Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Organic Fruit and Veg. where?

• 07-11-2005 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

Do any of you know where in Dublin you can buy orgainic fruit and veg?

Can you buy it wholesale anywhere?

The stuff Ive seen is either really pricey or not too fresh looking, or both!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Temble bar market, Saturdays. (a bit pricey)

M&S have a good range at a reasonable price, Tesco are also improving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

The Farmers Market in Leopardstown Race Course on Friday mornings.

Cal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

there are farmers markets in lots of places on the southside near me with organic fruit n veg - dun laoghaire,monkstown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

Cal wrote:
    The Farmers Market in Leopardstown Race Course on Friday mornings.

Cal.

Really?!

Forgive my ignorance but are these like real farmers selling their wares direct?

Have you bought there? Whats the quality, selection and pricing like?

My wife says the selection is Tesco is pretty bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Maccattack wrote:
    Really?!

Forgive my ignorance but are these like real farmers selling their wares direct?

Have you bought there? Whats the quality, selection and pricing like?

It apparently is direct from the farm. Quality is very good. But Organic produce rarely produces the uniform sized vegetables produced by non organic methods.

It is dearer that your supermarket but that seems the norm for organic produce.

Cal.

• Advertisement

Thanks Cal

I didnt think anyone would worry to much about uniformity do you?

Kinda scarey when you put it like that. How do they make them uniform??? Mutation!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

You might want to make enquires around you area and see if anyone does the delivery service. This is where every week or fortnight you get a box of seasonal organic veg from a local supplier.

My mum is going to sign up for one in our area (Rathgar)

You might want to make enquires around you area and see if anyone does the delivery service. This is where every week or fortnight you get a box of seasonal organic veg from a local supplier.

My mum is going to sign up for one in our area (Rathgar)

you dont happen to know the name of the company that does it do you?

are there many of them around?

I'll check for you. I think it's independent people who do it but I'm not sure.

But it's a good way to get different fruit and veg as you often get things like curly kale that you might not think of buying in the supermarket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I was in the market in monkstown, in some hall beside goggins pub. It was very expensive, jar of honey for €5, loaves of bread for €5. I was thinking to myself I should go to tescos and get a bags of cheapo veg, get a sack of peat moss and sprinkle it on them and charge €10 per kilo.
    It would be cheaper to go to a decent resturaunt to eat than there.

• Advertisement

Okay a quick google got me this list of suppliers from Sustainable Ireland: http://www.sustainable.ie/directory/subcategory.php?id=7

Maybe check them out.

Or this link from the Irish Organic Farmers' and Growers' Association: http://www.irishorganic.ie/consumer/boxdel.htm

Hope these help a little.

Thanks! I'll check em out! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

There's an indoor market in Pearse street near to the wee shop on the corner beside the new apartment development on Saturday mornings. A bit cheaper than Temple Bar.

Or you can get hampers delivered (29 euro, I believe) once a week from www.absolutelyorganic.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

Absolutely Organic deliver a range of boxes of fruit and veg as well as some other organic products (bread, jams, juices etc.). Prices vary but I've found them to be about the same overall as buying organic in the supermarket. Very handy to have stuff delivered and as you get a different selection each week (you can specify if you particularly don't want to get something but in general you take what's available that week) I've ended up trying a few different vegetables I'd normally never have bothered with. They include a leaflet every week which usually has a recipe or two on it based around the veg that have been delivered that week.

Re markets there's one in Marley Park on Saturday mornings and Ranelagh on Sunday mornings - usually a good selection although far less in winter as so much of the produce is Irish. Was in Marley Park last week and they had loads of really nice stuff.

For organic herbs and that I find Listons on Camden Street good.

There are also two organic butchers in Terenure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

there is an organic market in terenure too during the week in the car park of quinlans pub. they seem to have a good selection too.
    i cant remember what day, but next time im passing il check and post it here.

Advertisement