Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confirmed Liverpool F.C is the best football team in the world

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

HAHA Yeah right!!

What an absolute load of rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Just goes to prove how much of a joke those ranking systems are... assuming this isn't a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

tel922001 wrote:
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N150508051107-1512.htm

united are in 5th which isnt bad

arsenal are in 8th not to bad either

but where is chelsea in 12th wat a pity

Is it April fools or something????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Hmmm, I'm sure it's from a reputable source Chelsea should definitely be further up the list - CL semi finals and PL winners (not to mention the carling cup!) beats CL winners and PL 5th for my money.

I'd love to see the weighting on matches from different tournaments, and whether liverpool playing an extra 6 European qualifiers against the likes of TNS Solutions helped our score?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Has anybody ever heard of "The International Federation of Football History and Statistics" before?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

we all know liverpool are the greatest team in the world go on the super reds

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Liverpool OK (at a stretch), but what have Inter ever done to get second?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Liverpool aren't even in the top 3 best teams in England ffs!

Good joke though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭tel922001

its true not a wind up, it goes on the players aswell, national call ups etc , players who get voted for player of the year , world player of the year , etc etc, i feel alot of sour grapes has been eatin

tel922001 wrote:
    its true not a wind up, it goes on the players aswell, national call ups etc , players who get voted for player of the year , world player of the year , etc etc, i feel alot of sour grapes has been eatin
    i also forgot to mention , it goes on history aswell, which liverpool are still the most honoured team in england , chelsea only won the league last yr , nothin for 50 yrs before that,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

How can a team like Villarreal be ranked 10th when they finish 3rd in the league and were not even in the Champions League, where as Barcelona are ranked 28th after winning La Liga and making it to the knock out stages of the CL?

The World Club Ranking is a precise classification showing the real level of the clubs free of any subjective influence. It is the result of a profound analysis that allows us to fairly report the level of international performance for each country.

I doubt it.

tel922001 wrote:
    i also forgot to mention , it goes on history aswell, which liverpool are still the most honoured team in england , chelsea only won the league last yr , nothin for 50 yrs before that,

Its complete nonsense mate! Don't kid yourself!

tel922001 wrote:

It says it goes on the last 12 months of football.
    The World Club Ranking was started monthly since January 1st, 1991 and the information is globally distributed early in the following month. This ranking takes into consideration the results of twelve months of continental and intercontinental competitions, national league matches (including play-offs) and the national cup.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Its complete nonsense mate! Don't kid yourself!
    who shelbourne? follow a proper team , im just passing on info

How can what a team did 50 years ago or even 5 years ago have any reflection whatsoever on the current team? Do they really expect anybody to take that list seriously

Auxerre, Shaktar, Newcastle and Celtic ahead of Barcelona/Real!

Who even wastes their time doing this stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I'm amazed that "SC The International I carry Cheers" aren't higher then 20th, as for "Officers' Club of Revolutionary Armed Forces Rabat", I don't think the stats do justice :rolleyes:

tel922001 wrote:

[edit] - I'm not even gonna risk a ban on this. Troll tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The formula used to determine these rankings is a complicated one

Lol, it would have to be!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

tel922001 wrote:

Care to explain these comments??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Who are these guys?:confused:
    46. It binds Sport College student of Quito (Ecuador) 160,0

i just posted a list which was on the liverpool website , if people dont like it dont read it or comment on it

tel922001 wrote:
    i just posted a list which was on the liverpool website , if people dont like it dont read it or comment on it

I know what you posted, thats not what i asked. Explain the Shelbourne comments.

tel922001 wrote:

So if we disagree with it we are not allowed voice our opinions?

talla wrote:
    I know what you posted, thats not what i asked. Explain the Shelbourne comments.
    i personally dont think shelbourne are a good football time , everyone has a right to that opinion , dont they?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Arf nice one mate :D

tel922001 wrote:
    i personally dont think shelbourne are a good football time , everyone has a right to that opinion , dont they?
    What has that got to do with what you originally posted.
    But MrJoeSoap doesnt have a right to his opinion in your eyes?

And what has that got to do with what you originally posted?

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Liverpool aren't even in the top 3 best teams in England ffs!

Good joke though.
    i think thats one,

I'm more inclided to believe that you saw the shelbourne crest in his signature and thought you'd get a cheap dig in. If you have any sense , you will edit the post.

• Advertisement

tel922001 wrote:
    i think thats one,

Do you? Where did they finish in the league last year and what position are they in now.

if it doesnt make u happy , take the whole post off, its perfectly ok for people to comment of liverpools status in the league , but its wrong for me to comment on another? i personally dont think i said anything wrong , or is it just that u follow shels aswell?

Your post was flame bait, you said he doesnt support a real team so how is that the same as commenting on league position?

Tel do you not think the list you posted is a bit inaccurate?

Do you really feel Shaktar Donetsk or Auxerre are better sides than Real Madrid and Barcelona?

Shelbourne are a "proper team" by the way, they have replica jerseys and all!

Why does everyone put so much value on 'the league' when it comes to rating a team?

Its clear Liverpool don't have a clue what they are doing when it comes to the EPL but in Europe under Benetiz they are a genunie force to be reckoned with (not a fluky team as a lot of people seem to think). Personally I'd rather with the CL every year and to hell with the PL.

To draw a parallel, If Brazil won the WorldCup every 4 years yet only scraped thru qual groups and lost every one of their friendlies would they not still be the best team in the world?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I'm surprised its referenced on the official Liverpool website. There are flaws with this ranking system. For one, it doesnt seem to balance for the effect of a team playing more games in a recognised competition. So, it would seem that for each win Liverpool got in the CL this year, they got 4 pts. Thats why they were the "global team of the month for July 2005". Teams that play more games do better in this ranking system than teams that dont. That cant be an equitable system. This site has equated the Paraguayan league on a par with the Dutch league, now that cant be right, as good and all as Ascuncion might be.

Liverpool obviously get a lot of points for winning the CL, but overall this type of ranking system is flawed. UEFA already do a ranking system for the European teams and although that is more valid, it also has flaws of its own, giving a lot of points to teams that do well in the Uefa cup.

redspider

• Advertisement

tel922001 wrote:
    if it doesnt make u happy , take the whole post off, its perfectly ok for people to comment of liverpools status in the league , but its wrong for me to comment on another? i personally dont think i said anything wrong , or is it just that u follow shels aswell?

I wouldn't go as far as saying it made me happy but it certainly gave me a good laugh.

Thanks for that

1. Who i follow has no relevance on whether you throw a sly insult at someone. (just for the record, i've no intrest in the Eircom League).
    2. I've given you every chance to explain yourself.
    3. I've given you the chance to edit your post.
    Banned for a week

Pigman II wrote:
    Why does everyone put so much value on 'the league' when it comes to rating a team?

The league is the best guage because it is judged over a longer period with more games and there for is more likely to be an accurate reflection of form. I dont think even the most ardent pool fan believes their current team is the best in the world. Last season they wern't even the best in Liverpool.

The Muppet wrote:
    The league is the best guage because it is judged over a longer period with more games and there for is more likely to be an accurate reflection of form. I dont think even the most ardent pool fan believes their current team is the best in the world. Last season they wern't even the best in Liverpool.

Yes but all you've learnt in that case is that Chelsea or Arsenal (or whomever) are better at beating a bunch of subpar teams over a long duration. It's the equivilant of Ireland qualifying for WC94 because we were able to rack up more points against the minnows in the group than Denmark did. It didn't imho mean for an instant imho that we were a better team than the Danes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I can't believe :v: Tel got banned for a whole week.

By then Liverpool could have dropped 8 places in this table.....

Nice one Terry, it was good for a laugh, but we all know Cork City are the best team in the world..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

p.pete wrote:
    I'm amazed that "SC The International I carry Cheers" aren't higher then 20th

me too :-) [what a name!] (just like It Binds)
    p.pete wrote:
    as for "Officers' Club of Revolutionary Armed Forces Rabat", I don't think the stats do justice

agreed, the teams from the Moroccon league dont get a fair crack of the whip.

Thanks for the laugh!

redspider

ps: for more laughs, the full list of 350 teams is at the website iffhs.de

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

The Muppet wrote:

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.iffhs.de/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Diffhs%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D

Incredible, an unknown team called ROME have been top of the rankings 11 times!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

That is class, sure it is great to have a bit of a laurff on a Monday evening!

I see that on that IFFHS World Club Ranking site that they have been "found ded", they must be dead to have come up with stats like that ;) But hey who is to argue with them, they must know what they are on about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I haven't read this thread but can't believe there's 3 pages on the IFFHS rankings. :eek: :eek: :eek:

eirebhoy wrote:
    I haven't read this thread but can't believe there's 3 pages on the IFFHS rankings. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Mostly just taking the p1ss in fairness!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

In the all time list of clubs who have topped this list man u are ahead of Liverpool!!!

Thats definative proof that they are doing something wronghttp://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.iffhs.de/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Diffhs%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D in their calculations, even the Muppet who is forever lambasting the Pool would agree that as far as history goes Liverpool Football Club are more succesfull than ManU
    1. Milan AC Italia 37
    2. FC Barcelona España 16
    Juventus FC Torino Italia 16
    Real Madrid CF España 16
    Manchester United FC England 16
    6. Rome Italia 11
    Liverpool FC England 11

Now thats just wrong,

Medi

In the all time list of clubs who have topped this list man u are ahead of Liverpool!!!

The rankings just go back to 1991. I'd imagine those scores (eg Milan 37) are monthly winners (or something similar to that). As such I think it's fair to say over the period 1991-2005 ManU have been more successful than Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

It says on the website that its done monthly and if you read how it works then you can probably skip this bit :)

It gives each continents leagues different points amount (ie Europe gets 14 per continental comp win while Asia comps get 12 and so forth).
    Each division in each league gets points donwardly scaled (ie premiership gets 2 for a draw and championship gets 1.5).
    European competition gives a lot more points than domestic per w/d/l.... a lot more.
    Only the main recognised national cup competition is used (eg FA Cup). You get points for every game played (win/draw. none for loss) but a penalty shootout is counted as a draw.

Basically a good run in Europe is going to get you a lot of points. With liverpools winning of the Cl last year and their great start to the european campaign this year means that they've played a lot of european footie and done well in it = near to maximum points from the area that gives the most.
    Its not surprising that they are top with this system.

Well that just goes to show how flawed this system actually is!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement