Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Civ game

Options
  • 07-11-2005 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭

Civ 4 is out, was playing it last night. It seems the most revolutionary of the Civ games, with a new interface (not just in 3D, but things are different) and a load of new systems in place .. how it stacks up to my fav game of all time Civ 2, time will tell. At the moment the game doesn't flow as well as Civ 2, which in my view had the best game interface ever.

So I thought it would be a good time for a little poll ..

Best Civilization Game 17 votes

Civ 1
    0% 0 votes
    Civ 2
    17% 3 votes
    Civ 3
    23% 4 votes
    Civ 4
    11% 2 votes
    The unoffical Civ "Call to Power" games (1 or 2)
    47% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Hmm.. think it's too soon to call it tbh. I'll go with Civ4, but I think you may be right about it not flowing quite as well as Civ2... I think that's a casuality of the 3D engine (which is otherwise a fantastic addition), things seem a little more clutterd on the map with more to do without actually compleating objectives, if you know what I mean (buildings and vilages to plunder on the map, when all you really need is a road.. that sort of thing).

Although that could be just nitpicking; there really isn't anything wrong with it and I'll probably get used to those visual changes soon enough. The improvements made to almost every area of the game are fantastic imho.

Yea, Civ4 it is. It just remains to be seen wheather or not it'll occupy as much of my waking life as the second one did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Civ 2 robbed me of ages 12-13...
    i want them back and am considering sueing mister miers unless i recieve them immediatly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Civ 1 may have looked shíte but it was a revolutionary game, and it ran beatifully on my ibm 386 :) and i've played all civs to date, and i personally dont think from 2 up are as attictive as civ 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Goodshape wrote:
    I think that's a casuality of the 3D engine (which is otherwise a fantastic addition), things seem a little more clutterd on the map with more to do without actually compleating objectives,

Yeah I am in two minds about the 3D engine ... on the one hand I suppose they had to go 3D as a selling point, but really I am not sure what it adds to the game (I have zoomed out to a specific level and I never zoom in further than that) and it seems to make the screen look very cluttered and hard to make out individual units. I have found myself a number of times looking at the unit icon in the bottom right just to figure out what type of unit I am actually controlling.

But like you said I probably just have to get used to it a bit more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Civ 1 all the way.

The pure magic of the game when no game had ever been made that compared to it is what makes it the best.

It was the first game I ever got addicted to. It was just so playable; when all the other games in those days were mere amusements Civ 1 was a life stealer. (Barring maybe Prince of Persia)

• Advertisement
Advertisement