Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up Broadband on 2 pc's ??

• 07-11-2005 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭

Well one pc and a laptop.
    Just wondering how its done. At the moment i have 2 broadbands with ntl and UTV(the latter being switched off at the end of the month) Just wondering how i go about getting the broadband set up on the laptop ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Well do you want them to connect wireless? or with an ethernet cable? i suggest you buy a wireless router and then a wireless card for the lappy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

You can share it with ethernet cable and 2cards, then if you have winXp just follow the setup wisard. If you have fire walls make sure you turn it off or make sure both pc are "100% trusted".
    Nearly all problems when tryin to c some1 on a network are caused by firewalls..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

You have a bit of a problem.
    The NTL is a modem.
    It will not do routing.

Therefore use the USB connection off it.
    Then connect a crossover ethernet cable to the 2 PC's via your NIC connections. Run the windows wizard (as mentioned before) and set the PC with the USB as the gateway. That should work for you.

Otherwise get a router (wired or wireless) to connect between the PC's NIC's and the NTL modem.

Advertisement