Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

XP Prof Reboots for No Reason!

• 08-11-2005 1:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭

Hi All

This is cracking me as most problems would, My PC reboots for no reason what so ever at any time under stress or just sitting there its intermitant but anoying i have a dump capture etc

Manifest.txt came up with

Server=watson.microsoft.com
    UI LCID=1033
    Flags=1696080
    Brand=WINDOWS
    TitleName=Microsoft Windows
    DigPidRegPath=HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId
    ErrorText=A log of this error has been created.
    HeaderText=The system has recovered from a serious error.
    Stage2URL=
    Stage2URL=/dw/bluetwo.asp?BCCode=10000050&BCP1=E508D6D6&BCP2=00000000&BCP3=BF8107E8&BCP4=00000002&OSVer=5_1_2600&SP=2_0&Product=256_1
    DataFiles=D:\DOCUME~1\PAULO'~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER0e75.dir00\Mini110705-01.dmp|D:\DOCUME~1\PAULO'~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER0e75.dir00\sysdata.xml
    ErrorSubPath=blue
    DirectoryDelete=D:\DOCUME~1\PAULO'~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER0e75.dir00

I have a .dmp file if anyone is good @ that kinda stuff

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Have "Automatically Restart" checked in the Startup and Recovery settings?

Control Panel->System->Advanced Tab->Startup and Recovery Settings.

If it still happens... then... uhhh... I'm not sure...

Only other thing I can think of, is those viruses that give you the 1 minute warning and then shut your PC down... update yer antivirus and do a scan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Attach the .dmp.

Disconnect any Inter/Network connections.
    Disable startup items & services (Start>Run>MSCONFIG).
    Then test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

Its not a virus or anything like that System is well locked down!

.DMP Files attached in a ZIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭HomunQlus

Maybe just rename the entry to something else in the registry. In the first post from you it says

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId

That's a registry path.

Start regedit.exe

Go to this path (HKLM is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE)

See what's in there, rename the key DigitalProductId to something else and reboot, see if the problem is still there.

If so, I don't have any idea.

HomunQlus wrote:
    Maybe just rename the entry to something else in the registry. In the first post from you it says

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId

That's a registry path.

Start regedit.exe

Go to this path (HKLM is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE)

See what's in there, rename the key DigitalProductId to something else and reboot, see if the problem is still there.

If so, I don't have any idea.
    What Would renaming do hope it wont messit up, what you reckon it is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

On 2 seperate PC's i've built (yours problem may be different of course) it was a hardware issue between the graphics card and the motherboard. Switching either one solved the random resets...

On another PC it was caused by overly aggressive performance (graphics and memory) settings in the BIOS.

Can also abe caused because of overheating.

So basically my experience of the majority random resets has usually been that it was caused by hardware issues... Just something else to consider.

Either way its a pain :mad:

Cheers will try, if anyone else comes up with ideas let me know,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,522 ✭✭✭irishgeo

was getting blue screens and serious errors on my PC a while back.Downloaded Memtest boot floppy and i tested the memory and found a faulty stick of RAM.

Does it crash in the state I suggested previously (Sorry for the delay in posting again..)?
    Also, is this a legal copy of XP Pro?:) [a wink would suffice if you'd rather not incriminate yourself;) ]
    Also, how long has this issue been occurring..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Like someone above said, disable the option to auto-reboot on a serious error, just so that you will be able to see the blue screen error when it happens, which you can then post here :)

That has to be the most retarded default 'feature' ever - make it reboot, hope the user doesn't notice, with the handy side effect that they can't see the error message :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Since no one else said anything about the minidump:

memory dump basically says
    Stop 0x00000050 or PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

The Stop 0x50 message indicates that requested data was not in memory. The system generates an exception error when using a reference to an invalid system memory address. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause Stop 0x50 messages.

Error parameters they're referring to are
    BugCheckCode . . . . .0x10000050
    BugCheckParameter1 . .0xe508d6d6
    BugCheckParameter2 . .0x00000000
    BugCheckParameter3 . .0xbf8107e8
    BugCheckParameter4 . .0x00000002

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmd_stp_tnvo.asp

*..could have sworn OP said they ran memtest and it was OK.. (Re-reads: ah,must have got confused-irishgeo's post.must sleep.)
    I'll re-iterate what i've said before -this will try to establish if it's software-based.
    *Also, run memtest or similar to check the RAM + scandisk.

Advertisement