Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US used white phospherus on civilians in Fallujah

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Bunny

Moriarty wrote:
    I guess so. Yes I've watched it. What I knew before I watched it: It's shít, but people die in war. Often horribly. What I know after watching it: It's shít, but people die in war. Often horribly. Beyond that..

I thought the war was over? I remember at the time there seemed to be little surprise that the Americans had bombed the hospital to prevent witness reports from doctors/casualties, that ambulances were being regularily shot to pieces, that many civilians were being found with neat little holes in their heads (snipers) and that strange explosions were being seen in the city despite the media blackout. The use of WP is not surprising, as is the use of cluster bombs and fuel-air bombs (the Russians dropped fairly big ones on the civilians of Grozny in Chechnya, noone batted an eyelid) but as an army of self-righteous liberation in a supposed post-war cleanup (making an example of Fallujah) it seems a tad hypocritical to be using such weapons.

In World War 2 the soldiers who operated the flame throwing tanks were very often shot outright if they were captured because few of the soldiers on either side had much sympathy for that kind of weapon. If people die horribly in war why just not gas Fallujah? drop nerve gas on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Bunny wrote:
    I thought the war was over? I remember at the time there seemed to be little surprise that the Americans had bombed the hospital

But there was outcry here and in plenty of other palces about the bombing of the hospital.
    to prevent witness reports from doctors/casualties,
    Is that fact or speculation?
    that ambulances were being regularily shot to pieces, that many civilians were being found with neat little holes in their heads (snipers) and that strange explosions were being seen in the city despite the media blackout.
    All of which clearly only allied weaponry could do?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I think Bill Hicks summed it up well when he quipped .. Tony Blair to G.W.B.: How did you know the Iraqis had WMD? .. to which G.W.B. replied :
    We kept the reciepts .......

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Someone said that a bomb that killed people 150m away is a WMD. Had a great giggle there. Most bombs that are dropped from a plane will do that. Its also called shrapnel.

Also, as for saying what should be a chemical weapon due to its contents, well, if you look @ any bomb, you'll find some sort of chemical in it.

So it incinerates people. Big deal. Its hardly going to give them long life, is it? Do you have a better way to kill people that you have no access to, and they don't want to talk. They just want you to either lay down your weapon on convert to their religon, or die. Which do you want to do? To become one of them, or kill them?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

the_syco wrote:
    Someone said that a bomb that killed people 150m away is a WMD. Had a great giggle there. Most bombs that are dropped from a plane will do that. Its also called shrapnel.

Also, as for saying what should be a chemical weapon due to its contents, well, if you look @ any bomb, you'll find some sort of chemical in it.

So it incinerates people. Big deal. Its hardly going to give them long life, is it? Do you have a better way to kill people that you have no access to, and they don't want to talk. They just want you to either lay down your weapon on convert to their religon, or die. Which do you want to do? To become one of them, or kill them?

completely missed the point

This weapon was used indiscriminately in a city. It was used against civilians and insurgents alike. You are right, any weapon can kill indiscriminately, why don't we just nuke the city and get it over with then?

It was an act of terrorism pure and simple

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

completely missed the point

This weapon was used indiscriminately in a city. It was used against civilians and insurgents alike. You are right, any weapon can kill indiscriminately, why don't we just nuke the city and get it over with then?

They are also bound to the rules of the geneva convention :/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Are you saying that they deliberately targetted what they knew to be civilians? That their intent was to frighten the remaining civilian populace?

Criminal negligence, perhaps. War crime (at a stretch), were they given orders to kill everything that moved despite knowing there were still civilians. But terrorism?

Is terrorism now redefined to be any act which ends up killing civilians through showing disregard to their life (if thats what happened here)?

jc

bonkey wrote:
    Are you saying that they deliberately targetted what they knew to be civilians? That their intent was to frighten the remaining civilian populace?

In my opinion, yes
    Criminal negligence, perhaps. War crime (at a stretch), were they given orders to kill everything that moved despite knowing there were still civilians. But terrorism?

Most people seem to have the opinion that you cannot be terrorised by states.
    Is terrorism now redefined to be any act which ends up killing civilians through showing disregard to their life (if thats what happened here)?

No redefinition by me, I have always understoood that to deliberately target civilians in order to terrorise them is terrorism.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

tallus wrote:
    They are also bound to the rules of the geneva convention :/
    You're not going to try and argue that point? :eek: ...before you do - check the ligitmacy of...
    a) pre-emptive strikes,
    b) "enemy combatants",
    c) Camp X-ray/Gitmo and the likes,
    d) the treatment of prisoners in Abu Garave (or however its spelt) etc.,
    e) outsourcing tourture.

:v: :v: :v: Geneva convention :v: :v: :v: what a hoot!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Watched that video there. I got the impression of a blatant agenda, from stuff like

Q) "you were ordered to shoot 10 year old children?!?!"
    A) "Anyone with an AK-47 was a target"
    Q) "SO- YOU WERE ORDERED TO SHOOT CHILDREN!

Despite dealing with the battle of Fallujah I dont recall the documentary asking why the US was in Fallujah, nor do I recall the documentary asking what steps the US took to limit civillian casualties.

Guys from a human rights group set up in Fallujah in 2004 (wonderful track pedigree, a lobby group criticising the US set up in the heart of insurgency central) are given the platform with no tricky questions about who their backers are.

As for the evidence of use of WP as , the evidence is hardly open and shut. Photos of burnt bodies are not unexpected in a battlezone, and the determination that a body is that of a civillian is to check whether they have a flak jacket. Because all insurgents have flak jackets. No insurgent would leave the house without a flak jacket. Makes you wonder why the US has such a hard time finding them in Iraq.

None of those interviewed presented any evidence of WP being used as an bombardment weapon. The marine can only tell us with great difficulty that it was announced when WP was being used. Used for what? The Italian journalist can only tell us she heard unconfirmed rumours, and demonstrates her partiality doing so. Ive heard rumours that it was the Jews who attacked the WTC.

And whilst the US are nefarious enough to apparently use chemical weapons, theyre dim enough to let civillian doctors in to deal with the dead, thus revealing to the world their plot? With people this dim, and with serving soldiers ready to testify and evidence apparently all over the place why arent their any convictions?

And I loved the ex-Labour one at the end, going on about how Saddam was no threat to anyone. Like Sean Penn she must believe Saddams Iraq was a land of chocolate, and rainbows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Nuttzz wrote:
    WP isnt a new weapon, nor is its use banned by any treaty.

WP is a horrific weapon, a link to the documentry might be useful

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_phosphorus_incendiary

Use on civilians or near civilians is banned by the Convention on Conventional weapons (as mentioned in that article), but the US are not a signatory to the WP section. Thus there is no legal issue, but a clear moral issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

it's great,
    when you are a muslim country that doesn't agree to follow international treaties you are a rogue state,

but when you are the USA and act in defiance of such treaties you are a beacon of freedom and justice.

Earthman wrote:
    The comment is valid, as consistency across threads and posts is an important function of the credibility of what a poster posts.

Hmmm... Is it really valid considering he has brought NI into this thread and glibly accused me of hypocrisy without a shred of evidence!! Strange one that!!

Hmmm... Is it really valid considering he has brought NI into this thread and glibly accused me of hypocrisy without a shred of evidence!! Strange one that!!
    I dunno - perhaps you could have addressed the comment?
    I'll ask you in the absence of the poster then.
    Do you think the IRA were wrong to bomb pubs in England when they knew they were bound to be civilians killed?
    And do you think SF are wrong to cheer the people that did that and similar at their conferences?
    Isnt it the exact same thing that Bush does with regard to those that performed for him in Falluja?
    He lauds them aswell doesnt he?

Earthman wrote:
    I dunno - perhaps you could have addressed the comment?
    I'll ask you in the absence of the poster then.
    Do you think the IRA were wrong to bomb pubs in England when they knew they were bound to be civilians killed?
    And do you think SF are wrong to cheer the people that did that and similar at their conferences?
    Isnt it the exact same thing that Bush does with regard to those that performed for him in Falluja?
    He lauds them aswell doesnt he?

Hang on a minute here..... I have no problem answering the McCartyite questions but since when was it policy on Boards.ie Politics forum to question people about totally unrelated matter to ascertain what their views are and see if somebody was a hypocrite or not?

I seem to recall a thread earlier this year where I alluded to the fact that nearly everybody is a hyprcrite when they say they do not believe in violence. I also seem to recall that the mods stated it was out of bounds to raise the issue without specific examples stated of posters on Boards.ie.

Has the policy of Boards changed and it is acceptable to question posters in one thread about their views of an unrelated matter to determine if they are not being consistant and a hypocrite?

I have to laugh but the post in question was not even directed at me directly but referred to in a reply to another person. I ignored it because it was irrelevant to the discussion in this thread or so I thought?

Hang on a minute here..... I have no problem answering the McCartyite questions but since when was it policy on Boards.ie Politics forum to question people about totally unrelated matter to ascertain what their views are and see if somebody was a hypocrite or not?
    I'd hardly regard it mccarthyite to expect to hold the same values in separate threads.Looking at the post thats what you were asked.
    I seem to recall a thread earlier this year where I alluded to the fact that nearly everybody is a hyprcrite when they say they do not believe in violence. I also seem to recall that the mods stated it was out of bounds to raise the issue without specific examples stated of posters on Boards.ie.

Has the policy of Boards changed and it is acceptable to question posters in one thread about their views of an unrelated matter to determine if they are not being consistant and a hypocrite?
    No change there at all.You are expected to be consistant between threads and thats something I've always maintained.
    I have to laugh but the post in question was not even directed at me directly but referred to in a reply to another person. I ignored it because it was irrelevant to the discussion in this thread or so I thought?
    Well do you want to answer it, so I can determine on it once and for all and let that be the end of it.
    It's in the interests of all posters to be consistant because it damages the credibility of what they post if they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Well its official (saw it on TV, will dig a link for earthman), the US have admitted that they used it as a weapon in the place. However as everyone there was classed as an enemy combatent its alll oook. :rolleyes:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4440664.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Hobbes wrote:
    Well its official (saw it on TV, will dig a link for earthman), the US have admitted that they used it as a weapon in the place. However as everyone there was classed as an enemy combatent its alll oook. :rolleyes:

Well, nothing on RTÉ or Sky News. Also nothing on RTÉ about the 170 starving Iraqi prisoners found (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4440134.stm). Very disappointing that the media seem to be ignoring this, yet every US soldier killed makes the news. Makes me wonder about RTÉ's motives.

Hobbes wrote:

It's ok Hobbes, I can recognise hypocrisy when I see it :)

Note I only entered this thread to moderate

Earthman wrote:
    I'd hardly regard it mccarthyite to expect to hold the same values in separate threads.

I agree, does that mean we can now go questioning people across threads without offering evidence?
    Looking at the post thats what you were asked.

What post? I was not asked anything by RC

No change there at all.You are expected to be consistant between threads and thats something I've always maintained.

I agree, does that mean we can now go questioning people across threads without offering evidence?
    Well do you want to answer it

Of course I can answer it. I do not feel it is a valid thing for a poster to do without offering evidence, obviously you do.
    so I can determine on it once and for all and let that be the end of it.

Why is it important that you can determine on it when no evidence was offered by the person who first raised it? Usually that is the angle that the mods take in circumstances like this, why has that changed?
    It's in the interests of all posters to be consistant because it damages the credibility of what they post if they are not.

I agree but where is the evidence that I am not consistant?

To specifically answer your questions:

Yes, Yes, Yes & Yes

• Advertisement

No

What post? I was not asked anything by RC
    Actually technically you were, in that the post was an indirect reference to yours and the poster said they would accept that they were wrong if you condemned IRA activity in the same way as you do with what goes on in Falluja.
    You've done that so theres no hypocrisy there.
    I'm going to actively discourage a repeat performance of this episode by the way unless the hypocrisy is blatantly apparent.
    No.
    But to be frank,I had you categorised as a SF supporter a party who most certainly are hypocritical on their attitude to the US war and the IRA war.
    You dont agree with them-thats fine,glad you've clarified that for me actually :)

Of course I can answer it. I do not feel it is a valid thing for a poster to do without offering evidence, obviously you do.
    I actually approached this from the perspective of being aware of your SF support so I think its understandable given their conflicting stances that I'd be interested in a clarification of yours.

Why is it important that you can determine on it when no evidence was offered by the person who first raised it? Usually that is the angle that the mods take in circumstances like this, why has that changed?
    Theres been no change and I was interested in the clarifications for the reasons already stated.
    consistency is very important.You've cleared that up.

Now back on topic please.
    I'll split this tangent away to a separate thread at the earliest opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Well, nothing on RTÉ or Sky News. Also nothing on RTÉ about the 170 starving Iraqi prisoners found (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4440134.stm). Very disappointing that the media seem to be ignoring this, yet every US soldier killed makes the news. Makes me wonder about RTÉ's motives.

Yep, I've never been too convinced about RTE's news coverage; BBC all the way for me, except for local stuff.

And yep, condemning the US blowing up civilians while defending the right of local terrorists to do same is weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Earthman wrote:
    No

but it's okay for you to do it I guess? You consistantly tell people to not drag issues from other threads into a topic, yet you can be seen doing so clearly here and it's pointed out by several posters. Off course since you are both debater and moderator you can easily declare them all wrong. Or I guess you will declare that you didn't "sublty" drag arguements from other threads into this one, and well since you happen to be in a convenient position of making a judgement on yourself there is no problem there at all.

As you said above... one can spot hypocrisy when they see it.

or better yet, why don't you make several off topic posts then tell everyone else to get back on topic before making another off topic post to "refute" the points and close the thread. (am i dragging arguements from other threads here or simply asking a poster to remain consistant accross threads.....)

Earthman wrote:

Not entirely sure what you mean. Prehaps you can explain in PM? Just if I post something I saw on the TV you immediatly jump on me looking for a source. :p

Gone to PM

Dub... let it go.. If you want to continue the discussion take it to a PM. Safer that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Earthman wrote:
    Zulu if I see a comment from you like that again, You will be taking a spell in the sin bin.
    The comment is valid, as consistency across threads and posts is an important function of the credibility of what a poster posts.
    Earthman wrote:

Hummmm, I get a warning, but you get to attempt to drag the discussion off topic under the guise of moderating! I'd suggest you argue the point raised here - if your points are valid, that shouldn't be any trouble. ....or perhaps thats the problem?

If thats how discussions are moderated here, save yourself the trouble, I'll refrain from posting in Politics again.

Zulu wrote:
    Hummmm, I get a warning, but you get to attempt to drag the discussion off topic under the guise of moderating! I'd suggest you argue the point raised here - if your points are valid, that shouldn't be any trouble. ....or perhaps thats the problem?

If thats how discussions are moderated here, save yourself the trouble, I'll refrain from posting in Politics again.

It's not for the posters here to moderate its for the mods.
    I chose not to participate in this thread but I do intend to mod it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Sand wrote:

As for the evidence of use of WP as , the evidence is hardly open and shut. Photos of burnt bodies are not unexpected in a battlezone, and the determination that a body is that of a civillian is to check whether they have a flak jacket. Because all insurgents have flak jackets. No insurgent would leave the house without a flak jacket. Makes you wonder why the US has such a hard time finding them in Iraq.

None of those interviewed presented any evidence of WP being used as an bombardment weapon. The marine can only tell us with great difficulty that it was announced when WP was being used. Used for what? The Italian journalist can only tell us she heard unconfirmed rumours, and demonstrates her partiality doing so. Ive heard rumours that it was the Jews who attacked the WTC.

Here's the evidence "straight from the horses mouth"

http://www.commondreams.org/views05/1115-29.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Repeating the same things again and again doesn't make it true, sovtek. A lot of people seem to miss that point. There's nothing new in that link and every argument it puts forward has been rebuffed earlier in this very thread.

Advertisement