Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT - fog lights

Options
  • 07-11-2005 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

Hi - would you be failed in the NCT for a faulty fog light ? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Mine werent checked but rumour is that if they are there, they must work.

(Or if there is a button on the dash, they must work... something like that)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Either turn them off, or take out the fuse for the day and say they're never used until you get them fixed

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

From the NCT manual:-
    Fog Light (under the Aux. Lights section Pg. 44)
    Auxilary Lamp Condition - Reasons For Failure:
    (1) Incorrectly positioned (see Page 45*).
    (2) Insecurely mounted.
    (3) Switch defective.
    (4) Not white or yellow.

Page 46:-
    Auxilary Lamp Alignment - Reasons For Failure:
    (1) The upper edge of the beam is above the 2% horizontal line.
    (2) The centre of the beam pattern does not lie between the
    0% and the 2% vertical lines.

* max height = 4' (1220mm) [surprised to see that it uses imperial measurements over metric!]

However, I have never seen them test fog lights and I have been at about 12 tests!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

My car was NCT'd recently and I knew both front fog bulbs were gone. I don't use them much (in summer) and I was convinced (still am) that they are not part of the test. The test took about 50 minutes, the inspector was extremely thorough - see sig

... no mention of fog lights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

thanks all. think I'll leave that fog light unfixed and see what happens. the cars probably gonna fail on something else anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bloke

Wish this thread had been around before I went to the trouble of removing both front fogs completely for my last car's NCT! doh... :rolleyes:

Advertisement