Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need feedback on design

Options
  • 07-11-2005 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm hoping you can give me some feedback on my new site from a design point of view, http://www.prohost.ie - also any advice on advertising and marketing the site? I heard the Golden Pages are no use for hosting sites.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Another reseller, good luck :) !

Site looks OK (well it looks good, but is like A.N. Other web host template). Watch out for your compliance with EU Directive compliance (distance e-commerce). Maybe rethink your prices (or consider some value-add services). Good luck in your search for customers!

.cg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

down the bottom of your page under the advert:-
    -- END ADVERTISEIRELAND.COM CODE -->

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭denhamd2

At the moment I'm working on setting up credit card processing on it. Do you think its detrimental to the site that it currently only offers payment by cheque and postal order?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

my bad.. wrong search

ok no probs

• Advertisement

denhamd2 wrote:
    At the moment I'm working on setting up credit card processing on it. Do you think its detrimental to the site that it currently only offers payment by cheque and postal order?

Personally, I would like to be able to pay online as I feel the transaction will be completed straight away and gives me peace of mind that the outfit is professional.

Yes I totally agree. I know myself when ordering I like to have peace of mind. Has anyone ever used WorldPay for their website? Thats what I'm looking to go with.

Going back towards the banner ad - I don't like the flashy ones - maybe consider Google's AdSense.
    Also, looking at the cource code you have the error I mentioned above but you also have one at the start of that block (see the red)...
    <!-- BEGIN ADVERTISEIRELAND.COM CODE [COLOR="Red"]--[/COLOR]<div align="center">
    <table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"> 
    </table>
    </div>[COLOR="Red"]--[/COLOR] END ADVERTISEIRELAND.COM CODE -->

Maybe have a look at the HTML valuidation also [http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A//www.prohost.ie/]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I've got a wee bit of a pet peeve about jpeg artifacts around text... I'd splash out a bit more than 22kb on /top_banner.jpg to see if I could reduce that effect.

I don't think it's professional looking for a commercial site, trying to sell something, shows ads at all.. but that may be just me. I wouldn't recommend Google AdSense though, as it will most likely show ads for your many cheaper competitors selling out of reseller plans in the US/CA.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the feedback, I'll be looking to impliment those points.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

denhamd2 wrote:
    Considering An Post are about to go on strike and we've all been told not to post letters .........

blacknight wrote:
    Considering An Post are about to go on strike and we've all been told not to post letters .........

I don't think the strike will actually affect the postal delivery times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

kbannon wrote:
    I don't think the strike will actually affect the postal delivery times :D
    Probably not - no :)

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

I reckon the site looks good. Perhaps just like A.N. Other as posted previously, but I like your prices. I was just quoted €199 ex-vat for something very similar to your €44.95 package.

Are you live yet?

Yes we are indeed. You are guaranteed good value with that package, because I myself was sick of paying over the odds for hosting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

top_banner.jpg

Try to sharpen the text on that banner under your logo.

Overall the design is fine - but it's very "generic hosting company template". Other Irish hosting providers have a more custom design for their sites:

http://www.myhost.ie/
    http://www.hosting365.ie/

Then again other hosters have generic looking sites too, such as http://www.fastprovider.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

The problems with using content based advertising: see here (you might have to scroll down a bit).

Lol - but is the price on ProHost including vat ?

Lol - but is the price on ProHost including vat ?
    ...and if so, display your VAT number!

At the bottom of the hosting plan pages where you list the features - can you elaborate on "and much, much more...".

Below that you have "Secure Online Order, Get Started!!" - but it is neither secure (no https or cert or whatever) and it brings you to an offline payment method (already discussed).

• Advertisement

Hadn't noticed the Advertise Ireland banner, thought I had actually commented it out because it wasn't showing up on Opera or IE, removed it now. I will put in my VAT number. The priaces aren't vat-inclusive but this seems to be standard practice for most Irish web hosting websites. I've jumped the gun a little on the Secure Order text, it will be in a couple of weeks once I have the CC processing set up. Thanks for the feedback guys, I have lots to go on to improve the site.

denhamd2, you're in violation of several portions of EU directives on distance selling. Things like displaying VAT number, display company registration details, displaying contact mechanisms, and the list does go on a bit. You're also required to say whether or not prices include VAT, etc. Read up on the directives (www.entemp.ie has some info) or, better still, get some professional advice on the matter.

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Do you really have a "team of team of dedicated, highly-qualified technical and support staff"? :)

By the way, it seems that dutec.ie (in testimonials) is no longer hosted on your host... As such, they are probably not a particularly good testimonial.

As a matter of interest, do any of these small hosters and resellers make any money?

I know for a fact taht the guy that runs MyHost is making enough to keep it going, with some left over :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭kstanl

I know for a fact taht the guy that runs MyHost is making enough to keep it going, with some left over :)

Hahaha. Someone's been purchasing end-of-year company accounts down in D'Olier Street.

o_0

Advertisement