Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Crystal Leisure Centre and Ard-Ri re-development thread

Options
  • 07-11-2005 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Im looking for 3 months Leisure centre membership, but Im having no luck with the Ard Ri or the Tower etc.

Im gonna try and get across town to the Waterford Crystal gym and pool, can anyone tell me what its like? Is the equipment good, do the staff do programs etc..

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Trotter wrote:
    Im looking for 3 months Leisure centre membership, but Im having no luck with the Ard Ri or the Tower etc.

Im gonna try and get across town to the Waterford Crystal gym and pool, can anyone tell me what its like? Is the equipment good, do the staff do programs etc..

Thanks!

Wouldint bother with the Ard Ri, its going to be closed down for a year after the 22nd of December

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Only right too.. the place is run down

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

angry_fox wrote:
    Wouldint bother with the Ard Ri, its going to be closed down for a year after the 22nd of December

the whole place or just the gym?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

I'd say just the gym, the most of it is in fairly good condiditon

Cabaal wrote:
    the whole place or just the gym?

Whole place will be closed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

They have a good gym with good staff , like all gyms its busy at peak times but if you go off peak it can be fairly quiet , its pay as you go so if you dont like it you're not at a loss .

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

angry_fox wrote:
    Whole place will be closed

As far as I know the Gym will remain open for as long as they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

Yeah the Waterford Crystal gym is pay as you go. The lads there are fairly helpful but avoid late afternoon as some students decide to go there and it fills up pretty quickly. Nothing against them it just seems that they come along after their classes.

Leonard wrote:
    As far as I know the Gym will remain open for as long as they can.

Whole of the ard ri is going to be closed on the 22nd of December, €20 million is going to be invested into the hotel, staff have also not been guaranteed there jobs next year but they are welcome to re-apply for a position next year.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Yeah, I just got this confirmed this evening. I was talking with someone who is in charge of a membership scheme for the leisure centerand he was only informed of this this morning. I also heard today of a couple who had their weeding booked there for next summer and were only told yesterday also. The sickening thing about this was that the couple only gave them their second deposit in the last fornight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

angry_fox wrote:
    Whole of the ard ri is going to be closed on the 22nd of December, €20 million is going to be invested into the hotel, staff have also not been guaranteed there jobs next year but they are welcome to re-apply for a position next year.

Oh how nice of them, nice way of getting rid of staff they have to pay high wages too

When one of the Mcniff brothers came to tell the staff the news he had a "minder" with him

Trotter the best place to go would the be Waterford Crystal Gym and pool, place aint to bad and the equipement is good, can get a bit packed sometimes.
    Do the Woodlands have a leisure center?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I believe that Jury's has closed it's doors (or will in the VERY near future) to make way for a new development which has been given the go ahead by The Planning Board having been initially appealed by our favourite politician, Brendan Macann.
    From Waterford News And Star:

A MASSIVE development at the Ard Ri Hotel, including its expansion and the provision of a nursing home and retirement village on-site, has received the final ‘thumbs up’ for planning permission, the Waterford News & Star can reveal.

The face of the city’s most prominent landmark hotel is set to change forever following the granting of permission by An Bord Pleanála to developers Viewforth Ltd. for their ambitious project.

The multi-million €uro development will see the current Ard Ri become a 160-bed four-star hotel and leisure centre.

However, a completely new departure will also see it surrounded on its commanding Ferrybank site by a threestorey nursing home and a four-block complex of retirement apartments, the occupants of which will share the hotel’s leisure facilities.

The proposal, uniquely, was the subject of two separate planning application given that part of the site is located within Waterford’s boundary and the other part within the boundary of Co. Kilkenny.

The applications to both local authorities were granted permission but appeals were lodged to An Bord Pleanála in both cases.

In Waterford, those who lodged were Pat and Sheila Hayes, neighbouring property owners, together with George and Antoinette Kavanagh — as well as city Green party member Brendan McCann.

However, An Bord Pleanála confirmed yesterday (Tuesday) they’ve issued a final grant of planning permission for both applications which now paves the way for the project to proceed.

They’ve imposed a number of conditions but overall they shouldn’t provide too many headaches for the developers. Two of the apartment blocks are to be reduced in height while a planned coach parking area is to be moved from one area to another to provide open space.

As part of the plans, parts of the existing hotel and leisure centre are to be demolished while what remains is to undergo extensive refurbishment.

In their application to Waterford City Council, submitted last December, Viewforth Ltd. had argued that the current Ard Ri hotel, which was built in the late 1960s, was “dated” and “tired” and greatly needed improvement

I think it's about time this place was redeveloped, however, as a worker in a close by 3 star hotel, my job could very well be in danger in the near future with an influx of people wishing to work in the hotel from Jury's and a fall in numbers staying in the hotel once the new development is complete!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Ah yes. Didn't think it would be discussed there of all places!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭south

angry_fox wrote:
    When one of the Mcniff brothers came to tell the staff the news he had a "minder" with him

Trotter the best place to go would the be Waterford Crystal Gym and pool, place aint to bad and the equipement is good, can get a bit packed sometimes.
    Do the Woodlands have a leisure center?

yes it does but i don't know much about it..

Advertisement