time and there is no car behind me otherwise i plough through and feel a little bad for a few mintues. I wouldn't bother gonig back to check if they are alive or dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Personally, I believe that people who hit a lot of animals tend to sh*te drivers anyway i.e. drive too fast for the conditions and have poor anticipation, concentration, observation, awareness of hazards etc.. Have already posted my views on this in an earlier thread on roadkill "tallies"
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1950491&postcount=21

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Neighbour's dog ran felt pelt into the left wing of my brother's discovery once.

He came from the right but he was actually peggin it. There was a big bang and we stopped. poor guy was laid out on the side of the road. The girl's mother told us to drive on before there was a scene.

The girl probably would have went for us but it is quite a narrow road with big ditches on either side so the dog was done for.

One thing I do love to get a good kill is if you are on back roads late at night and you see a big rat running across road....hence speed up and swerve to see if you can get him.,......please note better fun if dropping lads home from pub so there is a few to notice your glory:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

prospect wrote:
    What?=
    I didn't know rabbits could fly! :confused::confused:

HolyGrail181.jpg

Sometimes it's just not possible to stop, or even to go back and check on the animal. The M50 stretch near the Ballinteer exit is quite near to the Dublin mountains, and plenty of foxes wander on to the road. If you came across one of those going 120kph it would be suicidal to try to brake or swerve - you just go to plough through. And you can't exactly pull over on to the hard shoulder and walk out on to the motorway to check if it's still alive...
    It (sometimes) has nothing to do with being a ****e driver.

fjon wrote:
    HolyGrail181.jpg

Sometimes it's just not possible to stop, or even to go back and check on the animal. The M50 stretch near the Ballinteer exit is quite near to the Dublin mountains, and plenty of foxes wander on to the road. If you came across one of those going 120kph it would be suicidal to try to brake or swerve - you just go to plough through. And you can't exactly pull over on to the hard shoulder and walk out on to the motorway to check if it's still alive...
    It (sometimes) has nothing to do with being a ****e driver.

To be honest it is pretty hard to miss seeing a fox in the middle of a motorway!!! as mentioned above only time I hit a rabbit was on river road and if you know it then you would understand why...all bends and curves and no hard shoulder or nothing.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

Peace wrote:
    Holy fuk!!! Was the grim reaper in the pasenger seat?

Rabbit, I was moving along at a bit of a pace, was about 20 feet from him, and he hopped out under the wheel.

Cat, I was doing 15mph, and he darted out under the wheel.

Crow, I came around a corner on a backroad, doing probably 40mph, there were about 200 crows on the road.. one took off flying towards me?!!

Sparrow, flew out of nowhere, and either into the bumper or intercooler..

I haven't killed an animal since then, but it was one of those days I guess! Good man BrianD3, nice sweeping statement there. You're obviously a spanner who'll write off their car to avoid a cat in an estate or swerve to avoid a dog, and end up totalling your car off a wall, get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

css wrote:
    You're obviously a spanner who'll write off their car to avoid a cat in an estate or swerve to avoid a dog, and end up totalling your car off a wall, get a grip.
    Strange how you managed to deduce that from my post. You're obviously a spanner with a poor grasp of plain English.

I would never write off my car to avoid a cat or dog. Then again I rarely find myself in a situation where I would have to swerve or brake hard to avoid an animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭lazylad

Big Nelly wrote:
    One thing I do love to get a good kill is if you are on back roads late at night and you see a big rat running across road....hence speed up and swerve to see if you can get him.,......please note better fun if dropping lads home from pub so there is a few to notice your glory:D

Absolutely class,
    I avoid most animals but when I see a big dirty rat I put boot on and aim wheel on it at top speed. Then I check the wheel when I get out to see if any of the rat is on it. I try to kill rats when I can.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Which do you think is more important, a cat or a humans?

Depends what sort of human. A hot chick would definitely warrant brake action. Preferably enough not to kill her but a 5mph nudge so as a good physical needs to be given to make sure she is alright. Uggos and fatties, no way. Get rid of them, do a favour to the gene pool. Same with old people, if they are too slow to dodge the traffic then it's pine box time.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

John R wrote:
    Depends what sort of human. A hot chick would definitely warrant brake action. Preferably enough not to kill her but a 5mph nudge so as a good physical needs to be given to make sure she is alright. Uggos and fatties, no way. Get rid of them, do a favour to the gene pool. Same with old people, if they are too slow to dodge the traffic then it's pine box time.
    as this thread has gotten stupid, I'll throw in my €0.02
    What happens if you are pis$ed? An 'uggo' will look hot!

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

You should always go back and make sure the animal is dead - had to put down cats especially that were in shocking conditions.

Take to a vet or dogs home if it's not in a seriously bad way - they'll somtimes look a lot worse than they are - give false name and address if you don't want to foot the bill.

Whoever owns the animal is responsible for any damage to your car - so it's worth getting the animal scanned for a micro chip if it doesn't have a collar tag.

If you see someone with an animal on the road though and they signal you to slow or stop - then you must obey them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

commited wrote:
    What did your accompanying driver advise?

Actually, I would like to hear your answer to this OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Airblazer wrote:
    are you for real?? how many learner drivers do you actually see with accompanying drivers??? none i'd bet
    Err I believe that is the law. I always drove accompanied. It's not that much hassle.
    I've never understood that once people hit 17 they think they cant live without a car. "How am I meant to get around if I have to be accompanied all the time". Answer - Like you did before you had a car :)

It is something I wish the Irish police would clamp down and I'd love them to throw away that ridiculous 2nd provisional law. Several of my neighbours are in their 50s on a provisional license. That is just ridiculous.

As for the arguments about the test waits etc - I waited 10months for my test. If you're so desparate for one - ring up daily - there are often cancellations which will give you a week or so to prepare.

I don't drive with an accompanying driver. I know it's illegal but he won't let me hit animals never mind humans if he's in the car. It takes the fun out driving completely.

Is that the kind of answer you were hoping for? :rolleyes:

ballooba wrote:
    I don't drive with an accompanying driver. I know it's illegal but he won't let me hit animals never mind humans if he's in the car. It takes the fun out driving completely.

Is that the kind of answer you were hoping for? :rolleyes:
    Err.. no. And I dont see the need for the rolleyes - because I followed the law & expect others to? LOL.

The lad came on here asking for advice, so I'm just wondering what advice his accompanying driver had said at the time. He said himself he didnt know what to do in that situation.

It's happened to my mate who was driving in front of me at the time and he whacked on the brakes. I was able to stop in time (just). Point is - none of us would have died, but he would have killed the dog. A dog that shouldnt have been roaming on its own, another fantastic law Ireland fails to enforce.

• Advertisement

Sorry, i was reffering to the post above yours. Looks like Jumpy just jumped in to troll around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

ballooba wrote:
    Sorry, i was reffering to the post above yours. Looks like Jumpy just jumped in to troll around.

Actually it was a serious post.

Why is the OP driving without a fully licenced driver?
    And I was asking the OP not you.

Not to mention your post was sarky and useless to this thread.

I knew what you were asking. The thread is about roadkill not provisional drivers. I think it's fairly obvious, that the OP was unaccompanied at the time. Even if he wasn't you know that many provisional drivers do so unaccompanied. it's illegal but it happesn. Did you wish to have a go at him?

Actually I am not going to entertain you with another reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

passenger was reading a magazine at the time..

What was that

Cat

Ohh..

I drive on...in a state of shock

At least the car doesnt seem to be damaged

Yep.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

After thinking hard about it, my conclusion is if the same happened a few months from now, i'd probably have breaked safely in time if beeping didnt work.

Given my lack of experience, driving through was the right thing to do in terms of the safety of the other cars around me, I just wish the damn cat had waited a few months to try this :(

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

:(

and to whoever asked which I think is more important, a cat or a human, well my answer will probably turn this thread into a big debate which I don't have the time for:D I know what mother Earth would prefer to be killed anyway, the one that damages her the most.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

This is a stupid thread.
    Humans are obviously more important. If there were no humans, then how would the cats open the tins of cat food?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Think if you braked for the cat and you locked the wheels and skidded into the oncomming traffic, or if you swerved and crossed into oncomming traffic, or were rear ended and pushed into oncomming traffic.

Not worth the risk. To many people killed on Irish roads, Humans are always more important than cats.

Would not have been mush use if you or your family were maimed or killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

kbannon wrote:
    This is a stupid thread.
    Humans are obviously more important. If there were no humans, then how would the cats open the tins of cat food?

:rolleyes:

dingding, too many animals are killed on Irish roads too. How are humans always more important than cats:eek: ok this discussion isn't really for a motors forum I suppose:o

• Advertisement

If it was a paedo to walk out in front of a car or your family dog of 10years - which would you choose? :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement