Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X360s in Irish shops now

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

MS are not expecting anyone to go and buy a hdtv just for the xbox, its just a common fact that HDTV is taking over. Sony, Philips and Thompson (i believe the 3 largest tv makers) have actually stopped making crt tvs. They are only making Plasma and HD's and even the plasma is dying out!!!

So its not to force to get one, its a fact that if you want this thing to have a shelf life your going to have to make it HD or see it die in a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Isn't it ridicioulus that to get the best out of the xbox you have to get a hdtv

Yeah, they should restrict its resolution, and ship it with those RF video connectors we used with the NES and Master System.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

tbh I'm surprised more console gamers don't die of shock when they see games like HL2 running at massive high resolutions on decent PC's.
    All I can say is - it's about forking time.
    I find console racing games really annoying because of the low res, you can't see into the distance properly... it's like driving with myopia.
    Burnout2 for example... fantastically frustrating. :eek:
    Have they released any high-def demo footage at all? I'd like to download a clip in its native hi-res for a look-see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Can you not see the actual *point* FranchisePlayer was trying to make, Microsoft said verbatimly that one is playing their games with an impedement if they don't own a HDTV, they claim you'll miss out on all the extra graphical flair that has been put into the games by the developers, they also stated that all the 360's games were geared specifically for users with HDTV's and that old CRT tv support is simply there to not eliminate the majority of the market. Yes, I think we all realise that a HDTV is not a requirement but, no, I don;t think we all realise that the games won't appear and astound in the way the developers intended on our 15" Philips portable T.V.'s. :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Can you not see the actual *point* FranchisePlayer was trying to make, Microsoft said verbatimly that one is playing their games with an impedement if they don't own a HDTV, they claim you'll miss out on all the extra graphical flair that has been put into the games by the developers, they also stated that all the 360's games were geared specifically for users with HDTV's and that old CRT tv support is simply there to not eliminate the majority of the market.

I still don't see the point? I think any idiot would reliase it's going to look much better on a nice hdtv than a 15" crt. If you have ever played a high res pc game you would know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Laguna wrote:
    Can you not see the actual *point* FranchisePlayer was trying to make, Microsoft said verbatimly that one is playing their games with an impedement if they don't own a HDTV, they claim you'll miss out on all the extra graphical flair that has been put into the games by the developers, they also stated that all the 360's games were geared specifically for users with HDTV's and that old CRT tv support is simply there to not eliminate the majority of the market. Yes, I think we all realise that a HDTV is not a requirement but, no, I don;t think we all realise that the games won't appear and astound in the way the developers intended on our 15" Philips portable T.V.'s. :v:

its retarded to not realise that a game looks better on a HDTV than on a 15" portable. i've a 28" CRT from Phillips and games look better on it than on a 15".

bottom line is, its not MS's fault you have a crap telly. stfu whining and buy a decent one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

tbh I'm surprised more console gamers don't die of shock when they see games like HL2 running at massive high resolutions on decent PC's.
    All I can say is - it's about forking time.
    I find console racing games really annoying because of the low res, you can't see into the distance properly... it's like driving with myopia.
    Burnout2 for example... fantastically frustrating. :eek:
    Have they released any high-def demo footage at all? I'd like to download a clip in its native hi-res for a look-see.

when i read this all i heard in my head was:

blah blah blah PC fanboy blah blah L33T haxorz, I am teh win

Whats all that about?

Draupnir wrote:
    its retarded to not realise that a game looks better on a HDTV than on a 15" portable. i've a 28" CRT from Phillips and games look better on it than on a 15".

bottom line is, its not MS's fault you have a crap telly. stfu whining and buy a decent one.

It's not my fault you can't conduct a civil conversation with resorting to 'STFU' like a piece of common trash (n.b you might want to look up whining in the dictionary; read my post again, I stated facts, not personal opinion). Not all of us can afford a HDTV, most us have other pressing 'real world' financial commitments, I'm guessing you're minted financially so you snap your fingers and HDTV's appear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭sharpjaws

went there few days ago. am not very impressed with any of the demos, cuz those are the graphics i see every day at home. nothing exiting ,spoted few bugs in kingkong.. idd like to see more demos and game plays,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Consoles are meant for kids to play games in their bedrooms on 15" portables not in the living room with 32" HDtv lCd screens.

Stupid move by microsoft a console is still a toy.

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaC wrote:
    Consoles are meant for kids to play games in their bedrooms on 15" portables not in the living room with 32" HDtv lCd screens.

Stupid move my microsoft a console is still a toy.

kdjac

Thank you Kdjac, that is what I was trying to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

and sony and nintendo wont do the same??

None of them give a **** about europe, lots of ppl in the US probably have HDTVs by now so thats all that matters to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

So what would it be better for Microsoft to do? Completely gimp their machine's power and design it to only run low res games? Sure while we're at it, lets complain that Half Life 2 won't run to its full potential on a nice affordable Celeron with Intel Extreme graphics.

Most people in Europe certainly don't have HDTVs now, but thats because there's no incentive to get one. With the next gen consoles and broadcasters coming on board over the next couple of years, I'd expect a lot more people to have them towards the end of this cycle, so it makes perfect sense to support hi def.

steviec wrote:
    So what would it be better for Microsoft to do? Completely gimp their machine's power and design it to only run low res games? Sure while we're at it, lets complain that Half Life 2 won't run to its full potential on a nice affordable Celeron with Intel Extreme graphics.

Most people in Europe certainly don't have HDTVs now, but thats because there's no incentive to get one. With the next gen consoles and broadcasters coming on board over the next couple of years, I'd expect a lot more people to have them towards the end of this cycle, so it makes perfect sense to support hi def.

So your gonna get one in your bedroom ?

You do realise true HDTV is a 48" set.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

HD is only being pushed now in europe. look at the sony bravia ads on now. come christmas sales time i'd say all the 360 owners with extra cash'll splash out on a fancy new hd tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

KdjaC wrote:
    So your gonna get one in your bedroom ?

You do realise true HDTV is a 48" set.

kdjac

Bigger screens aren't necessarily better, especially if your sitting close. I would assume you'd be losing a lot of the detail of more pixels by spreading them over a huge area if you go with a massive screen like that. My 17" PC monitor looks gorgeous in high res, I wouldn't want it any bigger.

Having said that neither my PS2 or Gamecube are in my bedroom, they've sat happily under a 28" TV for their entire lives. I moved my PS2 upstairs for a short while cos the TV in my bedroom supported 60Hz for running Suikoden 3, it was horrible trying to play burnout on that little TV though so it soon moved back down.

You said 'consoles are toys', I think Microsoft have made it pretty clear that they're aiming at the home entertainment market. I heard in an interview recently J Allard saying they don't see the PS3 as their competition, their aiming to compete with Desperate Housewives. They're not going to but I definitely don't think consoles are relegated to kids bedrooms anymore, I can think of lots of people I know where this isn't the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

And from what I'm hearing now, the PS3 won't be completely backwards compatible. Sony started saying, "The PS3 shall be backwards compatible!" and now it's, "Yeah, not so much. Some games might, like, freeze up, or, eh, crash, or whatever."

PS2 wasn't entirely backwards compatible with PSone either. There was a list of like, 20 games it didn't work with. I imagine PS3 will be very backwards compatible with PS2 and PSone, much more so than X360 will be with Xbox.

I'll have to have a look the X360 demo pod if I get a chance. But I've already decided I'm not buying one this year at least. I even have the money, but I just can't justify it. Not a great lineup sofar IMO - even graphically it doesn't seem like the leap you'd expect - and so many broken promises on MS's end since E3, too many. Heck, the latest is that some of the games aren't even rendering at high definition, but rather lower resolutions upscaled to high definition! (PGR3, for example, is rendering at 1024x600, apparently, only 66% of the resolution of 720p, and then they scale that up to 720p. Shambolic and another lie).
    steviec wrote:
    You said 'consoles are toys', I think Microsoft have made it pretty clear that they're aiming at the home entertainment market. I heard in an interview recently J Allard saying they don't see the PS3 as their competition, their aiming to compete with Desperate Housewives. They're not going to but I definitely don't think consoles are relegated to kids bedrooms anymore, I can think of lots of people I know where this isn't the case.

Hehe, pretty funny given the MS guy's comment, because Playstation made this the case. Reminds me of a comment from a Sega exec yonks ago talking about Dreamcast, and how he saw his competition as mobile phones and girlfriends. MS is absolutely trying for the same market as Playstation, and that may be where they have difficulty.

edit - I happily have a HD projector, so I'm set to go for HD games (whenever they truly come!). But just thought I'd point out that Nintendo has firmly said that Revolution will not support HD, because the market is so small for now. It also lets them get away with a less powerful system, and most won't notice (technically they only need a system a third as powerful to have as much power per pixel as the competition, since they're only targetting a third of the resolution).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

KdjaC wrote:

kdjac

Toys for big boys.. The reason the Sony Playstation was so successful is because they aimed it at all age groups. There main target age group was males in their mid 20's, i.e. the people with the spare cash to buy a new game every week every week if they so liked. An average kid has to get their parents to buy them.

I personally prefer PCs but I like the toyish nature of consoles and they certainly have a place.. I sometimes like to play a game in a confy armchair on a large screen..

Mario Kart, Street Fighter and Gran Turismo are just some titles that spring to mind that have nothing comparable on the PC.. There are many titles on the PC that just don't suit consoles either..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

LookingFor wrote:
    Nintendo has firmly said that Revolution will not support HD, because the market is so small for now. It also lets them get away with a less powerful system, and most won't notice (technically they only need a system a third as powerful to have as much power per pixel as the competition, since they're only targetting a third of the resolution).

Ironically, it is rumoured that Nintendo will be basing their console on the a very similar graphical chipset to that of the Xbox 360 and will also run with a multi core PowerPC processor.. The reason why the console is gonna come out at least a year after is so that the cost of these components will be cosniderably less than if they were to release it this Christmas...

It is also rumoured that by the time the PS3 is released, the Xbox 360 will be retailing at half the price of the PS3.

Ironically, it is rumoured that Nintendo will be basing their console on the a very similar graphical chipset to that of the Xbox 360 and will also run with a multi core PowerPC processor..

It's a completely custom part made by a completely different team. ATi started working on it some time before X360's chip, in fact. Similarities would be coincidental.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the CPU being similar to X360's however, but perhaps fewer cores (2) and clocked lower.

If they wait till later in 06 to launch they could certainly reap the benefit of more advanced manufacturing processes, but I'm not sure how long they'll wait. Mid 06 seems to be the timeframe they're targetting, apparently.
    It is also rumoured that by the time the PS3 is released, the Xbox 360 will be retailing at half the price of the PS3.

It'll certainly be cheaper. X360 is arguably over-priced relative to what you got for your buck at the PS2 or Xbox launches, and MS is a lot more concious of cost this time around, so they're definitely giving themselves headroom for price cuts.

PS3's pricing will be interesting to watch. To be honest, I think they're playing the "high end" card only to turn around and launch it at a relatively reasonable price, to ratchet up the value perception a lot. They've done it before with nearly every system - who remembers pre-launch reports of a $700 PS2 or a $500 PSP..? It has also been reported in a Japanese newspaper that Sony has told their partners it will launch for no more than 40,000 yen - basically the same price the PS2 launched at there (no confirmation from Sony, but it was an apparently reliable business paper). The dollar equivalent is $399, but PS2 launched at $299 in america..I think $399/€399 would be more likely for PS3 though, and very good value at that. If that were the case, I could certainly see a €199 X360 core pack late next year...don't think the premium pack would be that though.

I think MS needs to be careful with pricing though, and how the system is perceived. In terms of hardware features it IS already going to be inferior, and pricing it cheaper may have a negative impact in terms of consumer psychology, reinforcing a perception of inferiority. The Cheap/Value route didn't work for Playstation competitors before, and the last thing they want is to be perceived as the cheap "second choice" as others have before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

all the games playable on the pods, are only using one core of the processor, and when has any launch game luked the biz? the longer the console is on the market, the better luking the games will get, as the developers have more time, and know whats what after the practice, look at xbox launch titles, and compare then the realeses within the last 2 years, big diff. anyone who doesnt think its "next gen" looking is jumping the gun, as there LAUNCH TITLES on a game console, give the developers a chance, i think within the first 3-4 months after launch, we will start seeing some real progress, i for one cant wait to get the 360, and a HD tv would be nice too, but dont assume its no good, till youv'e tried it, these will sell like hot cakes regardless as if people have hd tv's or not.

all the games playable on the pods, are only using one core of the processor

This is a rumour, and not true. A number of devs came out after this was circulated to confirm their games were using all 3 cores, including for example, the Call of Duty 2 devs.

The point about the games improving is correct, though, but I'd rather wait to pick it up cheaper and with something like a brilliant looking Halo3 than pick one up now looking at the initial lineup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Linkdude

I didn't get to play it too long because my Dad wanted to get home to watch the Late Late Show, but I enjoyed my time with it. The controller is one of the biggest improvements I noticed compared to the original Xbox (I hated it), it feels so playable, though I didn't see much from the one game (I think it was King Kong or something), the Graphics were smooth, but they kind of looked like half a step forward really, Xtra-Vision seemed to be trying to hype it a bit, with the Xbox 360 boxes stacked in such a way that they resemble a human.

I don't think I'm all to interested so far, though I would probably go back to Xtravision to get a good play on it. I don't think I'll have enough money for it, and probably won't for quite a while. I'll probably get it if...

1. I have enough money to get it and the time period between then and the release of the Revolution is enough to get enough money for Revolution.

or 2. After I have both PS3 and Revolution, and I get enough money for an Xbox.

I'd think the latter. My estimate is that I'll be able to afford one after I get a job, which would probably be before my 17th birthday seeing as my 16th Birthday isn't until pretty much the very end of Summer. That's quite a while, so I'll probably get one around the middle or near the end of its lifetime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Draupnir wrote:
    when i read this all i heard in my head was:

blah blah blah PC fanboy blah blah L33T haxorz, I am teh win

Whats all that about?
    Yeah, you've pretty much got the gyst of it alright.
    teh PC raawkkz0rz!!! :E :E :E
    Consolez aer teh low res poop lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭PlayaFlow

KdjaC wrote:

kdjac

ooohh you're so wise and smart!! when secretly youre probably one of those 32 yr old cast-aways living with the parents and that still collects actions figures.

Consoles arent meant for kids and they are more than a toy . Infact the majority of people who purchase such consoles are males in between the age of 22-28, and that was proven.
    stop trying to pass of your stupid opinions as fact.

PlayaFlow wrote:
    ooohh you're so wise and smart!! when secretly youre probably one of those 32 yr old cast-aways living with the parents and that still collects actions figures.

Consoles arent meant for kids and they are more than a toy . Infact the majority of people who purchase such consoles are males in between the age of 22-28, and that was proven.

and I don't care if youre a mod or not, stop trying to pass of your stupid opinions as fact dumba$$.

Is this an attempt at an opinion on something to do with the Xbox 360 or a blatantly childish snipe at KdjaC?. Who do you think you are calling him one of
    PlayaFlow wrote:
    those 32 yr old cast-aways living with the parents and that still collects actions figures.
    ?

That's quite a vivid picture you paint of what you think KdjaC is like, is this scenario very familiar to you?

Consoles WERE originally designed for children as a way of playing computer games, a streamlined way of playing these games without the hassle of a PC and all the maintenance required.
    PlayaFlow wrote:
    stop trying to pass of your stupid opinions as fact dumba$$.

That sentence is far more applicable to you.

whta are u, some sort of personal but-kisser for Kdjac?

What i said was fact , what he said was not - simple.

honestly who do you think the target mkt. for a 400 euro console with a hard drive that can stream off windows XP , hook up to Ipods, Download film trailers from the Internet etc are aimed.

Thats the sort of comment people would have made while playing super mario in the 90's.

And who is he to say who consoles are aimed at? , i think thats the job of the Microsoft Marketing department.

PlayaFlow wrote:
    whta are u, some sort of personal but-kisser for Kdjac?

No I'm someone who's sick of people like yourself who use internet forums to take the character of people who they don't know and are unlikely to ever meet?. Why would you do it, unless you have feelings of inadequacy yourself?

Lol someone who loves their toy too much and hates when its classed a toy.

Some growns up do play games as GTA series shows its an 18 game only played and bought by people over 18 it sold 18 million copies. But how come Pokemon has sold more? I mean if consoles are for grown ups why would a 3+ game outsell the best 18 rating game out there. OMG!!!!! its a kids game!!!!!

See heres the funny twisted logic, most people get consoles of Santa when they are kids (obviously not in your case, there is no santa btw its your ma and da) Then they grow up and buy one from there pocket money (C64 in my case) and then think that the same toy with the same idea is now aimed at them cos MSft and Sonys PR told them so. But in reality when they have kids they will also buy them a console of some sort and so the circle starts again.

Mad isnt it :v:

kdjac

• Advertisement

ok lets not get off course here . As oyu said yourself consoles WERE designed for children , but not anymore.
    I just didint agree with kdjac as he sated his opinion as it was fact.
    a bad move by microsoft as if he knows better than hired professionals.

his post: rubbish opinion passed of as fact in order to sound intellectual.

my post : offensive ok ill admit , but i stated fact , therfore im right!

i dont mean to take character out of nobody , but this post was just crap tbh. especially for a mod.

Advertisement