Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comedy

Options
  • 07-11-2005 3:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭

Has anyone seen Comedy, the ten minute anime from Studio 4C?

Besides being a truely beautiful piece of work, it's the only anime from recollection that is set in Ireland and has mention of Ireland in anyway (I'm not fantastic at history, but we're talking about 16th/17th century here). Needless to say, that spruced my attention. :)

Since it's a very short anime, there's no real need to explain more. Check it out, you won't be dissapointed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

I am becoming more interested in Studio 4Cs work. They are a very unique studio. I absolutely loved the visual style of Mahou SHoujo Tai Alice.

Peer counts on Comedy are a bit weak, but its small.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Comedy was pretty great. I loved its' presentation, its' washed-out style giving the impression of both a memory and a story-book fantasy. The choice of music was great, lending an ethereal quality to the piece.

However, when it was revealed it was set in Ireland it was enough to throw me(:eek: ).

I actually stopped and replayed the Ireland bit a few times just to make sure I was reading it right. Then I paused and replayed a few more times just to listen out for the word. Up until then, the whole thing had a kind of Bavarian feel to it for me, what with the suits of armour, the 'Black Forest', allusions to book-burnings in the past and so on. I puzzeled :confused: over when it was set(Ireland gained its' independence, so 1921 then?), the choice of music(didn't click with me that Ave Maria might be associated with Ireland in some peoples minds) and so forth.
    Despite any of the above, at least those evil English with their one red eye each got theirs in the end.
    :p

Seriously, it is a very good, short anime that everybody should try and see - the pluses far outweigh the negatives. It was great to see Ireland mentioned (the only other anime references to Ireland I can remember are the flags around a building in 'New Dominion Tank Police', mention of an Irish noble in 'Trinity Blood' and also a crate saying 'Irish Beef' in Excel Saga) and also to have such a cool anti-hero attributed to and likely still lurking somewhere in Ireland.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I loved this :)

I'd never seen an anime actually set in Ireland (until Comedy), though Ireland and the Irish feature occasionally (only in mecha series to my recollection), in the original Gundam series the White Base makes a stopover in Belfast for repairs and in Fafner in the Azure one of the lead pilots is a red-haired(natually) weirdo from Dublin.

Advertisement