Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dealing with stress

• 08-11-2005 1:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

How do I deal with stress? I get very wound up over tiny little things...I think it's been building up for years, and now i am likely to get really angry/frustrated at any kind of inconvinence, mistake or anything remotely annoying, both at home while i'm supposed to be relaxing, and at work.

I get angry, I feel myself tense up, and I feel like shouting!! I just don't have a release I suppose, nothing to wind me down, or to let it all out.

How do you cope with this, both in the moment, and as a release of tension and stress at the end of the day/week/month/year......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Stress is caused by a build-up of adrenaline.

10,000 years ago we got stressed when the sabre-toothed tiger was about to attack us. So we used adrenaline to help us either fight or run away.

However, when your boss is giving out to you because your work isn't done, it is inappropriate to bludgeon him to death with a piece of office equipment.

Very simply, a few slight changes in your lifestyle will help.
    1. Get some regular exercise, whether orgaised or just walking instead of driving / bussing. It helsp burn off the adrenaline
    2. Cut out / down sugary foods. Snack on fruit instead of sweets.
    3. Do something that actually helps you relax. Set some time aside for you. Have a hot bath with salts or a massage or just do something you like.
    4. Cut down on what causes you stress. Organise yourself differently, change job, build a different relationship with those around you .....

I think www.vhihealth.com and similar sites will have some articles on stress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Without knowing a bit more about your situation it's hard to give specific advice, but the points Victor makes are excellent.

Basically get yourself an outlet for this stress (be it sports or quality time with a partner) and then try to analyse the main areas that cause you stress and remove them if possible (i.e if your job is driving you up the wall think about moving, if its a partner thats causing the majority of the stress then maybe look at whether you have a future together or not.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

i find that boxing (in a club) is a great way to release stress. By the end of an evening you feel a lot more relaxed. Regular exercise will really help to calm you down....also if you are annoyed say it at the time and dont let it build up, if you do you will be really stressed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

Something is obviously bothering you.... something not addressed, and leaking out as stress. Maybe make a list of areas of your life, and mark them from 1 to 10 as areas which contribute to your stress eg.

- commuting
    - job
    - career ( note difference between two )
    - social life or lack thereof
    - romance / sex or lack thereof
    - money
    - family
    - property
    - quality of sleep
    - other commitments

Prioritise them, and ask yourself what options you have....
    Eg. buy a moped instead of the daily fight for seats on the bus/train to work.

regards,
    Owen

Advertisement