Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X360s in Irish shops now

Options
  • 07-11-2005 2:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭

I was in gamestop today and discovered an Xbox 360 booth just sitting there, running a bunch of demos. Which came as a bit of a surprise, I know its out next month but there seems to be little or no hype, in this country anyway.

But yea, gave it a bit of a go. Well mostly watched other people play but I got an impression anyway. I love the joypad. It's swaying me towards getting one already, the joypad is the number one reason I never bought an Xbox(my hands got sore when playing too long) but this one feels really comfortable, maybe even better than the Playstation.

As for the games, I saw Kameo, which looked like a copy of Metroid Prime but I never got to play it and see what its like, and then Call of Duty 2, which is basically exactly what you'd expect. Graphics were excellent, but didn't exactly scream 'next gen' at me. They looked like very very good looking Xbox games. Call of Duty was very very busy though, I was impressed at the amount going on at once with little or no slowdown. However the most impressive thing technically was the absolutely gorgeous Hi-Def screen it was running on. The booth made me want to rush out and buy a Samsung TV more than it made me wanna buy an X360.

Overall though my impressions are positive. The games that I saw aren't ones that I'd buy the console based on, I need to see some more games and see reviews. But the machine itself really looks the part, the joypads are comfortable(in my opinion the most important difference between actual systems is probably the joypads and load times, I can live with a few less polygons or whatever) and the games looked the part, I can't help wondering how it'd look on a normal Irish household tv though. And while it looked good, it never made my jaw drop and go 'wow'

So yea, I figure this is worthy of a thread for people who've tried them out to give first impressions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Like to check it out.

While Perfect Dark Zero looks nice, I definetly won't be getting a 360 at launch or for the near future (at least when I fully check out what Sony and Nintendo have to offer).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Yeah i saw Cod2 running on an x360 in smyths too. Looked lovely, but i cant help but wonder how much it will suffer looks wise if you dont have one of those feckin gorgeous TV's to run it on. Really didnt look too different from the PC version

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I'll have to check out some shops here.
    I'm slowly starting to realise that I won't be able to get my 360 any time soon, will probably have to wait until my birthday in March. money is tight enough as it is and I don't see any coming in.
    I guess it's a good thing though, by march the line up should be much stronger, bugs should be ironed out and who knows, the price might be a bit lower!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I want a HD tv more than I want any next gen console !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Anyone see the program on BBC2 I think last Friday night about the x360...the main distribution centre in Europe is in Dublin so they will all have to come here first....wonder will someone rob a lorry load of them...haha

Was stupid the way they kept going on they wouldnt have enought x360's for the market and they wouldnt be able to restock shops after initial sales...this is all publicity to try and get everyone into the shops to buy ASAP so they get there figures up....teh launch in holland looked good thou!! wasnt impressed with the screen shots of the games they had...didnt look anything great....the best bit was Sony guy...didnt give a s**t what Microsoft where doing...was just sitting ther going....well we will be top of market anyway!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Tusky wrote:
    I want a HD tv more than I want any next gen console !

Ditto.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

im sorted on the tv front :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

HDTV's aren't worth getting yet. They make normal TV look like ****. No point in buying a train when the broadcasters haven't installed the rails.

Is there a Neon demo on there? I'm looking forward to seeing that in action after reading so much of Jeff Minter's blog. The new Geometry Wars and Mutant Storm look cool as well. I hope interesting indie developers get more of a shot at the next gen consoles. Blockbusters bore the **** out of me at this point. I want quirky arcade games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

ne1 know where these consoles are like what countys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Seriously go back to school!! if anyone can make this out they deserve a medal!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Lambsbread

In what counties is it available in?

I was thinking of buying the Xbox for some of the games on it that i've missed out on, like Far Cry, Half-Life 2 etc. considering its relatively cheap now. But is the X360 backwards compatible like the PS2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Boco

Lambsbread wrote:

I was thinking of buying the Xbox for some of the games on it that i've missed out on, like Far Cry, Half-Life 2 etc. considering its relatively cheap now. But is the X360 backwards compatible like the PS2?

It is backwards compatible, but not like the ps2 :)

The backwards compatibility is emulated in software, and on a case by case basis for each game (although I'm sure there are cases that if you get a game like Halo 2 or Forza working, alot of other games will also work without much more work). Not all games will be backwards compatible out of the box. MS may decide to release "patches" to make these games work in the future. Because its done in software, and not in hardware as it is in the PS2, it means you will need the hard drive for it to work.

For games like Half-Life 2 and Far Cry, I would expect them to work on the xbox 360 on day 1.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

steviec wrote:
    I was in gamestop today and discovered an Xbox 360 booth just sitting there, running a bunch of demos. Which came as a bit of a surprise, I know its out next month but there seems to be little or no hype, in this country anyway.

Here's some some, hype, or news, or whatever from Ireland. Mind you, I guess it's still in the 'little or no' (or unknown) slot.
    steviec wrote:
    Graphics were excellent, but didn't exactly scream 'next gen' at me.

That's something a lot of games journos were saying at/after E3. And why the perceived majority were cautiously more impressed by the PS3 (even if it was a few videos pre-rendered on apparently PS3 like hardware). But to be fair to the 360, the normal story is as a console gets older developers (and their tools) adapt and graphics improve, if this will be the case is another thing.

Big Nelly wrote:
    Seriously go back to school!! if anyone can make this out they deserve a medal!! :D

I know lol i did not know what i was saying myself

Lambsbread wrote:

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Had a wee look today.. I wasn't in anyway impressed with the games on display and ended up making excuses for the damned thing..

COD2 was pretty impressive from a distance but up close, the lack of Anti Aliasing was very apparent.. I really hope they fix this for the final release - I imagine they will..

Kameo looked pretty impressive and have some lovely graphical touches - Not my type of game though

- Only a video of PGR3 - Shambolic. This is the one game I really wanted to see and they didn't even have real time in game demo on show..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

Isn't it ridicioulus that to get the best out of the xbox you have to get a hdtv

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Isn't it ridicioulus that to get the best out of the xbox you have to get a hdtv
    No

Would you prefer they didn't embrace any new technology? You don't need a HDTV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Boco wrote:
    It is backwards compatible, but not like the ps2 :)
    And from what I'm hearing now, the PS3 won't be completely backwards compatible. Sony started saying, "The PS3 shall be backwards compatible!" and now it's, "Yeah, not so much. Some games might, like, freeze up, or, eh, crash, or whatever."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

And from what I'm hearing now, the PS3 won't be completely backwards compatible. Sony started saying, "The PS3 shall be backwards compatible!" and now it's, "Yeah, not so much. Some games might, like, freeze up, or, eh, crash, or whatever."

Well they couldn't make the silver slimline PS2 fully compatible with the ahem PS2 so I wouldn't hold out much hope for the PS3 :v:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

i had a proper go of it today. my views:

I thought the shoulder buttons and triggers would be accessedusing the middle and index fingers but its only index which would mean having to release a trigger. nice pad though.

Screen on the pod is best thing tbh.

Played Kameo and Call of duty.

didnt like either at all and there was nothing there that my poor pc couldnt run and I dont have a good pc.

really disappointed with what they have on show to be honest. they should have had more playable demos like pgr3 and pd0 instead of just videos or in the case of perfect dark... nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭franman

Had a go of this last night. First of all was really impressed with the controller. felt very comfy and worked really well with CoD2. aiming was alot easier than i was expecting going on past experiences with FPS on consoles.

as for the games wasnt blown away. i agree with most of whats been said already. didnt like Kameo at all!! CoD2 was exactly what i expected. good gameplay with decent graphics and alot of action running very smoothly. PGR3 only had a video but the in-game graphics looked amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Damn, Kameo was looking like my favourite from the list.

Ain't so great no?

Also, anyone know any demo pods in Limerick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

Ciaran500 wrote:
    No

Would you prefer they didn't embrace any new technology? You don't need a HDTV.

No I am not saying that they should not embrace new technology.But microsoft
    do expect us to get a HDTV just to play video games we are not made of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

So in your opinions is the X360 worth getting cause im thinking about it for the christmas. From what i have read so far its getting better ratings than the ps3 but im not sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

evad_lhorg wrote:
    they should have had more playable demos like pgr3 and pd0 instead of just videos or in the case of perfect dark... nothing.

I'm not expecting PD0 to be great. The team that made goldeneye and the good parts of PD have moved to Free Radical and Retro Studies. Rare aren't the team they used to be. Was hoping to be surprised by Kameo but it just feels like a bad clone of Nintendos better games like what Rare seemed to pump out at the end of the N64 era when the talent had moved on. (Conkers is ****e. Fact.)

Well MS don't expect you to.. They just know that more and more consumers are buying HDTV's and are taking advantage of this.. You can twist it whatever way you like to be honest.

murfie wrote:
    So in your opinions is the X360 worth getting cause im thinking about it for the christmas. From what i have read so far its getting better ratings than the ps3 but im not sure.

Well ignore the comparisons with the PS3.. Very very very very few people have actually playing anything on the PS3. It probably wont be out here for another year sure..

As for the Xbox 360. I will defo be getting mine at launch. Am second on the list in Game in Dundrum so I should be safe enough. PGR3 alone is enough for me to justity buying it at the moment. But I am silly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Had a go of it today.

From recollection it's been quite some time that I've test-driven a new console to walk away feeling underwhelmed.

Had a go of Kameo first, seems like typical Rare-fare. The graphics are definetly very nice (backgrounds especially) and I oogled at them for a bit. However, after they got old, it didn't do much else to impress me.

Call of Duty 2 was worse. I've played loads of war games before and this just looked like one on a souped-up PC. Wasn't much here.

Controller is an adjusted improvement over the Xbox version, but it didn't make me go nuts or anything.

Overall, I'll have to see what other games are on offer, however I'm going to have to take Nintendo's and Sony's entries into account so that won't be for awhile. Just can't help but feel disappointed by this transition to "next generation", doesn't really feel like it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Jesus stop crying. It's not a requirement. If it has hdtv only you would have a valid arguement.

Advertisement