Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Divers- Name & Shame

• 07-11-2005 1:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Eidur Gudjohnsen
    Cristiano Ronaldo
    El Hadji Diouf

And from my own team, i'd have to say Luis Garcia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

You're better off naming people who always stay on their feet.

I'm gonna go with Roy Keane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

It's part of moddern football really..wingers win free-kicks to get delivery...Strikers look for penos...centre backs will always be in a tussle because 99/100 the ref will give a free out...strikers who are isolated/team under pressure will take a tumble to take the pressure off and get players forward...

It's really a question of how good you are at it, and how much you abuse it!!

But to keep the thread format..Divers:
    C.Ronaldo
    R Van Nistleroy
    Robbie Keane

My team:
    Damien Duff (Ireland)

Stays on their feet:
    Alan Shearer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I think its a tad harsh to name Van the Man as a diver. Granted, he has had a couple in his time, but I dont think he should be branded a full fledged member of the diving community. Sadly, Cristiano is indefensible here. He dives far to often. The most irritating part of this is that, regularly, he goes down whereas if he had stayed up, would have been in a better position to continue the attack.

Diouf, Drogba and Pires spring to mind immediately.

Stays on their feet; Keano, Shearer, Alan Smith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Damien Duff (du du du du, du du - Can't touch this!)
    Patrick Vieira (Purely for the one vs Liverpool)
    Park Ji-Sung (Haven't seen it for United yet though)

Can't think of anyone from Shels or Southampton who would fit the bill. Honestly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

AHSLEY COLE

I'll never forget that time when Keane came running towards him in the box near the byeline and stopped just short and Cole threw himself to the ground, Keane being about two feet away. Absolute clown - should have been booked, disgrace that he wasn't.

Own team: Cristiano.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I hate that Greg Louganis guy. He's always at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Pires
    J.Cole
    Drogba

Pires is my pet hate. Even a mate of mine who is a gooner will readily admit that he is just too much. Last week against Man City, Mills won the ball fairly, Pires ended up on his arse and when he tried to get up he threw a punch/slap at Mills. What did the cheat do then? He cringed his face and held his hand as if Mills had hit his hand using his stomach. Not only is he a diver but he is a cheat, a coward and a sore loser.

My own team:
    Ronaldo

Infuriating to watch.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Pires
    Diouf
    Duff
    Luis Garcia
    Ashley Cole
    Drogba
    Owen
    Robben
    Cisse
    C. Ronaldo

etc.

The list could go on forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

There is a difference beween going down easily under a foul contact(Van Nistelrroy and most continental strikers ) and blatant dives (Viera last year).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Andy Johnson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

TheMonster wrote:
    There is a difference beween going down easily under a foul contact(Van Nistelrroy and most continental strikers ) and blatant dives (Viera last year).
    Well Duff rarely (obviously does sometimes) dives without contact. He just goes down easily. One thing that makes him look a lot worse is that after he dislocated his shoulder he got lessons off a Judo expert on how to fall while minimising the chance of a shoulder injury. Keep an eye out and you'll see him put his arm over his shoulder and roll over. :)

BTW - I'm a RVN fan but he didn't just go down easily against Lille. He was in the box and pretty much jumped to the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

eirebhoy wrote:
    Well Duff rarely (obviously does sometimes) dives without contact. He just goes down easily. One thing that makes him look a lot worse is that after he dislocated his shoulder he got lessons off a Judo expert on how to fall while minimising the chance of a shoulder injury. Keep an eye out and you'll see him put his arm over his shoulder and roll over. :)

BTW - I'm a RVN fan but he didn't just go down easily against Lille. He was in the box and pretty much jumped to the ground.

Worrying thing about Duffer is that he is becoming all too frequent, more and more each week.

He is starting to get booed every time he touches the ball, and he is getting the same type as reputation as Pires etc....
    It would be a shame if he carries on, as I don't think he has the strength of character to perform at his best if he gets heckled from the crowd, he is a sensitive soul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Culchie wrote:
    Worrying thing about Duffer is that he is becoming all too frequent, more and more each week.

He is starting to get booed every time he touches the ball, and he is getting the same type as reputation as Pires etc....
    It would be a shame if he carries on, as I don't think he has the strength of character to perform at his best if he gets heckled from the crowd, he is a sensitive soul.

He gets heckled from the crowd because he is one of Chelsea's best players and one of there best attacking....the crowd is trying to put him off.....to show this look at the abuse he was receiving when taking a cornor yesterday....watch the face of some of the fans to know what type of things they where saying....he isnt a diver.....he just makes sure that if someone tackles him that he protects himself and goes down for a free...watch him at blackburn when he was getting the absolute sh*t kicked out of him and he was staying on his feet....then would lose the ball and get nothing because the defender would have taken both his legs off.....

Then there is Pires...who is ************************ in my honest opinion.....I would love to see him thrown out of PL for his antics.....time and time again I watch and Arsenal game and he is at the same thing.....first time I didnt was on Sat when he didnt get a touch of the ball

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yeah I have to agree that Pires is by far the worse. It really annoys me when players dive and referees should be alot more strict and dish out more yellow cards for diving than they do at the moment. Duffer is getting worse at diving but the only thing in his defence is that he usually goes down under contact.

I honestly cant name a player off leeds who dives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭tel922001

pires
    Drogba which i personaly think is the biggest wind bag in the whole league , 6ft 3 bag of **** , falls when the wind blows
    ronaldo

luis garcia , has to be one of the worst even tho i follow liverpool

Kingp35 wrote:

I cant name one off Shef Wed either! to be honest you dont see much of it in the lower leagues!! there is a few dodgy peno's and so on but not even close to half to what you would see in the top European leagues....that why I love to watch a good Championship game.....also seems to be more hunger in the players than alot of the PL players who are just there for the money!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

As an Arsenal fan i can't really defend Pires, however I think our green tinted glasses are preventing some people from seeing that Duff is just as bad as him. Some of his diving is atrocious. Drogba is fairly bad as well. Someone who hasn't been mentioned, Owen. I consider deliberately "drawing" a penalty the same as diving.

vorbis wrote:
    As an Arsenal fan i can't really defend Pires, however I think our green tinted glasses are preventing some people from seeing that Duff is just as bad as him. Some of his diving is atrocious. Drogba is fairly bad as well. Someone who hasn't been mentioned, Owen. I consider deliberately "drawing" a penalty the same as diving.

Think you actually criticised and defended Duff in one post.....Pires just dives....nobody goes near him and he goes over.....Duff like alot of wingers....could put Robben in same bracket.....they draw a foul....draw the defender in....show them the ball and defender goes for it and before they know it ball is gone and they are taking the player.,...Henry does the same....Pires doesnt!!! thats the difference!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Vieira has become an awful sod for doing it the last few seasons. I used to respect him hugely. Not anymore though because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I found it comical yesterday, watching C.Ronaldo get insanely pissed off at Gudjohnsen going down easily! Actually had me in stitches!! :D

Cheating scum the lot of them.

vorbis wrote:
    As an Arsenal fan i can't really defend Pires, however I think our green tinted glasses are preventing some people from seeing that Duff is just as bad as him. Some of his diving is atrocious.
    I can't agree with that. He goes down easily. Drogba's dives are atrocious in that he goes down as if he was shot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Big Nelly wrote:
    I cant name one off Shef Wed either! to be honest you dont see much of it in the lower leagues!! there is a few dodgy peno's and so on but not even close to half to what you would see in the top European leagues....that why I love to watch a good Championship game.....also seems to be more hunger in the players than alot of the PL players who are just there for the money!!

Totally agree with you Big Nelly. I find it very hard to think of any players in the Championship who dive. It seems to me as if the players who dive are more the "bigger" players throughout the Premiership. Players are alot more honest in the lower leagues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Neil Sullivan, honestly though only seems to be in the games where tv coverage is more prevalent.
    Diving is the lowest of the low in my book, and I hate it when I see Pires taking a tumble. As for Vieira's one against Liverpool last year, I actually felt rather embarrassed watching the captain of a team I have supported for years cheating.
    Its something which has gradually grown in the game, i.e can you imagine back in the early 90's, late 80's men like Mark Hughes or Stuart Pearce taking a tumble. Although its something which is linked constantly to foreigners more and more Irish -duffer, and English players - Cole, having been known to take a dive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Gudjohnsen was a joke yesterday, only on the field and he goes down twice, everyone in the pub was goin mental. Ya Ronaldo really annoys me when he goes down when he could keep goin and now even when he does get tripped or knocked off a ball he's not getting frees cause of his bad rep. RVN is even worse, pathetic attempts at getting peno's, and that's comin from a man u fan.But no one comes close to Pires for it, tripping himself up with his other leg, muppet! Would love ta throw a few soccer stars into a gaa match, twud be great to see their reactions to some of the tackles,lol. :D

Roddy23 wrote:
    Its something which has gradually grown in the game, i.e can you imagine back in the early 90's, late 80's men like Mark Hughes or Stuart Pearce taking a tumble.QUOTE]

Sparky Hughes was famous for grabbing the defender and dragging him down on top of him to get frees :D

• Advertisement

Kingp35 wrote:
    Totally agree with you Big Nelly. I find it very hard to think of any players in the Championship who dive. It seems to me as if the players who dive are more the "bigger" players throughout the Premiership. Players are alot more honest in the lower leagues

Seem to be agreeing on a few things today for a change:D

To watch the master watch Inzaghi for Milan.....he is one mofo at diving but the Italians think diving is an art!! have quoted this before on here but there was a call from Italian FA to red card divers and the Italians went mad saying it was an art and they where the masters at it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

deisedevil wrote:
    Roddy23 wrote:
    Its something which has gradually grown in the game, i.e can you imagine back in the early 90's, late 80's men like Mark Hughes or Stuart Pearce taking a tumble.QUOTE]

Sparky Hughes was famous for grabbing the defender and dragging him down on top of him to get frees :D

That was becuase he was stronger than most defenders and liked to rough them up. I never saw him dive and tbh if he did he would probably look quite funny.:D

Big Nelly wrote:
    Seem to be agreeing on a few things today for a change:D
    ah im sure that wont last :D
    Roddy23 wrote:
    Although its something which is linked constantly to foreigners more and more Irish -duffer, and English players - Cole, having been known to take a dive.

thats because there is such a big foreign influence in English football these days that players are going to be influenced by what others do. if they see the foreign guys are getting away with it then the English and Irish guys are going to try and do the same thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

There are some players who are very good at drawing a tackle, would yis consider this attribute diving if the player is actually illegally fouled? Damien duff is good at it, Alan Shearer has been doing this for years and everyone considers shearer an honest player, I think its just the way you execute it, if a defender is running at you like a bull in the box and he catches you, its a penalty, fair and square.All players would do anything to win, and i have to be honest when i played i did let somebody tackle me and won a penalty and stuck it away, and we won, and i obviously dont play in the top flight so i dont think its confined to the premier league.anyway my list of serial divers is (in order):

Pires, ,Inzaghi ,the iraeli goalkeeper, RVN, Cristiano Ronaldo, Any of the FC porto team that won the CL a couple of years ago

bucks73 wrote:
    deisedevil wrote:

That was becuase he was stronger than most defenders and liked to rough them up. I never saw him dive and tbh if he did he would probably look quite funny.:D

What i am sayin is he used to back into a defender and then catch hold of him and pull him down on top of him, looked like the defender took him out. He was class at it, clever little fecker :D but none of the screaming like he had gotten shot or jumping through the air then giving 4 rolls and starting to cry for a free or getting another player booked.

Someone mentioned Inzaghi, no doubt about it he is the king of diving and cheating,makes me sick lookin at the little bollix.

Come to think of it, Jens Lehmann goes down pretty easily... although against Spurs their tactic was fairly blatant, annoy Lehmann into giving away another penalty for punching somebody. Thankfully the ref picked up on it and booked a couple of spurs players for trying to wind him up by standing on him or pushing or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

eirebhoy wrote:

I remember one against Ipswich that all but sent them down where he literally just rhew himself on the ground without being touched at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

i was reading some of this thread , and i just thought WHO CARES ? Also what difference is the "name and shame" going to make ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Robbie Keane (at least with Ireland) is a terrible diver. I do agree that Duff draws the foul rather than dives.

Man I wish it was 20 years ago when this wasn't a puffs game. Personally I blame Klinsmann for it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

The worst divers in planet football are:

Derlei(F.C. Porto) The worst diver ever. He was taken off on a stretcher 4 times in the Uefa Cup final against Celtic. His main motive for diving is to get players booked not so much getting frees because he always roles around like he's been shot in the back.

Miroslav Klose(Werder Bremen): A close second. The more basic type of diver. Basically he goes down anytime an opponent goes near him for the purpose of gaining free kicks. Although in his case it could be genetic. Maybe he is in fact one of these goats? http://www.compfused.com/directlink/765/

The finest example of someone who never dives is:
    Ryan Giggs. I have never seen him dive once in his entire career and considering he is a winger that is truly remarkable. Fellow wingers hang your heads in shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Slash/ED wrote:
    I remember one against Ipswich that all but sent them down where he literally just rhew himself on the ground without being touched at all.
    That was actually the dive that relegated them, they needed 1 point to survive, and RVN thought he was in Hollywood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Can't think of a Blackburn player who dives TBH. Think if he did, he'd be ridiculed by the rest of the team :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Robbie Savage! Total fecking cheat if also a hard-working one!

Mike.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Recently I can recall seeing Gudjohnsen, Vieira, Ashley Cole and Gary Neville all make really bad dives when there was nobody anywhere near them. Gudjohnsen's dive against United was pretty bad, but there was one last season where he literally belly-flopped on the ground - only the defender pulled his leg away as he went to dive, so he looked utterly ridiculous. Ditto Vieira against Liverpool last year and Cole against United. Gary Neville's air-dive against Man City and following send-off for head butting McManaman last season in the derby was equally hilarious.

Pires gets an unfair reputation imo. He's a diver, but since the Portsmouth game he's been absolutely crucified even though he's no worse than most of the other regulars in the premiership, he just regularily falls over whenever people bump into him. I don't defend that (I find it amusing when people try to justify RVN's and other player's antics), purposely throwing yourself to the ground whether you've been brushed against or not, is a dive - it's just a more effective way at the conning the ref. At least Pires usually gets up pretty quickly afterwards (he's perfected the fall-and-roll-straight-back-onto-feet efficiency-dive) as opposed to say, Drogba or Essien, who roll around clutching some random part of their body screaming in agony until the referee decides whether he'll card the defender or not. I'd put Cristy Ronaldo in the same bracket as Pires, he's a bit of a ballerina but mostly he just sits on the ground and sulks as opposed to rolling around screaming like he's just landed on Omaha beach.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Reyes, most times I watch Arsenal games with others they moan about him. I don't think he's a diver though, he just seems willing to get the **** kicked out of himself for the team. He's not exactly made out of steel yet he very regularily waits until a split second before the defender goes to slam into him before he nudges the ball out of the way. Very effective way of legitimately getting free-kicks and such but it will probably turn out to be a bad career move (most fouled player in Spain, I can see why).

I agree with you about Pires, he's no worse than many other divers in the premiership but then came the Portsmouth dive and the media all jumped on the bandwagon and as a result he's the most mentioned player in this thread. Yes he dives, but so do others. I think maybe he's just a little bit better at it than everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    That was actually the dive that relegated them, they needed 1 point to survive, and RVN thought he was in Hollywood.

I'm glad someone else remembers it, it's never mentioned and is probably the worst dive I've ever seen that has resulted in a free kick/penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I cannot belive that no one has mentioned the most consistently pathetic diver of recent years..... Emile Heskey! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I think Heskey falls over just as much walking down the street, donkey that he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

pires
    luis garcia
    laurent robert
    robben

ronaldinho
    C ronaldo
    deco
    gudjohnsen
    RVN
    rooney
    duff
    robben
    beckham

the whole bloody porto team under the mourinho era at least (i know ive already mentioned 'On the Deco!')

Basturk (swap k with d)

ashley cole
    pires
    vieira
    Reyes
    Drogba...

i could go on and on...whoever said naming the non-divers is easier was dead right

ronaldinho
    You can't expect us to take your post seriously after mentioning him? He's the opposite to diver.

• Advertisement
Advertisement