Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New to DCU

• 06-11-2005 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hey, all

My name is Ben, an undergraduate student from Michigan. I will be studying at DCU during the spring semester where I'll be enrolled in primarily journalism modules. I'm due to arrive in Dublin at the end of January and at present, I don't have any friends there. I'm sure I'll make some once my modules start up, but I would like to befriend a few people ahead of time so I have a few people to at least talk to when I arrive.

If you're up for making new friends, please don't hesitate to ask me questions about myself.

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 SweetMelissa

Hey there. I am coming from California. Will be there at the end of January as well. Taking communications classes mostly. I know of one other guy coming from my school....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

This topic just got interesting.....

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

*shrug* post about your interests, introduce yourselves a bit more and just ask lots of questions about dcu and you should get to know a few of us. I'm sure we can organise some sort of night out for ye when ye arrive. *shakes hand* I'm kenn, 2nd year financial and actuarial maths student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Darz0re

*waves* Dara here, 2nd year Computer Applacations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

*also waves* I'm Louise, 2nd year biotech stooodent.
    One thing i'll say to you, get involved in clubs and societies when you're here and it'll make your time more enjoyable. if you have any questions about any club or society, ask on here, theres bound to be at least one member of each on here!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭alantc

Me, 4th year Electronic Systems. (if anyone knows the class, I'm the cool one)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Zem

well since everyones doing it, Hi i'm mark, 2nd year international relations. All i can say is the same as rugbug did, get into clubs and socs activities you'll meet lots of people and have a bit of fun. If you know anyone here it can be good but i think that people who come over knowing nobody seem to have more fun because they are forced to get out there and do stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Cosgram

Alright Ben. Seeing as how you're coming from the States (on the Boston University Program?), it might be worth your while joining the DCU American Football Club. We really just started this year, but we've been training for the past 6/7 weeks and have games scheduled against another new Dublin team and University of Limerick. Our season starts in February, so if you have football experience, you should pop along and talk to our coaches once you get here. If you have played before, what position?

Oh, and I'm final year Computer Applications & Secretary of the club. Welcome to the Emerald Isle!

Maurice (www.dcusaints.com)

Hi, I'm coming from The University of California, Sacramento. I am a 3rd year student there, studying communications and mass media. I do have a few questions. What is the homework load like in the classes? I know it depends on the class, but I'm looking for an average here.... Do you guys have time to go out on the weekends? Would you recomend Shanowen Hall? I was looking at on campus accomodation and the guest policy looks a little restrictive.... Is there a good music scene in Dublin? Does it snow in the winter? Is all the beer warm? Are there any other communications students on the forum? Do you like the program? Well, I think that's enough for now. Feel free to reply personally or contact me on IM or MSN. Thanks!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭drunkenfool

I dont know what the situation with american students is, but irish students tend to go out every night of the week, so unless your too hungover to go out during the weekends, im sure that you'll have time to go out.

Speaking of the music scene, the music scene here is pretty impressive for a small city. All depending on what your into really. For example this weekend, saw sigur ros on friday night, unbelievaeble gig, and on sat night, saw kid koala and four tet, also a great gig.

Im living in shanowen hall, much better then campus.

warm beer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

alantc wrote:
    Me, 4th year Electronic Systems. (if anyone knows the class, I'm the cool one)
    Heh, you'll be in my New Enterprise Development module then (I think...)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

There's alot of good punk going around too. Bands come down from Belfast and around the country for gigs quite a bit. They're mostly in pubs and the smaller venues around town so they're nice and cheap :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

The beer is cool. It hasn't snowed in Dublin for more than a day in the whole of winter for 22 years.

This winters supposedly gonna be one of the worst ever. White Christmas and all! (supposedly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

steveland? wrote:

I did that last year, nightmare of a module. Totally nothing to do with Engineering, and for the most part a complete waste of time. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Hi, I'm coming from The University of California, Sacramento. I am a 3rd year student there, studying communications and mass media. I do have a few questions. What is the homework load like in the classes? I know it depends on the class, but I'm looking for an average here.... Do you guys have time to go out on the weekends? Would you recomend Shanowen Hall? I was looking at on campus accomodation and the guest policy looks a little restrictive.... Is there a good music scene in Dublin? Does it snow in the winter? Is all the beer warm? Are there any other communications students on the forum? Do you like the program? Well, I think that's enough for now. Feel free to reply personally or contact me on IM or MSN. Thanks!:D
    Shanowen is chill, you can let whoever you want stay. Lots of exchange students stay there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

dregin wrote:
    There's alot of good punk going around too. Bands come down from Belfast and around the country for gigs quite a bit. They're mostly in pubs and the smaller venues around town so they're nice and cheap :)

And don't forget phil collins! \m/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

dregin wrote:
    This winters supposedly gonna be one of the worst ever. White Christmas and all! (supposedly)
    I'll believe it when i see it. It will no doubt be a cold wet winter though. micromegas & SweetMelissa miss the worst of it though arriving in January.

OFDM wrote:
    I'll believe it when i see it. It will no doubt be a cold wet winter though. micromegas & SweetMelissa miss the worst of it though arriving in January.
    in time for exams!!!

i like the winter but puddle dodging in DCU is a bit of a pain in the %&$%

wouldnt it be funny if it lashed one day and got really really cold over night and we had ice rinks all over dcu. that'd be fun.

steveland? wrote:

Yeah, the woman looks like she's frowning even when you know she's smiling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

Do you guys have time to go out on the weekends?

Oh yeah.
    What is the homework load like in the classes? I know it depends on the class, but I'm looking for an average here....

Generally okay, nothing more than you can handle but it can get stressful for the last few weeks leading up to the end of the semester.

Since we're doing a roll call: 3rd year Enterprise and computing as Gaeilge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Right so, 3rd Year Computer Applications here since we're all doing it...

As for the rest well...

Weekends aren't really a student thing in my opinion, weekdays are our thing as students but theres still good crowds out at the weekends, its just more expensive in most places. :D

As I live in Shanowen Hall I'd have to say yes, its pretty damn cool. There have been a few changes lately with the setup of the place but as long as you don't mind a little bit of asskicking with your landlord its fine.
    Campus is fine for first years when they want to get to know people but after that its rubbish.

Music wise its pretty damn good around here. Theres been a wide variety of events on in the past year and theres been gigs on to suit all tastes.

Its not the snow you have to worry about over here, its the weather the rest of the year round! :D

Thanks for the advice. I'm happy to hear that it doesn't really snow. Rain is ok. Is public transportation ok there? I'm not used to being without a car or at least a bike. I'm really looking forward to coming to Dublin. I've never been there. About the food there... Do you guys have Mexican food in Dublin? Can I get a taco? Do the stores have tortillas? I'm going to miss that most I think. Well, besides my cat. :D Is there Chinese food or sushi? Anyway, I guess that's enough questions for now. See you all in January!

You can get any type of food in Dublin. Tortillas included :P

Edit: Faceless man - you are not your PC spec ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

Thanks for the advice. I'm happy to hear that it doesn't really snow. Rain is ok. Is public transportation ok there? I'm not used to being without a car or at least a bike. I'm really looking forward to coming to Dublin. I've never been there. About the food there... Do you guys have Mexican food in Dublin? Can I get a taco? Do the stores have tortillas? I'm going to miss that most I think. Well, besides my cat. :D Is there Chinese food or sushi? Anyway, I guess that's enough questions for now. See you all in January!

lol yeah of course u can get all that...tis not the stone age here:D

Indeed, we have all kinds of food here, theres some really nice Chinese and Japanese places around especially...

Edit: Dregin - Suck my cock :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Wcan you get all these foods, ive been eating potatoes and cabbage all this time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Hey im Will, 2nd year of computers :\ anywho yeah DCU is ok, basically you get what you put into it. i.e make your own fun and stuff, and study, that too :v:
    weather will be quite wet but not freezing, no extremes usually.
    oh yeah we dont have warm beer, thats just a crime

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Jess From Fiontar!

• Advertisement

Jesjes wrote:
    Jess From Fiontar!
    Or "That joke of a course" as the rest of us like to call it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

Or "That joke of a course" as the rest of us like to call it...

Ah you're just jealous that you can't use our private computer labs :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

OMG< is there another fiontar head in here...

Also, the whole "FIONTAR" thing is an in joke with Zyox and Dregin...

Fiontar rocks.

Private computer labs? Try our private computer BUILDING! :D

Darlin' its a joke with more than those two!

i have my very own private computer in my bag so i dont need fiontar
    [sarcasm]and i'm more than happy with the computing facilities in the science building[/sarcasm]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

alantc wrote:
    Yeah, the woman looks like she's frowning even when you know she's smiling.
    Are you the one with the long hair or the other guy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭micromegas

Jesjes wrote:
    Jess From Fiontar!

Sorry for asking something probably very obvious, but what is Fiontar?

Wilburt wrote:
    Hey im Will, 2nd year of computers :\ anywho yeah DCU is ok, basically you get what you put into it. i.e make your own fun and stuff, and study, that too :v:
    weather will be quite wet but not freezing, no extremes usually.
    oh yeah we dont have warm beer, thats just a crime

I'm going to make a conscious effort to get involved on campus. I've heard stories of Americans/others who study abroad and are just lonely. I'm going to try to head that off by meeting a lot of new people and getting involved. What are my chances, you think?

micromegas wrote:
    Sorry for asking something probably very obvious, but what is Fiontar?

Don't think even Fiontar know what Fiontar is!!

http://www.dcu.ie/fiontar/index.shtml

It's a course in Business and Irish (the language). Don't know if you'll understand the link, give it a try!

steveland? wrote:
    Are you the one with the long hair or the other guy

(didn't see this post til today)
    Long hair... who are you? I still haven't handed up the assignment. She wasn't there today so I'll hand it up monday. fu<k.

@micromegas... fiontar is the big gay irish course. They speak in irish to each other i think. Keep away from them folk.

As far as getting involved, clubs and societies are key. The bar isn't great onless there's an event on. Lots of clubs and societies are pretty dead though, so go to a few. Do you need to pass your exams in DCU to get through to your next year back home?

And keep away from the students union. They're a pile of bollocks. Some have good intentions. Hmmm... think I might go to union council this year.

You might see me walking around campus. I'll usually be alone but I'll be obviously the coolest guy on campus.

What year are you in? Careful, there used to be some fierce homos in journalism.

yes, most people in DCU are as negative as me.

rugbug86 wrote:

It's a course in Business and Irish (the language). Don't know if you'll understand the link, give it a try!

Ahhh... yes, I have seen this site before. Probabbly when I was poking around on the site. Perhaps you lot could help me learn some? That'd be awesome. I'll teach you some stupid American slang or something. Haha.

• Advertisement

rugbug86 wrote:

Didn't know rugbug was a DCU person...

Are you recommending he tries fiontar!?!? lol

alantc wrote:
    (didn't see this post til today)
    Long hair... who are you? I still haven't handed up the assignment. She wasn't there today so I'll hand it up monday. fu<k.

@micromegas... fiontar is the big gay irish course. They speak in irish to each other i think. Keep away from them folk.

As far as getting involved, clubs and societies are key. The bar isn't great onless there's an event on. Lots of clubs and societies are pretty dead though, so go to a few. Do you need to pass your exams in DCU to get through to your next year back home?

And keep away from the students union. They're a pile of bollocks. Some have good intentions. Hmmm... think I might go to union council this year.

You might see me walking around campus. I'll usually be alone but I'll be obviously the coolest guy on campus.

What year are you in? Careful, there used to be some fierce homos in journalism.

yes, most people in DCU are as negative as me.

Here's to hoping it isn't as you say.

I take it you hate gay people?

Fiontar is Entrapreurship, computers and applied irish. Through Irish.

Mostly the people are lovely. And yes, we do speak irish to one another... tahts why we choose to do our degrees in that language....

It's a fun course though, if you wanna get involved in Irish over here, join An Cumman Gaelach, all the second years run it at the moment, and they're very active.

Also. It's great craic over here, just get involved in whatever interests you,and find out for yourself, never mind all these smoo's. :)

Maybe I'm exaggerating a little!

Most irish guys (read: my friends) call anything/anyone they don't like gay. If you know someone well you can call them gay when they piss you off.

no, he asked what Fiontar was, so i told him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Polly19

If your going into third year in journalism Ive a few friends in that course Ill get to pm you here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Polly19

Micro the only Irish you need to know is:

Cead Mile Failte=an irish welcome
    Slainte=when your drinking its the irish toast

;)

alantc wrote:
    Maybe I'm exaggerating a little!

Most irish guys (read: my friends) call anything/anyone they don't like gay. If you know someone well you can call them gay when they piss you off.

Ahhhh! I get it now. That sort of thing happens in the US, too. Though not as much as it did years before. It's more popular with kids in high school. In Uni it doesn't get heard much, due to the increased chances of encountering a homosexual. :: shrug ::

Polly19 wrote:
    Micro the only Irish you need to know is:

Cead Mile Failte=an irish welcome
    Slainte=when your drinking its the irish toast

;)

Thanks! Now, how do you pronounce that? heh.

Polly19 wrote:
    If your going into third year in journalism Ive a few friends in that course Ill get to pm you here :)

Ahh excellent. I hope to make some friends in the Journalism course. I spoke with someone at the school magazine about writing for it. they seemed enthusiastic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement