Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Polo 98 Saloon. Driver side door lock problem.

Options
  • 07-11-2005 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

I was wondering if anyone would have any diagrams, mechanical schematics or assembly instructions for a 98 VW Polo Saloon Driver side door lock?

T'was working grand yesterday. Then I put my key in last night and the lock kinda felt loose. I turned the key and it didn't open the car. It just turned and turned (in a full circle).

It's like it's loose or something.

I removed the drivers side door panel last night and hope to have a go at fixing the lock tonite.

Has anyone had any previous experience with this type of repair?

I'll try to get some photos tonight and post them tommorrow.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Its a common problem which I have fixed a few times, the bar that goes from the door handle to the inner lock comes adrift and falls to the bottom of the door. Its due to corrosion. You can fix it if you mess around with it, you'll need a drill and a self tapping screw. Its not a big deal if you like messing with cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

junkyard wrote:
    Its a common problem which I have fixed a few times, the bar that goes from the door handle to the inner lock comes adrift and falls to the bottom of the door. Its due to corrosion. You can fix it if you mess around with it, you'll need a drill and a self tapping screw. Its not a big deal if you like messing with cars.

What's a self tapping screw?

Slydice wrote:
    What's a self tapping screw?

Found an article about self tapping screws here:
    http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/to;ID;,Fasteners,Screws.Bolts,Self.Tapping.Screws

00000064.jpg

I guess I'll figure out what ya mean later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

It looks like you need help alright... mechanically speaking anyway:) go to a garage or panel beater that you know and they will fix or replace it for you. Hope this helps.

junkyard wrote:
    It looks like you need help alright... mechanically speaking anyway:) go to a garage or panel beater that you know and they will fix or replace it for you. Hope this helps.

I'd rather give it a go myself. I fixed a couple of small things with one of the air vents recently and I also put in a new radio. So I'm starting to like working on the car.

Just in case though, can you recommend any place close to the city centre Dublin 7 for this? (Economical prices would be good)

• Advertisement

Right, I Got the Handle out and had a look at what I had. Some bits were loose and so I ended up looking at all this:
    handle_and_parts.jpg

After looking at the passenger door, I found that the mechanism was to be assembled like so:
    handle_with_rings_and_spring.jpg

The most difficult part was figuring where to put the spring inside the rings when they were seperate like this:
    rings_and_springs.jpg

I connected her back up and she seems to work grand on the inside. This bar turns when the door is locked or unlocked:
    bar.JPG

The problem is the key still turns full circle in the lock and doesn't open the door. It's not catching. This makes me

think that the barrel is the problem. The barrel in here:
    handle.jpg

I didn't get pictures of the lock or barrel but here's how i think it should work:
    the green bit or the lock here:
    locktop_1.jpg

should rest on the blue bit on the barrel here:
    barreltop_1.jpg

I think it just gets stuck there and doesn't get released when the key turns. Because of that, the lock and the barrel just

keep turning with the key.

So I hope to lather it with some bicycle chain oil (all I have at the moment, might get WD40) to lubricate the parts and

hopefully it'll work again.

Anyone have any thoughts?

also, does anyone have any idea what this piece is supposed to do:
    bit_unknown.jpg
    I found it lying to a side inside the door panel.

Advertisement