Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greeting other runners

• 07-11-2005 4:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭

.....so you are out for a run, and another runner runs past you going in the opposite direction. Do you say hello, pass some other remark or greeting, nod or do you just ignore them and keep on running?

Similarly if you are running and someone either overtakes you, or you overtake someone else, do you acknowledge them or just keep on running?

For my 2 cents, I always at a minimum nod (If knackered!), but will usually say "hi" to any runner that I meet while out on the roads.

What is the correct and consensus behaviour?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I personally look at such encounters as an opportunity to practice my jousting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Rugby tackle, at the very least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭Pines

"What is the correct and consensus behaviour?"

I think the correct behaviour is probably a nod/grunt/hi.

The consensus, though, is to look straight ahead and ignore the other person. I was over in Seattle a month or two back and nearly everyone gave some sort of greeting as they ran in the other direction, but it seems to me to be rare here.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i'd say practically everyone I pass gives at least a nod, usually it is 'joggers' who don't acknowledge you at all. most people who have been running a long time always give a nod..

similar to cycling, if you have your gear on out for a spin other people on road bikes will nod and wave, if you look like you are going to work they won't..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭FlyOver

It depends on the oncomer. I can usually tell if a hi or a nod is required, especially if it's a hottie. If eye contact is made from a distance there's more than likely a nod and hi.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Fitgrrrl

Interesting question... my experience is women are less friendly to women; men are more friendly. Phoenix Park runners are friendlier than southsiders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

I usually acknowledge with a smile or a nod... sometimes they respond, sometimes they don't.. depends on the person and their current mood at the time, I guess...

Advertisement