Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girlfriend wont let me get a bike

Options
  • 07-11-2005 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

As it says i have a dilmena, i have a great love for bikes, always have and was a greater fan and admirer of Joey Dunlop, highlight was seeing him at Skerries road races.

Anyway am 22 yrs old and have been driving now over 3 years and i was thinking about getting a bike, on mentioning this to the girlfriend i got a confirmed NO! way.

Considering she had two of her friends die from bike accidents i completing understand where she coming from. Its really hard not to want to get a bike as my Dad's Harley rocks.

Did anyone here ever have a problem with the other halfs opinions on getting a bike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Dump her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭freewing

short answer :
    grow yourself a set and tell your GF to do one chances are you ll get a bike anyway
    longer answer:
    I have never had the situation that you speak of but I know plenty of people with the same opinion of motorcycles ( death traps). I think a flat no to bikes is a bit strong unless you yourself are a bit undisipilned on the road and a bike would make you go from bad to worse . Cheers Eric ( biker for 11 years)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I prefer the gf to the bike, easier on the eye;) hey....

Really like the CBR's tho but all i wanted to get was NSR 125cc.

Awh well maybe someday... I can stare at the Harley, get my kicks from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

kluivert wrote:

She's probably a better ride too!!! :p

There's plenty of bikes out there, just like girlfriends!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

kluivert wrote:

Really like the CBR's tho but all i wanted to get was NSR 125cc.

Awh well maybe someday... I can stare at the Harley, get my kicks from that.

I know that one can do as much damage to themselves on a NSR or Aprilla RS125 as they can on a fireblade/R1 as they can on a GN125/AX100/Moped but if you were serious about getting a bike and trying to convince the GF to "allow" it, then would you not be better off suggesting a very ordinary learner legal bike/moped - till you get the feel for it like?

If you go out and say I want a RS125 that can do 150kmph as a first bike then I'd say the GF has some cause for concern.

On the otherhand if you approach it with balanced reasoning - "I was thinking of getting a bike for commuting - a CG125 - its nothing spectacular but it will get me to work through the traffic, I was thinking of getting lessons first" etc etc I would say that you would have a far better chance of "convincing" her.

L.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

Get yourself some PROPER training (NOT ISM) and gear and then surprise her. Life's too short to have regrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

see my other thread, OMG PEOPLE DIED ON BIEKS SO EVRYONE ON A BIEK WILL DIE

get proper gear, proper training and dont drive like a retard and stop being so whipped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Tell her she's "not your mother"... women like that.
    The lesson here is if you don't ask her in the first place, she can't say no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

In my experience some women can be extremely touchy/emotional about things that may have cost them friends - many many times more so than any guy I've ever met. I'd advise you to be a lot more subtle than turning up with a bike as you may we'll have a seriously upset girlfriend on your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I agree with the others - do some lessons to get used to a bike and see what it's really like to drive etc. You might decide it's not for you when you're actually driving one - as unlikely as this sounds I know somebody who got a bike after years of talking abt getting one and lasted abt 2 weeks before they realised they didn't like it... Also why are you ASKING your GF - is she paying for it!?!? If a guy told me to get rid of my bike i'd run him over on it!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭crazymonkey

Its a pity ur gf doesn't share your love of bikes, they can be great fun and means of transport if riden with care and respect, Oh and i have several nsr's they are just as dangerous as r1's or fireblades if not riden properly,

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

I'd almost say the NSR is more dangerous than larger sports bikes as they are so light, especially in windy conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Haket

My advise is show her the correct attitude to bikes, get proper gear and some decent training (poss a ROSPA cert). And then if she still has a problem. . . . . do it anyway.

I've had a few g/f's that have balked at the idea of bikes, usually that doesn't bother me cause after their first spin on the back, they're hooked. The key to a new pillion, is dont try and scare then ffs, show them a nice safe and fun ride, and they'll prob show the same to you when you get home . . . ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I can seriously understand where she's coming from.

Theres plenty of things in life that we cant have.

In regards to driver/rider training, i believe that is very important. I have taken the advanced driving course and started on the rallying now in Scotstown. Raod safety depends hughly on the drivers ability to control the car so take no chances with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

Kazujo wrote:
    I'd almost say the NSR is more dangerous than larger sports bikes as they are so light, especially in windy conditions.

Speaking of wind, I was on my way home the other day, coming to a r'about broke.. down to about 5mph.
    I was on the right hand side of the road. Gust of wind came, ended up on the left side.
    Didn't come off but the wind blew the bike and me. Since I was moving slowly, I turned to the left with the wind.
    I'd say if I was stopped I would have been on the ground.

Anyway... back on topic...

My GF wasn't a fan of me getting a bike, neither was my family, but I rang up my mother one day and said: "Could you bring me down to waterford tomorrow I'm buying a bike...Gave him a deposit and all".
    She couldn't really refuse else I'd lose my (imaginary) 200EUR deposit.
    :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

If I told my mum that I got a bike she'd be dead now. Ok, maybe not dead, but too worried to sleep at night. Ok, that's offtopic :)
    My exbfrd told me few months ago that he'd never speak to me anymore if I'd get a bike. So, I've got a bike and I'm not gonna to speak to him anymore :D

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Flankerb

I got the same a few years back. But we came to an agreement. She to had lost a few friends to bike accidents , but she understood that it was something I had to do aswell. So I started doin lesson in naas passed my test and started doin trackdays. I am not allowed get a roadbike which is fair enough because I would probably be killed by a cager on the road. Share an FZR600 racebike with a buddy and am going to buy a VTR SP2 next year. Compromise. But trackdays are so much fun I dont miss the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

Lost a girlfriend to bikes because I couldn't drive her to the shops...

Well I couldn't drive her places for about four months before I got the bike, the engine dropped out of the corsa into the road. hehe

Anyway, theres more women in the world than there are bikes...

Like echo said, you're a young lad. Far to young to be getting totally whipped. Get a bike now or in a couple of months there'll be a little rounder on the way and you'll have a whopper mortage and need to buy an Espace...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

saobh_ie wrote:
    r in a couple of months there'll be a little rounder on the way and you'll have a whopper mortage and need to buy an Espace...
    :shudder::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

I have that, though with my mam, I'm only 16 though. I don't want a ped to be mad, I want it for ease of getting to training and the like. What I'd like is a TZR, but I'd never get insured on it

• Advertisement
Advertisement