Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Idiot Driver Photos!

Options
  • 07-11-2005 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭

Post all your photos here of drivers being idiots, e.g. stopping in yellow boxes, blocking junctions, parking in disabled parking spaces, running red lights, driving at night with no headlights on, etc etc

I'll get the ball rolling with a photo taken in Crumlin yesterday of a stupid woman driver blocking a yellow box...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

does this include videos of twits swerving in and out of traffic at heuston station? :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I work beside the Abbey St. entrance to the Jervis Centre. There is a yellow box junction where the luas lines cross Jervis St.
    Every day, I see people parking on the box junction, taking illegal left & right turns, coming out of the jervis centre and turning left, the wrong way down a 1 way street,...
    If I was to take pics of them all I would end up using all the boards.ie webspace!

If I was to take pics of the stupid pedestrians and cyclists Id never get time to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

I am not being sexist here, but of late, the amount of lady drivers i've flashed to try warn them to put on their lights at night is just gone stupid.

Main culprits are usually coming out of shopping centres. How the heck they don't cop it or me, flashing them I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

ciarsd wrote:
    I am not being sexist here, but of late, the amount of lady drivers i've flashed to try warn them to put on their lights at night is just gone stupid.

Main culprits are usually coming out of shopping centres. How the heck they don't cop it or me, flashing them I don't know.

Well the best was yesterday at Blanch shopping centre....bloke in a big jeep driving around with no lights on...everyone flashing and not a bother on him......was driving for about 5-10 mins till he hit lights...guy in front of me hopped oiut....went to window and told him to turn them on!! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

All the fault doesnt lie with the drivers. Although i do believe Irish drivers are some of the worst in the world.

The govt and RTA have to take a huge chunk of the blame. The roads in this country are rubbish. It is little wonder people take the action they sometimes do.

We pay huge taxes but I dont see much of it going into roads.

Have you ever driven to or from Cork or Limerick on a wet night. You are taking your life into your own hands. The fact that more people arent killed on Irish roads is a miracle and probably more to do with driver caution than Garda presence or government action.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Maccattack wrote:
    All the fault doesnt lie with the drivers. Although i do believe Irish drivers are some of the worst in the world.

The govt and RTA have to take a huge chunk of the blame. The roads in this country are rubbish. It is little wonder people take the action they sometimes do.

Have you ever driven to or from Cork or Limerick on a wet night. You are taking your life into your own hands. The fact that more people arent killed on Irish roads is a miracle and probably more to do with driver caution than Garda presence or government action.
    What the hell are you on about??!! What has the Government and the RTA got to do with arseholes stopping in yellow boxes??? Have you replied in the wrong thread or something?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭BME

Maccattack wrote:

u jokin?? what abour the new M1 from Dublin to Dundalk, that didnt just appear out of nowhere....

The govt & RTA do have a part to play as if there was any enforcement of simple laws then people would quickly learn!

you know what im taliking about.

Traffic jams are EVERYWHERE. YOu cant go anywhere without sitting in traffic for longer than neccessary.

Because of this people get impatient and do things like move into yellow boxes when they should wait for it to be totally clear.

You cant really blame them and dont tell me you NEVER do it. Everybody does at some point. sometimes you dont mean to. you think the traffic is moving then it stops just as you hit the yellow box.

If the government put some real money into traffic flow and improved the roads things wouldnt be anywhere near as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Just an aside, but is it OK to display the number plates of cars in such photos?

• Advertisement

@ dudara - I would imagine that its not OK!

Maccattack wrote:
    you know what im taliking about.

Traffic jams are EVERYWHERE. YOu cant go anywhere without sitting in traffic for longer than neccessary.

Because of this people get impatient and do things like move into yellow boxes when they should wait for it to be totally clear.

You cant really blame them and dont tell me you NEVER do it. Everybody does at some point. sometimes you dont mean to. you think the traffic is moving then it stops just as you hit the yellow box.

If the government put some real money into traffic flow and improved the roads things wouldnt be anywhere near as bad.
    There are traffic jams in every large city in the world, it's a fact of life, get used to it. There is nothing the Government can do short of banning cars from the streets.

In the photo I took the traffic was stopped well before the driver approached, she had a clear view of the yellow box but still drove into it.

dudara wrote:
    Just an aside, but is it OK to display the number plates of cars in such photos?
    I presume so, it's not like I am making any accusation about the driver. I am showing a picture of the driver breaking one of the rules of the road. I can't think of any reason why it would not be allowed. If anyone knows of one please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

dudara wrote:
    My first thought too. In this case, it's probably ok, since the car is clearly flouting the law by stopping on a hatched area, but in a different situation it could be taken as libel.

I'd advise anyone posting pics in this thread to delete the number plate from the pic, before posting.

kbannon wrote:
    The govt & RTA do have a part to play as if there was any enforcement of simple laws then people would quickly learn!

Yeah, and thats their normal response. Penalise the motorist rather than do something that actually reduces impatience.

Fining people is not the answer. all it does is create bigger traffic jams and tail backs.

we need better roads not just more roads.

Most city to city roads in Ireland are single lane. You get stuck behind a semi for half an hour without an overtaking lane. You see a break, you take it.

Its dangerous yes. But until the roads are improved people will continue to do it.

I do agree that laws should be enforced - especially that THE RIGHT LANE IS FOR OVERTAKING - but strict laws alone will not solve the problem. Alone they will increase it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

WizZard wrote:
    My first thought too. In this case, it's probably ok, since the car is clearly flouting the law by stopping on a hatched area, but in a different situation it could be taken as libel.

I'd say that becasue you can't prove from the photograph that the car is in a stationary position I'd say its inconclusive that the car is flouting the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Bluetonic wrote:
    I'd say that becasue you can't prove from the photograph that the car is in a stationary position I'd say its inconclusive that the car is flouting the law.

Also, if the driver had just make a right turn onto the road from a driveway on the other side, would he/she not be entitled to be in the box?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

eoin_s wrote:
    Also, if the driver had just make a right turn onto the road from a driveway on the other side, would he/she not be entitled to be in the box?

No...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Doesn't matter a hoot when it comes to libel. there are several tests to a libel action.

One of these would be that the statement uttered would be likely to lower the opinion of the person in the eyes of a right thinking member of society.

Whether a right thinking member of society would give a flying feck about whether the woman is a bad driver is debatable and unlikely to be upheld.

The utterance that she is stupid is not a statment but merely an insult and thus doesn't fall under defamation law.

Now is this the law forum or can we get back on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

pointless thread IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Keyzer wrote:
    No...

Yes...provided the driver was not blocking the right of way of any other road user.

pointless thread IMO
    Pointless response IMO!

If you have no interest then just skip to the next thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

When posting pictures, first make sure they are actualy breaking the law and second blank the reg number. Think of Devs children! :) Anyone who just posts pix for fun will be banned.

Mike.

bp_me wrote:
    Yes...provided the driver was not blocking the right of way of any other road user.

I don't think that s correct - From memory, you must not stop on a box junction at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

kbannon wrote:
    I don't think that s correct - From memory, you must not stop on a box junction at all!

It's definately ok to stop when turning right provided you are not blocking the right of way of another road user.....I may be wrong about turning into it, but I'm not 100% sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

kbannon wrote:

Is the point of a box junction not to allow people out at junctions

bp_me wrote:
    It's definately ok to stop when turning right provided you are not blocking the right of way of another road user.....I may be wrong about turning into it, but I'm not 100% sure.
    OK - my bad - from http://www.nsc.ie/Kidsroom/Bsafe/RoadMarkings/
    Do not enter the box unless your exit road or lane is clear, except to turn right.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭AnnaStezia

A lot of responsibility rests on the roads engineers who are responsible for the layouts. Some road junctions - especially in suburbia - are woefully designed and it is no wonder that people end up in the wrong places on the road at the wrong time. I think that some of these layouts - signage and signals included - are fine examples of " engineered in " defects.

As far as I now you are permitted to enter and remain stationary on a box junction if you are turning right. Mind you I better get this clear as I think that we will get penalty points in the future when that system is fully implemented.

Incidentally, why the hell do we have to buy copies of the Rules of the Road in this country. Driving standards are so low they should be distributed free to every household along with the next batch of iodine tablets (mine are now out of date !).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

kbannon wrote:
    AFAIK , you can only stop in a box junction when preparing to turn right ..

HOw to use a box ...Here : http://www.2pass.co.uk/boxjunction.htm

Should this thread not just be part of what I saw today , subsection "Stupid"

• Advertisement

sharkman wrote:
    AFAIK , you can only stop in a box junction when preparing to turn right ..

HOw to use a box ...Here : http://www.2pass.co.uk/boxjunction.htm

Should this thread not just be part of what I saw today , subsection "Stupid"
    did you by any chance read my post just up above a small bit?

Advertisement