Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

96 Bmw 525 Tds

Options
  • 08-11-2005 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

I am looking at one of these at the weekend, with a view to buy. just wanted to know what the BMW owners thought of them. Its the old old type, has about 130k. 2 years NCT.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I hope you're not thinking of spending a lot of money on it. €5k tops.

I drove a 525i (petrol) of that vintage the other day and it feels really dated. That diesel was good in its day but 150bhp for a 2.5 litre diesel isn't a lot by today's standards and I believe the fuel economy wasn't that great on them either. I would go for a 525i instead if you necessarily want an E34 5-series.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The E34 is reckoned by many to be one of the best BMWs ever made with fewer electrical things to go wrong compared to the E39 (I can confirm this :().
    Have a look at these buying guides from Total BMW Mag:-
    www.totalbmwmag.com/Buying/BuyingJan01.PDF
    www.totalbmwmag.com/Buying/BuyingAug01.PDF (touring)
    Also have a look at www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/e34.html

Do the usual things like being a mechanic with you etc.
    Have you decided on a deisel or would you consider the 2.5 petrol?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I'm set on the diesel, or should i say she is set on a diesel, they're hard to come by. Do you know anyone selling a petrol one, in good nic.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'm set on the diesel, or should i say she is set on a diesel

The E34 is a fine car, way ahead of it's time when introduced in '87, but that diesel is old-school, so you don't get the torque and economy of a modern diesel

What kinda mileage do you do and what's your budget for the car? Early E39 petrols ('96, '97) can be had for very little now and they still look very modern

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

the budget is about 7 - 8k wont be doing crazy mileage lets say below average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

the budget is about 7 - 8k wont be doing crazy mileage lets say below average.

Yours is a '96 E39 523i so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Advertisement