Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Familiar Faces

• 08-11-2005 9:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Any thoughts on this?

I appear to be in a phase where everyone I meet looks familiar to me.... sometimes I am able to understand why (ie. similiar mannorism to someone I know). But its getting to the stage where its really bugging me, as I often tend to then wonder do I know this person, and rack my brain trying to place them, or who there remind me of.

I was wondering has anyone thoughts on this? As Im begining to romance the idea that maybe these people are familiar for other pschye reasons.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I went through a phase of this myself, I never really though much of it at the time, or thought there was anything paranormal about it. But thinking about it now ....

There's been a lot of research done on what triggers facial recognition and it turns out a lot of things can (according to the discovery channel anyway :) ). Familiar smells or noises or all kinds of other little details can trigger a sense of recognition of a face. If we wanted to put a paranormal slant on this, and we might aswell, I might suggest that perhaps you're starting to see things in people beyond their physical appearance. Maybe you're in some way picking up fleeting thoughts, emotions or feelings, and when these match with those you've picked up from other people you are more familiar with it triggers a sense of recognition.

I'm sure there's plenty of more rational explanations, that's just the best paranormal one I can think of, others might include knowing them from past lives, or possibly they were all part of some mass alien abduction, along with yourself. That's really clutching at straws though :)

Advertisement