Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cheap window tint

• 06-11-2005 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

just got my mothers old car [we all gotta start somewhere] ...but iv seen this film stuff for bout e30 which tints the windows. is it any use or shud i stay away from it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

STAY AWAY FROM IT!

Proper tint has metal fibres running through it, and must be applied with a heat gun to bend the it to your window shape. You will just end up with creases and your car will look muck. Your best off just paying however much it costs these days from a pro like Vision or Shades.

The only thing i'd reccomend that cheap stuff for is blacking out the back windows of a Van.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

Id dissagree,i tinted my last car myself with a heat gun and a roll of tint a bought from LIDL!and there were no creases whatsoever.The film never bubbled and my only complaint was it was too dark a tint for the winter.

Theres a bit of a knack to doing it but its not the hardest thing in the world,id give your 30e roll a bash on your rear windows first before you go and spend 250 in vision!

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭riddik

thanx guys, and fair play to eireal if you got it right yourself, but i really wudn trust myself not to **** it up so i mite just save up for the proper tints. how much are they layke? where would you guys recommend for general interior accessories i.e mats gear sticks etc.? its an old seat ibiza and doesnt really look like something i want to drive with teddys in the back and pink cushions and all this crap. ITS GOTTA BE A MANS CAR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

eireal wrote:
    Id dissagree,i tinted my last car myself with a heat gun and a roll of tint a bought from LIDL!
    yeah I bought two rolls of that LIDL stuff but i might as well have used wallpaper - you can't see through it. I had to take it off again! I've tinted several cars with window film and it gets easier each time - there is a knack to it and if you take your time you will get good results. Use a spray bottle with a drop of washing up liquid to wet the windows, buy a good squeegee and some stanley blades to trim the edges.

The one to avoid is the spray-on window tint - I made a major mess of a Fiesta with that bloody stuff...

'cptr

200 to 250 is the going rate for a 3 to 5 door car and depending on if you want it faded or just smoked ect.

Ive always actually wondered what that spray window tint was like or how you could get even coverage without darker spots in places

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

As a matter of interest, would it be possible to get somewhere like Shades to match an existing tint? My car had tinted rear windows (back and sides) when it arrived from Japan. I'm thinking of doing the front as well, but I was wondering if it would be possible (and cheaper) to try and match the existing tints rather than redo them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

@OP...
    I've never heard a bad word about Sleek FX in limerick. Anyone I know was very pleased with their work as regards the tints.

blastman wrote:
    As a matter of interest, would it be possible to get somewhere like Shades to match an existing tint? My car had tinted rear windows (back and sides) when it arrived from Japan. I'm thinking of doing the front as well, but I was wondering if it would be possible (and cheaper) to try and match the existing tints rather than redo them.

Yep any company would be able to match them no prob's for you.
    The reason the car only has the rear tints is because thats considered "jap styling" you'l find alot of imports like that or people in general just going out ant tinting the rear 3 windows + a sunvisor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

ya SLeek Fx do a very good job on cars and arent the dearest. Dont know what the current price would be at the moment tho

how about general accessories, i mean i wana get new pedals, gear stick(knob part obviously) seat covers mats etc. the last two arent that difficult to come by i know but wheres a good place for all the above?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

riddik wrote:
    how about general accessories, i mean i wana get new pedals, gear stick(knob part obviously) seat covers mats etc. the last two arent that difficult to come by i know but wheres a good place for all the above?

Any auto factors should have these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

riddik wrote:
    ebay is a great place to look too. Check on SEAT websites how easy it is to change the gearknob as sometimes an adapter is required. Have a look on www.speeding.co.uk too.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭hardwoodhero

Theres a guy on the boot road in clondalkin doing tints for € 150. Ieve seen one done and it was really good.

thanx hardwoodhero, is that for 3 r 5 windows? interesting...

it was for 5 windows on a corsa. Hes on the boot road in clondalkin up a lane where theres a few body shops and garages.

thanx man, will defo check it out. whats the name of the place? number/website? or just a small place?

to be honest i dont know the name / number, your best bet is to drop up to them. Do you need directions?

no i my friend says he knows the boot road. we'll go up tomoro or sat and hav a look around. thanx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭dogz

when u go up 2 him can u get a price to do the back 3 on a fiesta or get a number for him

no prob. will pm u

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

blastman wrote:

I bought a pre cut tint from Japan, it cost about 40 euros including postage
    I got it for a Corolla, unfortunately it being my first time, the small window
    was a mess , so has to be replaced. The company does them for all the
    japanese market cars, pre cut, so u just put it on. The instructions were
    all in japanese but there were some diagrams so it seems ok to understand.
    I have yet to put all of it on the car, but im using instructions from an american tint to get around the language barrier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

The name of the company who make the pre-cut window tint has a website
    called www.sauber-japan.com. It makes tint for all cars sold in japan so you should not have a problem if you have a japanese import. The kits are about 35.00 euro each and shipping is extra.ksf-t1052.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Just got my 5dr hatch done by the lads out at Shades.

Limo tint from pillars back & T35 on the fronts.
    Overall I'm chuffed with the result, no more blinds required for the rear windows.

total price €260, they worked solid on the car from 2 to 18:00

They also do a lot of work for the Garda undercover/surveillance cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭domonick

for 260 you would have got tints and a nice sun visor off wizardworks ,and shades dont do any garda cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

domonick wrote:
    for 260 you would have got tints and a nice sun visor off wizardworks ,and shades dont do any garda cars

Well they are doin garda stuff now mate, they had a 4x4 there the same day they did mine.

Where are wizardworks based out of, would have liked a visor as well :)

wizardworks are in finglas ,when it comes to designing stickers or big graphic jobs thats the place to go ,they look after regular customers well with good prices ,a guy called jay rielly got the garda car contract for the next three years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭nodger

DK32 wrote:
    total price €260, they worked solid on the car from 2 to 18:00

How busy are they these days? Did you have to book far in advance?

Do they always put the little 'SHADES' advert on the top of the rear window?

i've never had to give more 2 days notice ,i think everywhere puts their little sticker on back window but it comes off handy

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ohdatlewis

BUMP!
    This thread seems a little outdated. I'm just wondering if anyone would know how much it would cost to tint the drivers and passengers window in a corolla van? Also if anyone could recommend a good place to get windows tinted in cork I'd very much appreciate it!
    Regards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ohdatlewis wrote: »
    BUMP!
    This thread seems a little outdated. I'm just wondering if anyone would know how much it would cost to tint the drivers and passengers window in a corolla van? Also if anyone could recommend a good place to get windows tinted in cork I'd very much appreciate it!
    Regards.

you should of started a new thread instead of bumping a 2 year old one!

just ring vision tint and get a definate price instead of us having a guess is the best way to find out if im honest.

http://www.visionfx.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

kceire wrote: »
    you should of started a new thread instead of bumping a 2 year old one!

:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement