Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TO - it was bound to happen..

Options
  • 08-11-2005 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

Eagles say Owens won't return this season
    PHILADELPHIA (Nov. 7, 2005) -- Terrell Owens won't return to the Philadelphia Eagles this season, coach Andy Reid said.

The outspoken star receiver was suspended for the Nov. 6 game at Washington, and will remain suspended for three more games. He won't be back after that.

"The league has been notified by the players' union that they will be grieving our right to take that action," Reid said, "therefore there is nothing more that I can say at this point."

Owens was suspended over the weekend following a tumultuous week in which he criticized the club, fought with a former teammate and took another verbal shot at quarterback Donovan McNabb.

"I do want it to be clear that this decision is a result of a large number of situations that accumulated over a long period of time," Reid said.

Owens "had been warned repeatedly about the consequences of his actions," Reid said. "We gave Terrell every opportunity to avoid this outcome."

Owens was suspended Nov. 5, two days after he said the Eagles showed "a lack of class" for not publicly recognizing his 100th career touchdown catch in a game Oct. 23. In the same interview with ESPN.com on Nov. 3, Owens said the Eagles would be better off with Green Bay's Brett Favre at quarterback.

Owens was involved in a fight last week with former Eagles defensive end Hugh Douglas, who remains with the team as its "ambassador."

McNabb, who feuded with Owens throughout the summer and has been a constant target of his criticism, finally took a stand in the matter, saying the Eagles might be "better off" without Owens.

"Obviously it is tough losing a guy of his caliber, his ability, but I think we might be better off," McNabb said after an interception sealed the loss to Washington. "I think what we did tonight, we showed that we played well together. I think we also showed that when given the opportunity, guys can make plays for us. We're 4-4. We're not 1-7. I think that's the way to look at it. For the guys in the locker room, we win together and we lose together."

Asked to elaborate on how the team could be better off without its top receiver, McNabb emphasized the remaining players are united with the same goal of winning.

"Nothing against him and his attitude. It's just that when you get out there on the field, it's about playing together," McNabb said. "I think we all played with a lot of attitude and a lot of adrenaline. Guys played well together. It was unfortunate that we didn't win this game, but I think it may be a steppingstone for us to move forward."

Rookie Reggie Brown filled in for Owens against Washington and caught five passes for 94 yards, including a 56-yard TD reception. But the Eagles offense continued to struggle and couldn't score the tying touchdown with three shots from the Redskins 7 in the final minutes.

The Eagles are 17-5 with Owens, including a 24-21 loss to New England in the Super Bowl. In that game, Owens had nine catches for 122 yards after defying his doctor's advice and playing 6½ weeks after ankle surgery.

They're 2-1 without him in games that matter, winning twice in the NFC playoffs.

Owens has been angry with the Eagles since management refused to redo his contract only one season into the seven-year million deal he signed when he came to Philadelphia in March 2004.

This was the second time Owens has been suspended during his controversial 10-year career. In 2000, he was suspended one game by then-San Francisco coach Steve Mariucci following his infamous touchdown celebrations on the Dallas Cowboys' famed star logo at the center of Texas Stadium.

Owens clashed with management this summer and earned a one-week exile from training camp after a heated dispute with Reid that followed a shouting match with offensive coordinator Brad Childress.

Owens forced a trade to the Eagles last year after eight seasons with the 49ers and invigorated the offense with his superior skills. He had 77 catches for 1,200 yards and 14 TDs in 14 games, helping the Eagles to a 13-1 start and nine victories by double-digit margins.

The bad blood between Owens and McNabb began after Owens went down with a severely sprained ankle and broken leg in Week 15 against Dallas. Owens was upset that McNabb and other players said the Eagles could reach the Super Bowl without him, which they did.

Soon after Philadelphia lost to the Patriots, Owens took his first shot at McNabb, suggesting the five-time Pro Bowl quarterback was tired in the fourth quarter of the loss.

McNabb responded harshly and the two didn't speak for a prolonged period in training camp. They eventually reconciled their relationship and performed well together on the field -- Owens has 47 catches for 763 yards and six TDs this season.

However, Owens continued to throw verbal jabs at McNabb during his weekly radio show or whenever he granted interviews.
    http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/PHI/9029398

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

It was only a matter of time, Owens is above the game in his own mind and will never settle in the NFL. It is a shame as he has tremendous talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

T.O is only worried about 3 things and thats me, myself and I. theres no I in team, but theres 3 in narcisistic. He maybe the most talented receiver in the NFL but any team can do without all the bitchin he does. I say fair play to Coach Reid for doing what he did, no player is bigger than the team they play for. Remeber he did the same to Jerimiah Trotter a few years back. The only question remains is "Will T.O ever play again, and for whom?", cos it sure as hell won't be the eagles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Have a feeling the falcons will take him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭spooiirt!!

Then im gonna be a falcons fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

He'll probably get another shot alright (but not at Philly!). But as to where is a tricky one. A lot of coaches have this annoying nack of thinking they can change players and a lot of them seem to be steering well clear of TO on this one. No one will want to trade for him, because then they'll be getting all this hassle that the Eagles were getting over his contract, and it's hard to see him settling an agreement in a free agent scenario, when he undoubtedly demands far too much money than anyone is willing to pay. He needs an attitude check if he's ever going to play football in the NFL again. Best he can hope for is if some coach, in an act of momentary sensory deprivation, thinks he can keep a handle on TO, and TO agrees that he will play for his current contract.

• Advertisement

At the end of the day though despite his moronic interviews and comments im sure deep down he loves the game and he will want to get back playing.

Pisses me off cos i just bought an Iggles jersey with Owens 81.... GRRRR.....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

WellyJ wrote:
    Pisses me off cos i just bought an Iggles jersey with Owens 81.... GRRRR.....:mad:

Hehe, I tried to warn you about that one.

Hehe, I tried to warn you about that one.
    :D:D

You did indeed but i'll still wear it with pride......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

evil_seed wrote:
    theres no I in team, but theres 3 in narcisistic.

but there's 4 in platitude quoting idiot.

T.O is a knob he's the best receiver in the conference possibly the league, problem is he knows it. i can't believe he complained about losing the superbowl to the pats, like he was blameless, i remember a couple of dropped passes from the superbowl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Eagles won without T.O before, and we will win without him now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭spooiirt!!

Hes one of the most fun to watch in the league methinkee.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Saints#33

I think the Eagles messed up big time.Again.Donovan McNabb is the most overrated QB in years.He loses it when it counts every single time.Owens was right to say what he said.Heck he didnt even say it-Micheal Irvin did,Owens just agreed.Freddie Mitchell was a top class college receiver and made numerous big plays in Philly,but Mcnabb never threw to him.

The Eagles are done.Trotter agrees with T.O. He took a bum contract to stay and now sees that he should have pushed for more money.Westbrook isnt the happiest camper either.
    15 mil under the salary cap!They should look after their players.

As for Owens,I reckon he'll be a raider very soon,the trade rumored early this season of Jerry Porter for Owens will take place in the coming weeks. Owens and Moss!With Collins throwing deep?That would be legendary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Saints#33 wrote:
    Owens and Moss!With Collins throwing deep?That would be legendary.

That kinda stuff only happens on the PS2. It's be amazing though. Two of the best in the league, even if they are the most hyped.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I just watched a feature on TO in NFL.com. Would I be wrong in thinking that he may have a mental condition? Aspergers or something maybe...

Advertisement