Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up Netgear DG834GT Router on Metro

• 07-11-2005 12:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭

I've tried hooking this router up to set up a wireless network at home and have no joy with it. It can't recognise the ip automatically. I think all my connections are set up properly but there must be a setting in the setup page that I don't know what to do. Any help would be a bonus.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Metro has a static IP? if so configure it as static and enable dhcp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

No it's an extra €19.99 a month for a static ip. I have DHCP enabled but it;s bugging me a little bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Does the router have an ethernet uplink port?

I tried to do this for a friend with his metro setup and a ADSL modem/wireless router but then figured out that you need a wireless router with a dedicated ethernet uplink port.

To get the two to work the Metro cable modem was turned off for 45 minutes and then turned back on. The wireless router then turned on and set up for Automatic IP addressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

ive tried on my linksys wag45G which is a adsl gateway, i put it into routed mode but it wouldnt work, thats even after i reset the cable modem, so i have it in bridged at the moment and the modem configured the router to use DCHP relay.
    So no matter where i use my laptop be it via wireless or wired i still get a public ip of 83.XXX.XXX.248 and all other computers seem to get puplic ip's that are the same except .248 is .58
    I was looking for a WRT54G in PC world today but they didnt have any so i ordered it from komplett.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=306148&cks=PLC

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

kensutz wrote:
    I've tried hooking this router up to set up a wireless network at home and have no joy with it. It can't recognise the ip automatically. I think all my connections are set up properly but there must be a setting in the setup page that I don't know what to do. Any help would be a bonus.

The 834gt is an adsl modem/router - you would need something like http://www.netgear.co.uk/extra/h_wirelessrouter_wgt624.php or
    http://www1.linksys.com/international/product.asp?coid=18&ipid=452.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Thanks lads, bought the Linksys WRT54G and it was a piece of pi55 to set up. Well worth getting. Now to apply all my security settings and I'm flying. Btw if anyone is interested in picking up the other modem from me I have it for sale.

kensutz wrote:
    Thanks lads, bought the Linksys WRT54G and it was a piece of pi55 to set up. Well worth getting. Now to apply all my security settings and I'm flying. Btw if anyone is interested in picking up the other modem from me I have it for sale.

Yeah good, isnt it :D
    I am always impressed with linksys, good choice there;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

There should be no reason why an ADSL 4 port router won't work, thats what im going to use. I've got a DG834G, that and some configuring and maybe a cross over cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

bazH wrote:
    There should be no reason why an ADSL 4 port router won't work, thats what im going to use. I've got a DG834G, that and some configuring and maybe a cross over cable.

Yes there is as I've discovered with a vigor dsl box. It seems that the general rule is to only accept it coming in from the WAN end (i.e. the dsl connection).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

accept what? lets say the ip address of the metro router is 192.168.0.1 and the lan ip of the adsl router is 192.168.0.2, set the client machines to have a 192.168.0.X ip with a gateway of 192.168.0.1.

Unless i'm missing something?

• Advertisement

bazH wrote:
    accept what? lets say the ip address of the metro router is 192.168.0.1 and the lan ip of the adsl router is 192.168.0.2, set the client machines to have a 192.168.0.X ip with a gateway of 192.168.0.1.

Unless i'm missing something?

even so the metro modem doesnt operate as a router, i tried it and all that happens it the metro modem through a adsl router just gives new wan ip's based on your mac address of your hardware.
    I got the wireless signal through my router but no lan ip like 192.168.1.101
    just a wan ip from the metro modem.

Advertisement