Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RGB Scart to 5-Component?

Options
  • 07-11-2005 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Is it possible to get a decent RGB scart to 5-Component cable? Do they exist? I'm thinking the VCR's Scart output to the screen, which has 5-component inputs (the best quality I can get), rather than using S-Video or VGA. What do you think? Would I be better off using VGA and saving the hassle? With either of the two configurations I would also need 2-phono to 2-phono for sound? I'm assuming the Scart to VGA cable wouldn't carry sound?

There's a lot to be said for getting a screen with a 3 RGB composite input. ;)

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I'm unclear what you're trying to connect to what!

If a VCR is involved then s-video is as good as you're going to do, and the cables are the least of your worries in terms of picture quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

pH wrote:
    I'm unclear what you're trying to connect to what!

If a VCR is involved then s-video is as good as you're going to do, and the cables are the least of your worries in terms of picture quality.

Well, I'm trying to connect a SCART device to a 5 component screen basically. The best output of any SCART device as far as I know, is RGB - ie. 3 component. Professional screens and projectors from outside Europe use 5 component inputs as opposed to 3, so what I'm looking for is a RGB SCART cable from a digibox to a 5 component screen. I don't know where to get such a cable, or if they exist even. I have seen RBG to 3-component, but never 5. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭ffocused

component only carries picture signals (red green and blue) I have never seen anything that uses 'five component' I just googled 5 component and i found component cables with 5 leads but 2 of them are audio.
    Just get the scart to 3 component cable you have seen and use a seperate audio cable, problem sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Kernel wrote:
    Well, I'm trying to connect a SCART device to a 5 component screen basically. The best output of any SCART device as far as I know, is RGB - ie. 3 component. Professional screens and projectors from outside Europe use 5 component inputs as opposed to 3, so what I'm looking for is a RGB SCART cable from a digibox to a 5 component screen. I don't know where to get such a cable, or if they exist even. I have seen RBG to 3-component, but never 5. :(

It could be a scart to RGBHV lead that you saw. This is the 3 RGB plugs with sync on horizontal & vertical like below

SBB44.GIF

Make sure your screen supports this. Mine doesn't so I connected by DVD player to my screen with and RGBs lead. RGB with sync.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

"Component" inputs on a screen are _generally_ one luminance signal together with two colour signals and is completely incompatible with SCART. VGA will give you extremely good quality at least as good as component if not better - if you have the option of that I would just use it. Providing more details of your equipment will result in more specific advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Firstly splitting the sync from the colour lead needs some form of conversion, as does going from RGB to component (Y, Cb, Cr)

This is all totaly dependent anyway on what device is providing the video source. SCART is just a connector format, *capable* of carrying composite, s-video and RGB. However whether each type is present is dependent on the equipment, for example 99% of VCRs won't give you RGB out on the SCART, s-video is the best you'll get.

The "5" component is as stated probably separate h-sync and v-sync, and to be honest if your panel accepts standard sync on green then use just the 3 normal connectors, any quality increase from using the separate syncs would be neglible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video

Advertisement