Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Speed Options on RTG?

• 06-11-2005 8:00pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ever since Vodafone inexplicably turned off the HSCSD service for Ready To Go customers last year I haven't been able to find a good alternative. My set up is simply a PocketPC that I used to use for checking my email & look up the news etc in the mornings when I'm out and about and don't have access to WiFi. Am I correct in assuming that Vodafone still don't allow you to use internet GPRS on Ready To Go (again for no particular reason)?

If so is there anyway I can get speeds of ~ 50 kbps on my Pocket PC using any Vodafone's or other operator's prepaid services?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Won't Vodafone 3G allow you to do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Not on ready to go. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Great. As i suspected there's no way to do it. You'd think one operator would offer it. They'd get my custom straight away!

Cheers anyway lads.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Hmmm after some researching I'm led to believe O2 allow you to use Internet GPRS (i.e. GPRS APN via Laptop / Pocket PC) on their Speakeasy option? Anyone know if this is true?

Why is it always very hard to find hard facts about this kinda thing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

both O2 and Meteor provide pre-pay GPRS ISP access, it's just Vodafone for who don't

you might want to check if all the ports you require are accessible, depending on what you are trying to do

also watch the costs when using a Laptop / Pocket PC... depending on your usage you may get a better deal in the long run from a post-pay contract which would have a data bundle available (even though they aren't exactly cheap either!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement