Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor problems at the moment?

• 06-11-2005 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

Is there Meteor network down in Dublin at the moment or anything?

I have a Motrola c975 here. It's unlocked. Both O2 and Vodafone simcards will work in it but the Meteor one, while showing the network on screen, has no reception.

The phone is a 3G phone, and Voda and O2 both have a 3G network to connect to - but surely the 2.5G Meteor should work in it too?

Or not ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭ratboy

meteor are the worst phone company ever, i have to fecking go to certain parts of my house to get bars on my phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

I've had grand reception for ages, my phoneis 2.5 tho

South Dublin if thats any help

I didn't know O2 did 3G, thought it was just Vodafone and 3:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

O2 have 3G datacards out - and if you put an O2 SIM into an unlocked 3G phone you'll see 3G reception in most "big" places.

I'm in Dublin 15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

ciaranfo wrote:
    O2 have 3G datacards out - and if you put an O2 SIM into an unlocked 3G phone you'll see 3G reception in most "big" places.

I'm in Dublin 15.
    Regular sims? What are these datacards?

Scrap my question. Managed to get someone with a Meteor SIM and tried it in the phone - no luck.

They have reception in their phone though, as do I.

Seems a 3G phone needs a 3G SIM... unless I'm missing some setting on the Motorola c975.

storm >> O2 have 3G coverage in most of Dublin at the moment. You can see this by putting any O2 SIMCARD into an unlocked 3G phone and it'll show as 3G.
    Data cards are something people use to connect to the internet wirelessly from "anywhere".

• Advertisement

I tried a Meteor SIM in my unlocked Nokia 6680. The Meteor network worked fine, but if it tried to roam on O2 then it would fail, since it was trying to roam on the 3G O2 network whereas Meteor are only permitted to use the 2.5G network. Locking the phone in GSM solves that problem.

So there are problems with 3G phones and Meteor, but the one I mentioned wouldn't apply to you in Dublin. Check to see if the phone is set to 3G only or something. Should be in Menu > Settings > Network > Network Setup. Set the band to 900/1800.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You can use a Meteor 2g sim in the c975. Is there a network mode option?

It does give an option between cdma (3g isn't it?) and 1900... neither seem to work ?

But automatic works!

Cheers for the advice MobileInfantry :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

1900 and CDMA are US mobile bands. They won't work in Ireland.

• Advertisement

I thought CDMA was 3G ?

ciaranfo wrote:
    I thought CDMA was 3G ?
    Not quite. It is called UMTS http://www.cellular.co.za/umts.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I know for a fact that Meteor SIM cards will not work in the majority of 3G phones. I've tried an unlocked, Voda branded 6680 as well as that new Samsung and Sharp they have. Signal was fine, but was unable to make calls. Text messages could be sent from some of the phones though.

Meteor just doesn't support 3G yet.

Meteor don't have any 3G network so they naturally don't support it.

Advertisement