Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eliminating Scent of Dog

Options
  • 07-11-2005 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭

Right here's the beef. I recently moved into a house that a dog has basically had the run of and especially the kitchen. The problem is that there are dog hairs everywhere and the smell has been embedded into some of the furniture leaving a not too pleasant doggy scent around certain areas of the house.

My question is what is the most effective way of removing the hairs and eradicating the odour?? I was thinking some sort of stem cleaner but would appreciate any sort of suggestions that may help.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

A good strong hoover like a Dyson should get rid of the hairs. To deep clean the couch etc you would have to check the care label on the couch if it has one. If unsure mabey patch test an area with a steam cleaner?
    There are companies out there that clean sofas and carpets etc but they are probably very expensive, you might be able to hire the machine out from the hardware shop or buy a smaller version. If you have a Dyson I think in Argos they have (or at least used to have) a dry cleaning powder that you sprinkled on and hoovered up. Gosh, I'm not much help really. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

there are odour elimination sprays that you can buy in pet shops which you use before shampooing with a normal shampoo - a spray that you spray on blot & leave to soak in & then just wash with a normal upholstery shampoo. Also miele & dyson both do hoovers specifically for pet hair but if the dog ain't yours they'd be rather expensive to buy just to use once - they are very good hoovers though - good luck:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

febrezze

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

if you can take the covers off the couch just throw them into the washing machine, that's what we do and i had 3 dogs, only 2 now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Lenore with "Febreeze Technology" is great stuff cos you can soak with it or put it in a steam cleaner...or pour it on neat in desperation.:D

THere's a particular conditioner from Supervalue that does great things too.

Stain remover sprays are great too (the Aldi one is the best, if you can find it), but patch test first, and PATCH TEST for all forms of Febreeze...I had an unhappy event with a carpet tile and Febreeze.

"Oust" is good too, particularly for things that fail the Febreeze patch test.

Dog hairs are a bitch...if you'll pardon the pun, but you MIGHT get further with a damp rough towel...(with a little of the above Lenore on it?)

Loads of cheap n cheerful plug in fresheners from Aldi too...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Ramon

The only sure way of eliminating the smell is a solution of biological detergent (i.e. Bio washing powder) or a propietary brand like "Urine Off" (you can get it online). Other detergents, particularly ones with ammonia only make things worse

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Febreeze is not really any better than any other air freshner the smell doesn't last. A healthier option and cheaper option for when you want to freshen up a room is a spray bottle of destilled water and add as many drops as you like of an essential oil or two of your choice. Although that's for a general air freshner not for directly onto soft furnishings.

Advertisement