Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st X360 games get 90%

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Heard promising things about Gun, but it'll be as good on all the current consoles. Gamestop in Henry Street have a 360 demo pod. Spent a few minutes with it, playing Call of Duty 2 this afternoon, I wasn't impressed at all. It looked like something that would run on the Xbox.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The problem with a lot of the launch / near launch games is that they're coming out on current gen too. Gun and King Kong both look great, but if you can play them on something you already own, whats the point in shelling out all that cash? Its when the exclusives show up that the next gen will come into its own.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well the game is supposed to be good. However it definitely isn't an advert for the xbox360 since the game is practically the same as the PS2 game. Not exactly progress. It is also an 'exclusive' review for the official xbox360 magazine which is a rag mag that deserves worse than being used as toilet roll.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Heard promising things about Gun, but it'll be as good on all the current consoles. Gamestop in Henry Street have a 360 demo pod. Spent a few minutes with it, playing Call of Duty 2 this afternoon, I wasn't impressed at all. It looked like something that would run on the Xbox.

The xbox 360 will probably be filled with PC quality titles until the developers get their heads around the new kits that will allow proper use of the multiple cpu cores, although worryingly the multiple core approach has been likened to the notoriously awkward dual processor on the sega saturn by a number of developers so it could be a long wait until we see the consoles true potential.

The problem with a lot of the launch / near launch games is that they're coming out on current gen too. Gun and King Kong both look great, but if you can play them on something you already own, whats the point in shelling out all that cash? Its when the exclusives show up that the next gen will come into its own.

Indeed. The fact that 360 release games will be €10 to €20 more expensive than their counterparts on current consoles will make it even more of a problem. Of the release window titles, Elder Scroll IV is the only game that interests me and that's been delayed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Retr0gamer wrote:
    The xbox 360 will probably be filled with PC quality titles until the developers get their heads around the new kits that will allow proper use of the multiple cpu cores, although worryingly the multiple core approach has been likened to the notoriously awkward dual processor on the sega saturn by a number of developers so it could be a long wait until we see the consoles true potential.

The multi core systems are a lot more difficult to code for than the current get no question there. However the multi core is a lot easier to code for than teh cell currently in the ps3. The next gen will take a good while to get going as developers get to grips with the mechanics but sure thats always the way.

The ps2 and xbox never really got going until developers started to code directly for the hardware as opposed to using the standard dev suites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/929179.asp

oh look its not doing well on other consoles Driv3r?

kdjac

Six hour completion time aparantly. Shame, I had high hopes for the game - probably just a rental now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Saw my first Xbox 360 in the flesh today. think call of duty was playing (something wartime anyways). I'll admit the graphics are nice and shiny but the games seemed to run at around the same smoothness current gens can. That's what I'm most worried about the next gen - in hindsight from previous to current the jump was huge in terms of smoothness and playability (try playing a 3rd person PS1 game today). But the last gen was jumpy and blocky. Most of those flaws were adressed with Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube. My point is, what exactly are going to be the major improvements with this gen? Are there only going to be minor improvements such as shinier graphics and slightly larger play areas? What does everyone think is going to be the defining factor of Generation Next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Saw my first Xbox 360 in the flesh today. think call of duty was playing (something wartime anyways). I'll admit the graphics are nice and shiny but the games seemed to run at around the same smoothness current gens can. That's what I'm most worried about the next gen - in hindsight from previous to current the jump was huge in terms of smoothness and playability (try playing a 3rd person PS1 game today). But the last gen was jumpy and blocky. Most of those flaws were adressed with Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube. My point is, what exactly are going to be the major improvements with this gen? Are there only going to be minor improvements such as shinier graphics and slightly larger play areas? What does everyone think is going to be the defining factor of Generation Next?

Current Gen was smooth, but often not too much was going on on screen. In that call of duty demo there were often lots and lots of troops running around, explosions all around you, dense smoke, and the frame rate never flinched. I've seen screenshots of a zombie game where there's literally hundreds of zombies, like a movie, not the two or three on screen typical of Resident Evil(I haven't played 4 btw in case someone shoots me down on that). Games like GTA should have really busy streets with more lifelike traffic than the fairly sparce population of current games. Although this sort of thing would have to be balanced for gameplay, doing a mission at rush hour would hardly be fun! Polyphony have said next gen will finally allow them to include damage modelling to their high standards in Gran Turismo. And with more than 6 bloody cars on track.

The games won't necessary look incredibly nicer but there'll be more going on and much more processing power, which should lead to more activity on screen and major advances in Physics and AI, anyone who plays FPS games on PC know how much this can add to a game, far more than shinier graphics could ever add.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

11169563873wi.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

^ Yessss, Very nice indeeeed. ^

Edit: Heh Check out the Hawaiian shirt on the zombie nearest the camera!

Woah. The next gen features a lot of lumberjacks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Zombie lumberjacks at that

(That's Dead Rising)

Too many hawaiian shirts burn my eyes!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

This is complete and utter nonsense...

I have already stated that the only graphical flay about COD2 on the Xbox 360 is the lack of Anti Aliasing.. This is obviously because it is only an early demo and AA will be added for the final release (there is very little performace hit with the 360 when AA is enabled due to the way the GPU was designed, i.e. its designed with AA in mind).

I have a PC with a 6800 Ultra and 2 gigs of RAM.. I can certainly set the graphics so that it looks the same as the Xbox 360 version of COD2. I am darned if I can get anywhere near the same frame rate though.. I mean anywhere near.

It really is amazing who smooth COD2 runs on the 360.

steviec wrote:
    Current Gen was smooth, but often not too much was going on on screen. In that call of duty demo there were often lots and lots of troops running around, explosions all around you, dense smoke, and the frame rate never flinched. .

I should have just quoted this.. The detail in animation in some of the scenes was incredible.. The thing is, there was 20 of 30 things to look at at any time, especially on the beach scene.

Retr0gamer wrote:

The 360 is runoured to be considerably easier to develop for than the Cell.. The only console that may not be duel core is the Revolution. Some of the rumours that surround it are very interesting.. It could possibly be by far the easiest to develop for but the late launch will count against it.

The revolution will be extremely easy to develop for especially for developers who have experience with the GC. Nintendo say that the developement tools for the Gamecube can be used to develop games. The Xbox360 seems to be very easy to develope for due to the PC like architecture and can be seen in the PC ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Great!! so we can look forward to crappy 360 ports on the pc, just like we did with the xbox. :rolleyes:

:v:
    CC

• Advertisement
Advertisement