Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripwave - slower than dialup ?

• 07-11-2005 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

I picked up a ripwave thingy today & plugged it in, all went swimmingly & I got connected. But Dear God !!! Is it ever slow. It's slower than diall up as far as I can tell.

I'm in Donaghmede & it tells me the estimated distance from modem to bta is 2840 meters, I'm guessing either Donaghmede or Northside as I'm about an equal distance from both.

Is this as good as it gets ?

Is there anything I can download (small size) to tell me exactly what speed (comparative to dial up) I'm getting ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

You can test it by logging on to this site. http://www.irishisptest.com/ and go to the speed test area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Thanks for that VERYinterested.

These are my results:

Download: 41.9kbs
    Upload: Undetermined
    Quality Of Service: 11%
    Round Trip Time: 130ms
    Max Pause: 2828ms

I don't know much about this but I'm guessing that's bad right ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

iMax wrote:

These are my results:

Yes very bad.
    You could always if you feel a bit moddy, make up an aerial for the modem, i have heard of people using their old sat dishes to try and get a decent signal.
    Others have even put their modem in the attic and linked it to a wireless access point in the quest to get a better service.
    But IBB are seriously missleading customers with broadband in a box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Sounds like incrediblytinyband in a box.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Airblazer

iMax wrote:

These are my results:

that's ****in terrible..i had the same problem with my ripwave..rang them up and told them about the terrible ping times I was getting (1000+) and they tweaked it from their side..been running fine ever since..tested it on isp and got around 400kb/90kb so it's not too bad...still waiting on my 3mb metro line though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

I live in Ballinteer and I've experienced the same issue.

Bought Ripwave last week. Set it up and everything worked, except for the really really slow speed.

Brought it back to the shop and got a full refund.

Wouldn't recommend this product to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Ripwave - Broadband in a Box as compared to two tin cans and a length of string.

Terms and conditions apply, including the fact that we may never, ever, ever provide you with the service you've paid for, nor answer the phone for our support line.
    Please note that actually reading this text constitutes implicit acceptance of this contract and any ammendments we may wish to make in future.
    KThanxBye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭ecodub

I'm in the same boat with IBB, have been emailing support for 3 weeks now and no responce. I did manage to get their support after a few attempts. It was a waist of time, they tried to make out the problem was with my computer, incorrect settings etc. They eventually said that work was being done in my area (Dublin 9) and when thats complete I may be fine. That phone call was a week ago and I'm still experiencing slower that Dial-up speeds.

Heres my test results today

Download: 32.3kbs
    Upload: 37.2kps
    Quality Of Service: 30%
    Round Trip Time: 116ms
    Max Pause: 1484ms

:D Smart is now in my area, and as soon as I can get connected - :mad: Good bye IBB

just to give you an example of what that should be like with a 2mb broadband
    BT broadband plus 2mb
    Mine:

Download 1.71mb
    upload 70.6 kbps
    Quality of service 98%
    Roundtrip time 25ms
    max pause 16ms

And I am circa 3 miles from the exchange out in the middle of the country :)

No complaints here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

Don't bother with it if you can't ! get a green signal. it's just not going to work for you.
    Go to this site and download the diagnositcs app and check you signal streath
    http://www.navini.com/pages/support/userdownloads.htm

if you get an amber but can get green every now and again. you can remove the antenna and attach a better one. it was posted months ago some place on boards can't find it now but do a search. you may be able to buy a higher gain antenna then the 3dB on the is on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭arcane99

Dont be fooled, it aint just ripwave that sucks. All their products are filth.

Their network is just chaos.

What I suggest, keep using www.testmy.net everyday to keep a log of your connection speeds so you have something to throw back at them.

Just set up a free account and it will store your daily tests. http://testmy.net/personal_stats_30d.php?user_name=dhaughton99&m=12&d=14&Y=2005

These tests can run inconjuction with www.Irishisptest.com to verify each other.

With ripwave, it just saves the engineers the embarresment of showing the user below Dial up speeds.

Advertisement